FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fk Coilovers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

<a href='http://chillinto.com/user_images/1127-40373.jpg'>[Image: 1127-40373.jpg]

The Car Handels Amazing
but i wish it could go lower i think thats as low as i can go in the back but i'm gonna check it out when the weather warms up

the front has lotsa room to go lower
LOL dont pull a focis8nt. Didnt get a wheel alignment and he ended up spending $500 on two new tires..
*drools into keyboard*

Verrrrry nice. :)
what tires are you running

that drop looks nice
Drop what drop.... :D
thanks guys more pics are comming soon just havent had many good days yet

plus i havent had an alignment done yet ( cash flow is very low for the time being )

the tires are stockers i think 195 60

more pics comming soon

next i wanna go full sway bars then strut towerbraces if i cant beat them all i at least wanna handel like a race car
Why not do the alignment yourself? It's actually really easy because with stock alignment points (not camber plates or bolts) all you can adjust is toe.

The rear works really well with 1/16 toe-in on either side and 0 toe on the front. To adjust rear toe all you have to do is loosen the eccentric bolt that holds the trailing arm to the subframe and turn it. To measure toe you can use a toe plate (aka big piece of plywood) against the wheel or tie a string between two axle stands and place them parallel to the side of the car. Now position the stands so that the string is 12&quot; from each wheel hub. The difference between the distance from the front lip of the wheel and the rear lip of the wheel is your toe.

The front is even easier; loosen the nuts on the steering arm and turn them in or out, depending if you have toe in or to out (use the same measuring technique as above). you only have to measure one side of the front because you can just count the number of threads exposed on the steering arm you just did and match it on the opposite side.

DISCO! your car is aligned. I noticed a marked improvement of initial turn-in with 1/16 toe-in on the rear. Also, the inside edge of my rear tires wore at a reduced rate.
Nice to be able to adjust the front/rear drop. I got sportlines and am stuck with whatever drop they gave me. Your drop looks good.
_JC_,May 4 2004, 05:33 AM Wrote:the tires are stockers i think 195 60

next i wanna go full sway bars then strut towerbraces if i cant beat them all i at least wanna handel like a race car
if you've got the stock tires on there i'm pretty sure all you've done is improve the way the car feels to you.. (which as some value)

but the car isn't going to be able to hold any more speed along the same line as before you paid money for the suspension

time to bust out the wallet for some sticky rubber.. don't go 1/2 ass either.. get something like yoko A032R :)
all good things come to those who wait ! :D

commings soon 18's
_JC_,May 5 2004, 05:11 AM Wrote:all good things come to those who wait ! :D

commings soon 18's
i said get sticky rubber

not get pHaT 18 inCh WheeLZ y0

:lol:

stickier tires with a 60 series tires is not gonna help very much. in the end i'm going to have a massive side wall on the tire that will flex under hard cornering
_JC_,May 5 2004, 02:23 PM Wrote:stickier tires with a 60 series tires is not gonna help very much. in the end i'm going to have a massive side wall on the tire that will flex under hard cornering
oh boy :lol: :rolleyes:
this is obviously gonna be a show car

p.s. Dude strut tower braces and 18's arent gonna help you out in the performance department.
_JC_,May 5 2004, 06:23 PM Wrote:stickier tires with a 60 series tires is not gonna help very much. in the end i'm going to have a massive side wall on the tire that will flex under hard cornering
the tires i am taking about putting on the OEM wheels are stuff like yoko A032R, toyo RA1... you are talking that you 'wanna handle like a race car' right.. that is what you are going to need to do that

you can put any 18&quot; tire you want on that car, with all that $$ put into the suspension.. you will get decimated by someone with a stock focus who has wrapped their their OEM wheels in R comps. end of story.

R comps &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; street tire

besides.. even with relatively crap tires like kumho 712s, i break traction before the sidewalls roll over...

your best bet seriously.. if you really want to 'handle like a racecar' is get some R comps for your OEM wheels.
naz,May 5 2004, 06:44 PM Wrote:
_JC_,May 5 2004, 06:23 PM Wrote:stickier tires with a 60 series tires is not gonna help very much. in the end i'm going to have a massive side wall on the tire that will flex under hard cornering
the tires i am taking about putting on the OEM wheels are stuff like yoko A032R, toyo RA1... you are talking that you 'wanna handle like a race car' right.. that is what you are going to need to do that

you can put any 18&quot; tire you want on that car, with all that $$ put into the suspension.. you will get decimated by someone with a stock focus who has wrapped their their OEM wheels in R comps. end of story.

R comps &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; street tire

besides.. even with relatively crap tires like kumho 712s, i break traction before the sidewalls roll over...

your best bet seriously.. if you really want to 'handle like a racecar' is get some R comps for your OEM wheels.
dude ...you should have been a tire salesman.....

btw....not so sure 712's are as crappy as some say.....I have to drive retardedly fast to break traction and still it does not reaaaaaly break ti just kinda rolls over... that could be a product of the aftermarket suspension , or both ...either way the combo works very well....especially if you pick your lines carefully....

would you not get a ton of roll off sticky tires on the 15's.....I personally would not like this situation cause when it does break loose it is gonna get kinda goofy waiting for the tire to return to position and except the change in stearing/body position....I would rather know exactly were the tire is at ...even at a minor sacrifice to performance ( comment directed towards big side walls not r- comps)

just my 2 cents ...but hey what do I know
i don't have enough tech to discuss this further..

but i was keeping my focus the first place i'd spend money is R comps for the stockers not coilovers

i guess i'm not sold on buying suspension mods because i have sometimes gotten better raw course times than people who drive a car in a faster class with suspension work and low profile tires, but i have never beat someone with R comps and stock tires in my class

maybe that's because all the guys who go the R comp and stock car route have a lot more seat time than the people in the modified car with street tires.. but that to me also says something that the people who are seriously in the game have set their cars up like this

(dad i know your car has a modified suspension and low profile street tires.. i'm not saying i'm a better driver or that i could get better course times.. i'm just sharing what i've experienced thus far... and i think you should get some R comps on your vehicle)

Quote:(dad i know your car has a modified suspension and low profile street tires.. i'm not saying i'm a better driver or that i could get better course times.. i'm just sharing what i've experienced thus far... and i think you should get some R comps on your vehicle

I did not take your comments that way ....I never do , i might be one of the few that &quot;get&quot; some of the things you say...

Quote:maybe that's because all the guys who go the R comp and stock car route have a lot more seat time than the people in the modified car with street tires

my guees is that this is an accurate statement...cause most guys cars are ...&quot;mad Tight &quot; right?

just for giggles take a closer look at the actuall aspect ratios on all out track cars...sports car series type of stuff...super wide but as a ratio not at all &quot;tall&quot;...this is (primarilly,but likely not entirely) because to much tire roll can give a confusing &quot;feel&quot; when shifting the wieght of the car around....

I too do not have as much tech on this as I should but have played enough to know some of the basics...however Naz is absolutely correct the best bang for the buck as far as the abilitie to &quot;stear&quot; the car is the tires...It is however important to note, without getting to off topic that suspension mods, if done as a uniform and well thought out package can add components to the &quot;feel&quot; of the car that have nothing to do with &quot;stearing&quot; the car. Predictability comes to mind here.

edit: ....we dont know at this juncture whether my track times would be worth a s**t at this point...it has been a while
dad,May 6 2004, 01:45 AM Wrote:edit: ....we dont know at this juncture whether my track times would be worth a s**t at this point...it has been a while
its pretty awesome that you are able to say that

most people are so quick to say.. &quot;i've got MaDD SkILLz y0&quot;

thumbs up