FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How Much Is My Car Worth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know youve all heard it before.... but this time its for real.

I plan on selling my car this summer, and Im trying to guage what I can ask for it in a private sale. Heres the specs:

2002 ZX5, 5spd, Loaded w/ leather (no moonroof) Full eibach suspension. 104,000km. I have every receipt for every oil change, and all parts that have gone onto the car. I would also leave all the european stuff on the car as I think the aesthetics would attract a lot more potential buyers. I've seen 2000 models with > 100,000km go for around 11 grand, so im considering putting it in the Trader at $11,000 firm. What do you guys think? At this price I would just be taking a small hit and I think I can attract a buyer at that price. Whadda ya say?

<a href='http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v71/symbiotix/carpics/Picture_005.jpg'>[Image: Picture_005.jpg]</a>

-P@
I got 13k for my old zx3 if it can be any reference for you. Body kit, headers, and getho exaust.

and the thing was beated up bad, but with only 78 000kms.

this was a trade in, so maybe a little higher than I could have sold it for.
id say 11000 is no problem... hell i got 9 for my broken ass zx3 at the dealership. i hate to be a vulture but if youre parting it out can i buy your headlights?
Year Make Model Series Body Style
2002 FORD FOCUS N/A 5D HATCHBACK ZX5

Based on the kilometers entered and the options selected, your vehicle's classification is appraised as: Below Average.

Depending on your vehicle's condition, the value may be appraised within the High and Low range. * less Reconditioning Costs

Low: $6,650.00 High: $8,150.00

I only used 80,000 km as well... so that should eat up your mods.

Now this is Black Book Value.....what a dealer might pay....if you can sell it for 11,000 do it.

Take it from me ;)
As for what some of you got at dealership it is all relative....

Sometimes they take it off the gross, which means they overpriced the vehicle you are buying...so you paid for it already.
Also sometimes there are hidden incentives which they show you on your trade and low and behold those are credits that should have went toward your purchase price.

Some dealers are not as nice as us. :)
I know i got lucky with the trade in. summit offered me 5. but im sure someone would jump at the oppertunity to buy a euro focus.
I would try and go a little bit higher. No harm in trying. If no go lower the price. When i was looking at the SRT4 with Yan the next day the dealor called me and said they would give me $18g for my car. Im out the 12-15 grand I put into it and my monthly payments on the SRT-4 would still be $600/month :( I got 2003 zx3 had it for a year and 1/2 and only got 15,000km on it plus a sheat load of stuff done to it. I just hate the fact you dont get anything back from the mods. Dealors donts care about that. They did tell me that if I were to go private I should be asking around $20g
Yeah whatever the dealership gives you add about 15%-20% in a private sale. Simply because when a car is traded in you get the tax saving on it. This however does not hold true if you are leasing the vehicle since you really don't own it.
Usually my first answer to that question is &quot;It's worth a lot less than you think it's worth.&quot; However, your 11,000 is reasonable definitely. The kms are def high for the year but it iappears in great shape.

Good luck.
in the event that u DO decide to part out i'd be intrested in the bumper

just incase u know :ph34r: :P
The vultures are out....... :unsure:
I dunno where you're at, but I just paid 10,995 for my 2001 SE SPI auto in late Feb. 56,900 KMs on it.

If you can get that for it, go for it. I'd be inclined to say 9,500 for it myself.

Remember, each major mod you do (engine, body, interior) makes it THAT much harder to sell to the general public later on.

It's a sweet ride, but you're going to have a much smaller demographic to pimp it to.
NOS2Go4Me,May 3 2004, 07:20 PM Wrote:I dunno where you're at, but I just paid 10,995 for my 2001 SE SPI auto in late Feb. 56,900 KMs on it.

If you can get that for it, go for it. I'd be inclined to say 9,500 for it myself.

Remember, each major mod you do (engine, body, interior) makes it THAT much harder to sell to the general public later on.

It's a sweet ride, but you're going to have a much smaller demographic to pimp it to.
Unfortunately pal....I think you got ripped bad.

I don't want to be an ass but that dealer paid no more than 7500 for that car.....a good margin on a used is 2 grand. But if you are happy that is all that matters.

Like I said before I don't want to put you down just want to help out the guys.
was their frame damage on your vehicle when it got into the accident that led to your getting a european look front end? even if there wasn't you might have a harder time selling that care because of the accident.. you are going to have to take the hit to your wallet or lie and live with yourself

if you can get 11k that's awesome.

a lot of it is going to be luck of the draw.. if you find somone who thinks the car looks great and falls in love with it, you are golden.. the general public is going to stay away from the car thinking its been beat on.. and enthusiasts will probably take the 11g and put it elsewhere.. as in an unmodified example that is selling for a couple of grand less
Well, it was a lease return, so given the flawless maintenance minus a few scratches... I figured it was worth it. *scratches head*

Oh well.
Like I said before ....if you are happy then *thumbs up*
naz,May 3 2004, 07:39 PM Wrote:was their frame damage on your vehicle when it got into the accident that led to your getting a european look front end?&nbsp; even if there wasn't you might have a harder time selling that care because of the accident.. you are going to have to take the hit to your wallet or lie and live with yourself
No frame damage. However I also wouldnt lie. The car was never seriously modded in terms of performance.... intake, header, exhaust.... Nothing that should scare away potential buyers (ps the header will be removed). I think that demographics play a huge part in my optimism as well: I live in Mississauga and theres quite a few young kids and/or parents with money to burn on their kids

While Im at it.... For any of you who have sold a car before... What should I do to make sure the car is in good shape before sale? Its going in for oil and fuel filter tomorrow. Ill be doing spark plugs next week. Painting drums (flat black), changing tranny fluid next weekend... And Ill probably pay to have the cars interior detailed (as I cant make it this weekend) What else would you guys suggest to make the car look and run its best while its up for sale? :huh:

-P@

ps. thanks for the responses, keep em coming
ps. Naz, if you knew what I wanted to buy.... You'd be optimistic for me as well ;) B)

-P@
Damn accident...wow. Is the car branded?
lordkingod,May 4 2004, 01:21 AM Wrote:While Im at it.... For any of you who have sold a car before... What should I do to make sure the car is in good shape before sale?
You know me, I change car when its dirty, so I have done nothing but butchered the ZX3 before I sold it. I sold all the valuable parts that were not a pita to remove, then, I even had a price set from the garage with 2003 16inch wheels, and delivered it to them with painted 2000 15inch rims... :lol:

when I sold it, half the parts where not even bolted on the inside, the breaks were over due bad and I had new parts... in boxes... the suspention was shoot, and I had a huge box of (were did those parts go again?) parts and bolts... :unsure:

just thought it was funny to tell, and since you had asked for it... ;)
Pages: 1 2