FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Half Shaft Options?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think mine are shot, what is out there?

I'll consider anything "even if we have to fly in parts from japan".......err I mean "even if we have to fly parts in from the UK (Cosworth)".

Is there anything out there better than OEM like RS, Cosworth, Ford Europe, Quiaffe.........?
http://www.quaifeamerica.com/downloads/56-58.pdf

quaife has some half shafts

the SVT focus uses beefier halfs shafts than the rest of the 2.0 16v focus but i have no idea if they will fit.. time for FJ search i guess

out of curiosity.. people have been doing double/triple the stock power output on OEM half shafts.. so i'm guess the motivation here is hatred for giving any more money to ford?
how do you diagnose a worn half-shaft?
None really...or that I've been able to gather from anyone online :(

Out of warranty, expect to pay about $350 for a new halfshaft with labour. However, the TSB on the problem calls for pressing out the bearing and slipping in the new one. Funny how the TSB came out after me replacing mine.

I've gone through two of them. :unsure:
j3rt,May 14 2004, 05:48 PM Wrote:how do you diagnose a worn half-shaft?
Yeah... what symptoms should I be seeing w/ a bad halfshaft?

-P@

lordkingod,May 15 2004, 10:24 AM Wrote:
j3rt,May 14 2004, 05:48 PM Wrote:how do you diagnose a worn half-shaft?
Yeah... what symptoms should I be seeing w/ a bad halfshaft?

-P@
On the road: Droning coming from the front...mainly about the mid-section of the car. It gets louder as you go faster; however, it can easily be misdiagnosed as tire noise. For those who have had a bad rear wheel bearing, it's not as pronounced as that. It will be very mild. You will need to shut off the fan and radio. If you have an aftermarket exhaust system, it will be even more difficult to diagnose.

Under the car:

<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard.lee5/imgs4boards/halfshaft02.jpg'>[Image: halfshaft02.jpg]</a>

It's that rusty blur. The outer part is the support bearing. From what I'm told, the support hasn't been properly shielding the bearing. The TSB is supposed to address both the worn-out bearing and a new support.
How do I diagnose? Pure speculation! It is making the same sound as when a CV joint went on my old car. As GabpBoy can attest I have a whole world of different creaks and groans. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and drop it off at Ford. My instructions will be diagnose only as if any parts are worn I'll source aftermarket replacements.
if there's a TSB out on something does that mean ford fixes it for free?

If we are just speculating, I think its your grill thats making the noise. You should swap it with mine. I'm sure it will fix the problem.
:D :D
hardk0re/s2,May 17 2004, 11:46 AM Wrote:If we are just speculating, I think its your grill thats making the noise. You should swap it with mine. I'm sure it will fix the problem.
:D :D
hahaha :lol:
naz,May 17 2004, 12:20 PM Wrote:if there's a TSB out on something does that mean ford fixes it for free?
Unfortunately TSBs are really only for the shops in order to identify the problem more efficiently....has nothing to do with Ford fixing it for free or not.

Paparoach,May 18 2004, 03:48 PM Wrote:Unfortunately TSBs are really only for the shops in order to identify the problem more efficiently....has nothing to do with Ford fixing it for free or not.
that's wonderful.. on one hand.. its nice of them to let us know there is a problem.. on the other hand.. why the hell are there so many problems!!!

oh wait.. i don't care anymore.. i ditched my focus :D :unsure:
The TSBs are really good for customer pay jobs because the last thing the customer wants is hours of dignostics....
2001 ZTS,May 17 2004, 07:52 AM Wrote:How do I diagnose? Pure speculation! It is making the same sound as when a CV joint went on my old car. As GabpBoy can attest I have a whole world of different creaks and groans. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and drop it off at Ford. My instructions will be diagnose only as if any parts are worn I'll source aftermarket replacements.
After driving your car on Dyno Day, I'm not sure what your issue(s) lie.

I should have driven it on the highway to double check on the halfshaft. That's when mine was really prominent. You have to shut the a/c fan OFF and have all other toys in the car off (i.e. no radio). A slight drone would seem like it's a wheel bearing noise...but it seems like it's coming from the centre dash.

As for your creaks and groans, I don't know why you have so many. I know your end-links are WAY different than the ones on mine (even when I had the originals on). I wasn't able to see the rubber sleeve coming off the top strut/spring locale...unless it already came off. After I drove your car, I swear it's a totally different car compared to mine. Unless there was an unknown suspension change in 2002, our cars should be identical. Either that, or wifey has been doin' some major cruisin' with the green machine.

What I would do is just DIY on the end-links. I believe it's not that hard to do...as long as the car is on jack stands. If it's the rubber sleeve, then that's a major repair as you need to take the strut off the car.

PS&gt; As for TSBs, a lot of other car companies have them. It's just with major domestic manufacturers, people tend to have looser lips and the word gets out on them.