FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Need some advice.

I drive a 2002 ZX5 and it now has 53K. As much as I would like to do some performance mods, I cant afford the nice toys and my vehicle is strictly for commuting 100kms per day. So…I’m going to replace front Rotors and pads very soon (my self)…like this weekend.

I’ve read the threads on brakes but I need more info.

I want to know what other options I should consider other than OEM pads and rotors $$$$. Im not too crazy about ordering in the US so what else is out there that is readily available locally.

Has anyone dealt with Car quest Canada for parts. Any other suppliers I should consider

Thanks…sorry this post is so darn long.
welcome..

for the one hundred trillionth time.. i'm going to suggest brembo blank rotors and hawk HPS pads... change over the brake fluid to ford "blue can" (heavy duty DOT3 with very high dry boiling point) and some azenis sport for the OEM wheels

best bang for the buck IMHO

pretty much any 'name brand' pad is going to be ok like carbotech, hawk, ferrodo, porterfield.. and i'd stay away from drilled rotors.. slotted rotors i guess the jury is still out on those.. but i'd personally still stay away from them
Stick with the OEM ;)
look in the phone book or online for "Altrom Canada"

it is oem quality parts and its the best price you will ever find.

the rotors are Brembo Blanks (same style as ford stock)
and the pads are medium type pads but brake better than stock.

all in all, it will cost you around 125$ all included.

its a very easy job to do, just make sure you retorque your wheels equaly since they are "floating" rotors.
Welcome, don't worry about mod and with daily car I drove 100+ km everyday for 4ys now and my car still going strong. And most of my mod is not too expensive, 2nd hand, ebay...etc.

Back on topic, I suggest Mintex pad as they have alot less dust and feel alot better.
^^^^ What Marc said.... however I dont think its that easy to order from them unless your a distributor (cuz I tried). I have a number for some people here in toronto that distribute for Altrom... they usually mark the rotors and pads up like $10.... So for Brembo Blanks and PBR performance pads it would be $135 - $145

Ill get the number tomorrow and post it here ;)

ps. their at Kennedy and Ellesmere (pretty easy to get to)
Wasnt it found a while back on focaljet that the stock rotors from ford were basically in themselves bremo blanks?

I havent been the best "focus follower" as of resently .. just want to know if anymore info on this has come out ...
i think ordering brembo blanks themselves is cheaper than getting ford branded brembos

not 100% on this cuz i don't remember .. but i did price out OEM rotors/pads and went with brembo/hawk because it was cheaper
naz,May 12 2004, 09:29 PM Wrote:i think ordering brembo blanks themselves is cheaper than getting ford branded brembos

not 100% on this cuz i don't remember .. but i did price out OEM rotors/pads and went with brembo/hawk because it was cheaper
Are they (the brembo's) in all other ways the same Naz? How much did your pads run you? I'm thinking of changing out my fairly worn stock pads when I switch out my tyres..
pads were $68usd pair and rotors were $86usd pair.. i got them from tirerack

i believe the local ford dealer wanted same price for OEM pads and like $127usd pair for rotors

not sure what dealer cost was, i didn't bother since i wanted the less dusting that the hawk HPS provide.. it could be that the ford dealer cost of the rotors is less than tire rack.. i don't know

as for the OEM for the rotors being brembo.. i don't know for sure sorry
Heres the number for the place where I got my brakes:

416 490 8159

Beware they only speak "Engrish" :lol:

-P@