FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Today At Tag Motorsport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, today, with a little help from Simon, Rob, my buddy Adrian, and the ever-accomodating folks at TAG Motorsport, my focus finally hit the rollers.

Note that the runs were done with a stock MAF, vortech supercharger and SCT tune... so the car cuts out at about 5200 RPM.. the 1st run went to the limit. The second run was to 5,000

<a href='http://www.darkpuppet.com/images/tag_dyno.jpg'>[Image: tag_dyno.jpg]</a>

The car drives like a totally different car now... no idle hanging, no rev pulsing on off throttle... engine braking rules, and there is absolutely no stumble at 3-4k like before... this is the way a supercharged car should run....

Can't wait to get a properly sized MAF (and not that Cobra behemoth) on the car.....

Major props to Rob and Simon... I'm such a noob, it's great to get smacked around until I start listening. :) ..learned a lot tho!

And I can't say enough about the folks at TAG. 3 days at the shop, tying up their dyno, frustrating them with noob questions, and to walk away with a free t-shirt and a bill that makes me feel bad for ripping them off... man, you just can't go wrong.
Why is it cutting out at 5200rpm?
hardk0re/s2,May 15 2004, 09:14 PM Wrote:Why is it cutting out at 5200rpm?
MAF Sensor Stock 5volt cut. With the draw from the blower it sees far more air than it was ever programed to.

Glad it's running well puppet see ya tomrrow!!!!

Don't forget the sunblock!
:ph34r: Interesting....not much different than a good head package... but it was almost free for you of course ;) Minus the tuning. Cant wait to see it in person B)

-P@
with a head package running NA i think that would be 160whp at 7000+rpm

he's seeing that power output at 5000rpm.. when he revs it up a bit more i think he will get 200whp

that must be awesome steve congrats.. a focus with almost 60 more whp than stock must be fun!! its must be starting to feel like a stock integra R
Does this mean your comming to Bronte? :D
Awsome stuff. I would like to see what happens at higher revs..
Remember guys is car it totaly stock as far as the exhaust and motor go. They just bolted it on. He won't see much more than 170 without an exhaust. With a race header and exhaust he could see 185ish.

Euro Ford Fan,May 16 2004, 07:14 AM Wrote:Remember guys is car it totaly stock as far as the exhaust and motor go. They just bolted it on. He won't see much more than 170 without an exhaust. With a race header and exhaust he could see 185ish.
My thoughts exactly....I can just imagine the potential :D
yeah, I'm with Simon... 170-ish with the stock exhaust, 185-190 tops with an exhaust... which would put my car to putting over 200HP at the crank (woot!)...and I even have a little bit of torque..nothing massive early in the curve like a turbo'd car, but still very driveable.

I'll be taking the dirty little car to Bronte..just packing up my unprepared self... yeah, went straight to bed lastnight, and the drugstores aren't open this morning, so I'm going for the farmer's sunburn... should be fun!

l8r
steve
Steve: Im coming to Bronte as well.... but just to spectate. You can use my wheels/tires it you want, Might help w/ your times a bit ;)

-P@
Good luck everyone!!!!

Sounds like eveyone is going to have a blast... :)
I really like that chart!!! ... Cant wait to see it when you can rev to 7+
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Rob got his car on there for 3 pulls. Bets were made, and the numbers of the pulls came at 173, 171, and 163HP (p-51, you might have to correct me as I'm working with 3 day old memory)... the torque curve on the other hand was immediate and massive!

I felt sorry for the Quaiffe... you know Rob, it probably wouldn't mind a gentler life, like a life in my car :P

And for those who're wondering about those numbers, this is a non-cooled, custom aerocharger configuration, tuned on the backroads of Farmtown Windsor, running 17&quot; wheels and bigger brakes (proven HP robbers on the dyno).... to say it's impressive is an understatement.
So Steve-O when are you getting an exhaust man.....?
Paparoach,May 17 2004, 01:18 PM Wrote:So Steve-O when are you getting an exhaust man.....?
I dunno if that's going to happen this year... $$$$$ and I need tires, not just for autoX, but because I'm running out of tread on an already dreadful tire.

in order of importance:

1) properly sized, installed and tuned MAF
2) new tires and/or wheels and tires
3) exhaust
darkpuppet,May 17 2004, 09:20 AM Wrote:
Paparoach,May 17 2004, 01:18 PM Wrote:So Steve-O when are you getting an exhaust man.....?
I dunno if that's going to happen this year... $$$$$ and I need tires, not just for autoX, but because I'm running out of tread on an already dreadful tire.

in order of importance:

1) properly sized, installed and tuned MAF
3) exhaust
Tires smires....exhaust.... :lol:
It was great meeting Steve and Dan and Pat, and getting to know Simon better, the XR4Ti was everything I thought it would be. Way cool car.

The dyno operators were pretty much what I have come to expect, though they were willing to listen to other ideas, and certainly gave Steve a smokin deal considering how much trouble he had.

I was pleased as punch with my dyno results. I was dreaming of a 170, realistically expecting a 160, and fearing a 150 due to imagined engine damage from a year of abuse as I learned to tune.

I pulled a best of 170hp at 5600rpm, but even more impressive was the double-hump torque curve. First 175 ft-lbs at 2600rpm, then dips to 165 at about 3000rpm, and then back up to a whopping 187ft-lbs at 3700 rpm which hung around to about 4500rpm. It showed the need for an intercooler though, as I lost 6hp by the third run.
darkpuppet,May 17 2004, 01:20 PM Wrote:1) properly sized, installed and tuned MAF
3) exhaust
i guess 'free' mods are never free
yeah, nothing is truly for free, especially when it's trial-by-error. :P

And the more I think about it, the more I wonder about the path I should take. If I get a GT MAF from a wrecker it will cost $55-75 approximately (or maybe a bit more). Then I have to buy adapters to get the inlet and outlet to match the supercharger inlet and filter outlet diameters, all the while hoping I can fit it in approximately the same location it's already in (not the cleanest, but so far no problems with water).

So figure $100 more for parts, and an hour or two of shop time. Total cost could run upwards of $300+ just for the MAF. Then the fit/finish may not be what I expect (with the cobra MAF in, the filter hung straight down, a bit lower, and maybe a bit closer to the wheel than I was comfortable with).

Or I could get a 65mm Pro-M calibrated for 250HP, bolt it up with my current hardware, no switching around, and possibly spend extra time on the dyno tweaking the MAF transfer function (but that's why I'm buying the datalogger).

The initial cost of the pro-M is a bit steeper, but there's a greater chance for easy fit and finish, with possible added tuning time. But I do know the location of the filter and intake relative to the MAF works.

The GT MAF is a bit less expensive, requires adapters to fit, requiring time for fitment/fabrication...and makes me wonder how the location of the filter, tube size changes, and possibly closer location to the inlet (and diverter hose) will affect the MAF.

Just a few things that really make me wish I had a shop with all the different parts, so I would only have to pay for what works, but have access to EVERYTHING. TAG comes close, but not sure they'll be so kind about shop time the second visit :P. I really want to be able to slap on a MAF, and hit the dyno in the same hour the next time.
Pages: 1 2