FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Computer video card question GEEKERY!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay I went and bought a used EVGA GTX 260 to replace the aging 8600GTS in my system but I think I've run into a major problem.

The manual that came with the vid card says that the PCIE-16 slot must deliver either 3.3V or 0.8V.

I read my MB manual (My MB is an MSI P35 Neo) and as best as I can figure out from the crappy manual, it has a v.1.0 PCIE-16 slot but delivers 5V. Is that right? Or even possible?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

NefCanuck
a power supply has 3 different "rails", +12, +5 and +3, so yes it is possible. the slot itself won't suffice in giving the video card power, the 260 will have a 4pin molex connector to give itself power directly from the powersupply. you should check if your current power supply has enough wattage to feed it as it will be significantly more than your previous 8600.
Before I forget I think the voltage diff is when they changed from
0 to 2.0 pci-e. It is backwards compatible but if anything your cpu will be the bottleneck
FYI :

8600GTS min 350w
GTX260 min 500w
(05-19-2010, 03:25 PM)Spinal Wrote: [ -> ]a power supply has 3 different "rails", +12, +5 and +3, so yes it is possible. the slot itself won't suffice in giving the video card power, the 260 will have a 4pin molex connector to give itself power directly from the powersupply. you should check if your current power supply has enough wattage to feed it as it will be significantly more than your previous 8600.
Before I forget I think the voltage diff is when they changed from
0 to 2.0 pci-e. It is backwards compatible but if anything your cpu will be the bottleneck
FYI :

8600GTS min 350w
GTX260 min 500w

not hijack but what brand is that 8600GTS? I've got one in my desktop that i've been looking to go SLI with...
Okay so as long as the P/S can put out the 3.3V I should be good to go? The box says that it is an SLI certified PSU (It's a 550W supply with modular power connectors, I don't remember the brand name ATM, I can update this when I get home tonight) I also have a bunch of extra modular cables as well as the ones that are hooked up (I think the EVGA card requires two 6 pin connectors)

As to the brand of 8600GTS, I'll also have to check when I get home, I want to say it is a BFG model, but since I run the reference nVidia drivers, I'm not 100% sure.

NefCanuck
Nef, you should be fine plugging that vid card in.

I usually ask these kinds of questions after I plug the sh*t in and find out it doesn't work Tongue
(05-20-2010, 05:19 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]Nef, you should be fine plugging that vid card in.

I usually ask these kinds of questions after I plug the sh*t in and find out it doesn't work Tongue

Dude, I ask first because my job makes me read everything and if something is missing I have to question why Big Grin

I guess I'll tackle this after I get back from Sudbury on Friday (Giving a presentation on using Outlook 2003 to the Northern area clinics, did the East last week)

NefCanuck
Wwelp, tried it, looks like my PSU can't hack it (or I can't install the damn thing right) 2 short beeps a pause and 5 more short beeps.

I suspect it's the PSU 'cause when I threw the old card back in, the BIOS was completely reset Confused

NefCanuck
Which BIOS do you have? You can look up the codes and it will tell you what the problem is.
BTW my hometown is Sudbury!

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Does your 260 has two 6 pin connectors?
(05-22-2010, 09:06 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Wwelp, tried it, looks like my PSU can't hack it (or I can't install the damn thing right) 2 short beeps a pause and 5 more short beeps.

I suspect it's the PSU 'cause when I threw the old card back in, the BIOS was completely reset Confused

NefCanuck

as was mentioned, check the beep code for the mobo.

at first guess i'd say the mobo is too old to support the new card. without any more information though we can't help you. At least, I can't.

on 2nd guess though, if u separate with the 8600gts, let me know... vulture over.
AMI BIOS and the more I remember how the card that was in there fit in and the GTX, I think it's two issues, the PSU and the fact that I cant get the card to actually seat completely Sad

NefCanuck
(05-22-2010, 10:14 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]AMI BIOS and the more I remember how the card that was in there fit in and the GTX, I think it's two issues, the PSU and the fact that I cant get the card to actually seat completely Sad

NefCanuck

Too wide of a card I take it? I had a vid card nearly not fit in one of my builds due to caps on the mobo, they're making them wider and wider!
This may sound like a dumb question, but did you screw the card in? Because if you don't put it in there tight it could slightly break connection when your tower is in the standing position.
I had this happen to me before and it was a biatch to solve! Mine was even screwed in, but I had to put it uber tight for it to work.
Funny thing is I did screw it in, but I couldn't get the card to fully seat into the PCI Express slot like the original was (there is still a bit of the connectors visable, not so with the original card)

Is it possible that when this system was assembled they used too short standoffs?

NefCanuck
Hmm, if there's enough room for the card in the case it should seat itself. Which side doesn't seem to sit properly, towards the back of the case or front?
Also, does the card have two 6 pin power connectors?
(05-22-2010, 12:31 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Funny thing is I did screw it in, but I couldn't get the card to fully seat into the PCI Express slot like the original was (there is still a bit of the connectors visable, not so with the original card)

Is it possible that when this system was assembled they used too short standoffs?

NefCanuck

is there anything on the mobo that's blocking the card from being pushed in? card doesn't have to be locked in at the opposite side of where it gets screwed in?

does it just need to be convinced a bit more?
Could you take some pics please.

Of the Board
Of the PCI-E slot
Of the 6 pin Power connector, You plugged into the Card.
It's real easy to get the metal backing plate hung up on something on the case. In some cases, it mostly goes in, but doesn't seat well enough and causes a problem. Does the MB have any jumpers related to the slot?
I'll be tackling this again this week or next before I go to the US. I'm thinking that maybe the card is getting caught on something, but my last attempt somehow shorted out the CMOS and reset everything so I'm a little wary Undecided
Maybe you hit a CMOS reset switch?
It shoudn't reset because of something like that.
(05-25-2010, 11:10 AM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you hit a CMOS reset switch?
It shoudn't reset because of something like that.

no such switch. What there IS though is a CMOS battery. Maybe you nudged it just enuff to end the connection.
Pages: 1 2