FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sony Store Stupidity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay so I get home tonight and looking for ward to tonights hockey action I flick on my TV expecting to see TSN pop up.

Instead I get SFA except the "LAMP" light blinking on my TV (Sony KF50XBR800 I include the model # for a reason)

According to my manual the LAMP light means its new lamp time, now seeing as I was on the same lamp from when I bought the thing in 2003 that was fair.

According to my owners manual I need a XL-2000 lamp. So off I go to the Sony Store @ SQ1. When I get there (and I took my manual with me) I get told the lamp is an XL-2100, okay I figure model changes happen, maybe improvements so I buy the thing.

Guess what happens when I get the thing home? Not only is it the wrong size of housing, the connector doesn't fit and the bulb wattage on the XL-2100 lamp is *higher* than mine.

So I go back there and the sales drone is insistent, saying maybe I need a tech to install it (Installing the bulb ain't rocket science, slide it into position, tighten the screws with the supplied allen key, that I can do Dodgy)

So I do a little more digging on line, turns out that the Canadian Sony site doesn't even list the correct bulb as available but the US still does! and the US correctly points out that the bulb the Sony Store sold me here won't even fit my TV at all Undecided

In the morning I'm going to go back, show them the print out from the US Sony site and demand my $ back.

Then I have to order from the US site and god knows how long it'll take them to ship it to me Sad

NefCanuck
Thats bad news Nef. Hopefully they won't give you a problem. Do you think they may have something for you?
The SQ1 store? Doubt it, with the Canadian Sony website disavowing any knowledge of it altogether I'm probably stuck ordering the thing online unless I can find an "outlet" type Sony store that might have a bulb still...

NefCanuck
Shoulda bought Samsung.................
I gave up on Sony a long time ago.

There's this guy in Montreal selling what you need ...

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell...Z174990471
I haven't given up on Sony. I like pretty much everything Sony except their proprietary memory stick. I find its BS and prefer SD.

Nonetheless, IMO SOny and Samsung are pretty much the same for quality, but I've had many different sony products and none of them has failed. I still have an old Discman from the 90's that still works perfectly fine.
Update and conclusion to this Sony silliness.

Went back Saturday morning with the useless thing they sold me and the printouts to show what I actually needed and was ready to go ballistic when I see none of the clueless salespeople there.

This turns out to be a good thing as the younger gent behind the counter actually reads my documents and realizes the screw up.

But as he checks on the computer, no Sony stores in Canada stocks the damn bulb and I'm almost out of hope when he thinks to check with the authorized warranty depot in the GTA.

Success! Although at full pop ($338 taxes in) its a Sony bulb and went in like cake. TV runs like a champ again Big Grin

If I get another six years out of this Sony bulb like the first one the TV came with, I'll be happy even if I can't get another bulb again at all.

NefCacnuck
Sony FTW!
buy another spare just in case 6 years down the road it does blow agian an you cant get another one
(05-10-2010, 09:05 AM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]buy another spare just in case 6 years down the road it does blow agian an you cant get another one

Maybe in a years time, but the annoying thing is that if the bulb would be defective at the start, if I threw it in six years later I'd be out the $338 cause the warranty is only 90 days from date of purchase of the bulb Sad

NefCanuck
For the cost of 3 bulbs, you can get a 50" LCD tv.
(05-10-2010, 11:16 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]For the cost of 3 bulbs, you can get a 50" LCD tv.

Thing is though, aside from the TV being only 1080i max it does everything I want it to do right now and I paid so much for that TV at the time that I want to squeeze every dollar out of it that I can (Yes, I can be a penny pinching SOB when I want to be)

At $6500 in 2003, divided through by seven years it means that the TV cost me $928.57 per year. Add in this bulb I just bought at $338 and another seven years of viewing and then my TCO over the life of the TV is down to $488.43.

At that point after fourteen years I might have no choice but to consider a new TV but by then who knows? Maybe there's even better viewing technology out there then there is right now.

NefCanuck
a new liquid crystal panel will cost more than 3 sony dlp bulbs.

Nef did the right thing. your not cheap, your um thrifty.
(05-11-2010, 08:07 AM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]a new liquid crystal panel will cost more than 3 sony dlp bulbs.

Nef did the right thing. your not cheap, your um thrifty.

3 sony bulbs = $1014

you can get an LCD for that price -- hell you can get a 50" plasma for $850

Nef made a better point.
sony sucks, I've posted my warranty expereince with them here before. Never again.

Samsung FTW!
if the LCD goes, puppet, how much do they want to replace it? I know how much they want, I have a bill from Sony at my neighbours house, the replacement cost is more than the purchase price.
in neufs case, the repair parts are all hes got, since its disco'd. Nef made the better choice.
Sony wanted $900 + to replace the LCD screen on my out of warranty by 4 months 32" flat screen TV.

I could have walked to stereo plus and bought the same one for $649.99.

f**k SONY, enever again, and I will tell everyone my experience to ensure they know how they treat their customers. I was a die hard Sony guy before all of this too.
Really strange postscript to this one folks:

Last night as I'm driving to the Burlington Lions cruise night I get a call from a regional rep at Sony Canada.

Seems my poor scoring of the Sony store and their inventory control website for the stores got some attention and I spent a rather pleasant 15 minutes explaining why I gave them the score that I did.

As I pointed out to the gentleman it wasn't the fact the consumer side of the website was missing the item, old items gets dropped all the time, but that the Sony Canada internal website was also missing this part which caused the salesperson to sell me the incorrect item and my extra needless running around, while even the Sony US consumer site did list the part I needed correctly.

I was assured that this would be corrected and that it was a "website coding error" I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Amazing though that they did call me back at all.

NefCanuck
Like I mentioned in previous threads, I'm still rockin' 2, 30" JVC I'Art CRT's with 720p/1080i being fed into them, and they do just fine. I paid $1100-ish for my first one about 6 or more years ago, when flat panels were still $3500-$6000 for a 42-47" LDC, and I just paid $100 for my second one. They work just fine for me, and I don't have an iPod, or a PS3, or a BD player...just an upconverting DVD player, and a Rogers HD PVR.

Don't feel bad about keeping an oldschool TV around Nef!
Sometimes older technology is more robust than current technology. I have some old CRT's kicking around, may not be HD, but I do have one that's EDTV capable. EDTV, although not HD is still better than SD.