FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Burnin' out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, being older, and not seeing as well as you young'ens, I went out and bought those ultra bright lightbulbs, last year. After two months the right light burnt out. replaced it and the left one as well. last week, the left one burnt out. Although I can afford to purchase these expensive bulbs every once so often, I'd rather spend my money on wings and a beverage, or two............Angel I am presently using one standard bulb and one bright bulb, which is not very appealling to my sense of balance. Does anyone have any idea on what type of bulb is long lasting and a nicer bulb than the stock ones?
(05-08-2010, 11:50 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]So, being older, and not seeing as well as you young'ens, I went out and bought those ultra bright lightbulbs, last year. After two months the right light burnt out. replaced it and the left one as well. last week, the left one burnt out. Although I can afford to purchase these expensive bulbs every once so often, I'd rather spend my money on wings and a beverage, or two............Angel I am presently using one standard bulb and one bright bulb, which is not very appealling to my sense of balance. Does anyone have any idea on what type of bulb is long lasting and a nicer bulb than the stock ones?

I went through the same thing when the first superbright bulbs came out. I quickly switched to the PIAA brand which was a bit more expensive, but also came with a one-year warranty.

My rationale was that I knew what bulbs would cost for a year, no matter how many burnt out. I was under the impression though that the other brands also now came with a warranty - no?
GE nighthawks are great i find. The Sylvanias are crap and the biggest ripoffs.
(05-08-2010, 11:56 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-08-2010, 11:50 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]So, being older, and not seeing as well as you young'ens, I went out and bought those ultra bright lightbulbs, last year. After two months the right light burnt out. replaced it and the left one as well. last week, the left one burnt out. Although I can afford to purchase these expensive bulbs every once so often, I'd rather spend my money on wings and a beverage, or two............Angel I am presently using one standard bulb and one bright bulb, which is not very appealling to my sense of balance. Does anyone have any idea on what type of bulb is long lasting and a nicer bulb than the stock ones?

I went through the same thing when the first superbright bulbs came out. I quickly switched to the PIAA brand which was a bit more expensive, but also came with a one-year warranty.

My rationale was that I knew what bulbs would cost for a year, no matter how many burnt out. I was under the impression though that the other brands also now came with a warranty - no?

Trying not to sound too "scottish" do you recall how long the PIAA's lasted?
(05-09-2010, 12:01 AM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-08-2010, 11:56 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]

Trying not to sound too "scottish" do you recall how long the PIAA's lasted?

IIRC they lasted about 4 to 6 months or so ... I think the timing worked out well for me though because overall I think I got about 18 months of bulb usage for the price of a single bulb (2 warranty replacements) ... but then again I think they were 100 bucks for the set.
HID's are your best route, but get some projector housings. they will be a little more expensive then PIAA but not by much. PIAA is like almost 100$ a bulb and i got my HID's for 99$ from performance improvements
i agree go HID the prices have come down so much, you can get a set from 100-150 depending brand and where you buy them.....only problem i had with mine is a ballast blew and i got it replaced under warrenty
For me in stock housings I liked the standard brightness stock bulbs they always lasted the longest. As soon as I had fully enclosed projector lights however I never had a problem.
I put Sylvania Silverstars in my ST170 headlights, and they lasted a long time. For the stock light fixtures, they lasted a month tops. I've had 2 sets of Eurolite Xenon Plasma lightbulbs in my stock Escape assemblies, and they've already lasted more than a year (one pair of H11 for the lowbeam, one pair of H7 for the highbeam) . The price for 2 of them is the same as ONE GE Nighthawk or Silverstar Ultra. The Eurolites are DOT compliant, and they have a slight coating on the bulb, giving them between a 4300 and 5000 Kelvin light colour output, as apposed to the stock 3400-4000. I like the light reflection better on Ontario traffic and highway signs, and they also work great on the painted lines on the bare roads too. They did a pretty decent job, especially the highbeams in winter time when outside of the city in the eastern counties (out around Alexandira and the SDG townships). I think they work great, look a little nicer than stock, and you can get them at Crappy Tire for a good price.

Hope this helps!