FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help With Suspension Parts - Abs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone.

I come from a long line of VW's. I find myself now needed to finally work on my 2005 ZX5. I have called and got some prices from 4 places in town and was shocked at the price of the suspension parts. I need front struts and rear shocks. My Focus bounces around and rattles in the front end.

Canadian Tire says they can't get front struts if my car has ABS (and it does)

What would be different with a front strut if it has ABS? Just the price?

All the other places ranged from $86 - $188 for the front and $44 - $77 for the rear.

Is there a good place you guys get your parts from?
If it is an earlier 05 you can use the SVT kit, I think they cost about $300 and come with the svt springs as well. Are you looking for OEM parts? some people around here get get Foed parts at a good price.
I guess it comes down to what you want
OEM?
performance?
Money is extremely tight these days, so I need to go with the cheapest option.

Newkirk Auto Parts just gave me the best price so far.

Front Struts for $72ea.

Rear Shocks for $20ea.

Full front Strut Assembly for $165ea

Do you know anthing about the ABS thing? Only Crappy Tire has asked me about this. But then again... it's crappy tire.
I don't think the struts have anything to do with the ABS system

I know for the rears it's just a sensor ring that goes on the drum, not sure how it works on the front
I just poked my head under the car. I don't see any ABS stuff or anything out of the ordinary on the strut.

Now, When I rock the car from side to side I hear a click sound on each side from the front. I can only assume this is what I hear when I slowly drive over speed bumps and pot holes.

Is this coming from my Strut assembly or another component?
is it more of a thud sound/feeling from the front end?

Its common in the focus for the sway bar end-links to go.

i had to do the end links on my 05 about a year ago
Hmmm...

Not really a thud sound. Defiantly a loose knocking sound. I need to get someone to rock the car sie to side while I have my head under there. What you describe could be the sound. I ma need a couple of things fixed, not just the struts.

I've changed my stab links several times... but that may be due to hard driving. lol And every time the clunk I had was due to the links.

As for the ABS, I believe there is a clip on the strut itself.

I've got the SVT kit on my car, it cost me $400 bucks. In my opinion this was the best deal to get some added handling and to do justice to my summer wheels.
Just to make sure we are on the same page here...

We are talking about the Stabilizer bar link that goes from the Strut to the sway bar correct?

What dod you replace? just the bushing or the entire link?

the entire end link

you can get them from part source

heres a pic of the stock ones beside some moog ones
[Image: MOOGAGE.jpg]
WHat is making the sound? I am happy with stock replacement to save money. I just can't handle listening to the rattle in the front.

What are the price of these replacement parts?
I think there about $20 each from partsource.
so its probably your cheapest option to try first.
Do I need any special tools?

Is a trip to Princess Auto in store?
youll need a allan key and a ratchet to get the old ones off.
to put the new ones on youll need a bar of some sort to hold the endlink from spinning when you tighten them
Cool.. not a problem.
If you need a stock suspension and aren't looking to spend a lot I have the stock SES suspension off my old Focus (2005 sedan) with about 52K on it.

If you can come out to Mississauga to pick it up I'll let you have the whole thing for say $75? If you need delivery it would have to be on a weekend.

PM me

NefCanuck
Hey, Well I have the noise solved. It is the link for sure. So for now I am just going to change the link and the rear shocks. That will keep me happy.

Thanks Everyone.
I have the same noise but I had my links changed about 60,000 km and I am hearing this badly now at 110,000km. Maybe I'll change them again as well.
castone,Mar 28 2009, 01:27 PM Wrote:the entire end link

you can get them from part source

heres a pic of the stock ones beside some moog ones
[Image: MOOGAGE.jpg]
[right][snapback]283698[/snapback][/right]

Wow those moog ones look a lot better built, and you can grease them, very cool.
good to hear it helped
Pages: 1 2