FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2002 Zx5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone...

Does the brakes usually go this early on the 2002 focus'
Ive only got 48000kms....

When do brake shoes normally have to be replaced under normal driving conditions?

What about replacing the brake shoes with monroe brakes from Crappy tire

48,000km sounds about right to me.
I replaced mine at 40k.

Jeremy
Depends Im guessing you have an automatic?. Ford pads are recomended, how much cheaper are these monroes compared to OEM pads?
I dunno about the Monroe pads... I saw the advert, and they're guaranteed to last longer than stock pads..which means they're going to be hell on the rotors.
I have the KVR pads for the focus...they work great and barely ANY dust.
I change my front pad @ around 80k km, I got the FC Mintex/roter combo. Man the Mintex pad rock. For the rear brake shoes, after almost 150k km I am still on my first set. :blink:
Depends on your driving.

Highway driving will yield about 60,000 km on the brakes. Any city driving will wear them faster.

People have mixed opinions on stock and aftermarket brakes. Ford OEM brake pad replacements have a lifetime warranty after first replacement. People debate the need for slotted/cross-drilled rotors.

It also depends if you have a car with an auto or standard tranny too :D
Thanks all.

Btw...My car is Automatic.

Do I need to get the rotors turned as well when changing the brake pads?

Do I need to replace the rear brakes at the same time? More of the squeeling at low speed braking is comes from the front.

Is changing the brakes an easy task? Im pretty mechanically enclined. Brakes are just intimidating to me.

Jaigon,Apr 6 2004, 10:17 AM Wrote:Thanks all.

Btw...My car is Automatic.

Do I need to get the rotors turned as well when changing the brake pads?

Do I need to replace the rear brakes at the same time? More of the squeeling at low speed braking is comes from the front.

Is changing the brakes an easy task? Im pretty mechanically enclined. Brakes are just intimidating to me.
Brakes are easy to do. I dont think you need to replace your rear brake shows.

How many Km on it? If its anything less than 100K, I would be really surprised that you would need to change the rears.

Now, I've heard a lot of different things here.....but I was told that if your getting new pads, you should get new rotors. So...I dunno... :huh:
I replaced front pads and rotors at about 30,000km.

When they measured thickness the pads had about 20% of life left and disc needed replacing too. At the same time the rear shoes were hardly worn at all. Testimony to how litle actually "work" rear brakes do. That was all city driving in an automatic by the way.

I work on these cars everyday, I frequently check brakes on them, heres what I know.

rear shoes rarely wear out unless something is siezed, or the rear wheel bearings let go and ruin the shoes. Another reason I have had to replace rear shoes is cracks, check the thin shoe, the one toward the rear of the vehicle, they usually start to crack over time.

stock front pads wear out quick. However, I like them because they stop well, and dont make much noise(however the rear shoes are kinda noisy)., I dont recommend aftermarket front pads, I occasionally get to replace front pads that have been done at canadian tire, midas etc, with 90% material left, because the customer is fed up with the noise, and want them replaced.

front rotors rarely get machined, these things are close or under minimum spec almost 80% of the time. generally I replace both pads and rotors, so basically out of 10 focus brake jobs, I would say I machine about 2 of those cars(and usually those cars had the pads wear out in about 20-30k kms.

and for all those people that go to midas, canadian tire etc....they will most likely tell you that you need calipers :rolleyes: alot of those places pay there employees commission on the parts they sell, so yes, they try to upsell as much as posible. i am sure someone here has come accross this??? come on, fess up ;)