FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need a larger ride by Christmas time...Any Suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,

I found out in the last week that I'm going to be a father for the 2nd time, and my new son or daughter arrives sometime in January 2011. My wife and I are of course very excited, as ar my parents, and my mother-in-law about being grandparents again.

When we told my parents and everybody about the baby coming, my parents suggested to me that the Escape I have right now, probably isn't going to be large enough anymore to carry us, a toddler, a baby, the dog, and all of our stuff if we are going on any kind of trip outside of town.

So, I've started trying to figure out what'd work. I DON'T want any kind of Japanese or Korean vehicles for starters, and I don't think I need something as gargantuan as a Suburban or an Excursion either. Most wagons are out too, as only a few will have seating for more than 4-5 people, which would be the same as the Escape we have now. I'm thinking that vehicles like the Ford Flex, Ford Expedition, Ford Explorer (7-pass variant), Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon or Envoy XL, and the Dodge Journey are all a good bunch to start with.

I'm not into minivans, so I think I will make the effort to look at the vehicles I already mentioned. Just wondering if there's anything else worth looking at that might work?

L8tz!
(05-20-2010, 09:40 PM)Drivesthebeast Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody,

I found out in the last week that I'm going to be a father for the 2nd time, and my new son or daughter arrives sometime in January 2011. My wife and I are of course very excited, as ar my parents, and my mother-in-law about being grandparents again.

When we told my parents and everybody about the baby coming, my parents suggested to me that the Escape I have right now, probably isn't going to be large enough anymore to carry us, a toddler, a baby, the dog, and all of our stuff if we are going on any kind of trip outside of town.

So, I've started trying to figure out what'd work. I DON'T want any kind of Japanese or Korean vehicles for starters, and I don't think I need something as gargantuan as a Suburban or an Excursion either. Most wagons are out too, as only a few will have seating for more than 4-5 people, which would be the same as the Escape we have now. I'm thinking that vehicles like the Ford Flex, Ford Expedition, Ford Explorer (7-pass variant), Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon or Envoy XL, and the Dodge Journey are all a good bunch to start with.

I'm not into minivans, so I think I will make the effort to look at the vehicles I already mentioned. Just wondering if there's anything else worth looking at that might work?

L8tz!

If Safety is a huge concern for you, then I'd highly recommend the Volvo XC90, as you can get them in either 5 or 7 passenger set up, plus there is already a built in child seat in them, for when your kids grow into a booster seat, and the rear seat fold flat into the floor. Also if your looking for a wagon the 2002-2010+ V50 & XC70's do / did come with a 7 seat configeration, and also they have some interesting features that include a pet pen and belts for dogs riding in the back of the wagons when the seats are folded flat. Not to mention both cars have crap loads of safety features and interesting options like Nav, or rear seat dvd.

If price is not really and option and you are looking for something different there is the R class from mercedes, other then the panoramic roof, and diesel option and either 6 or 7 passenger set up in them is nice, as all the seats are comfortable. Also if you are looking for Diesel the GL class is a nice option as well.

as for smaller, I'd recommend thje Mazda5 but keep in mind the rear seats when in use are very tight for adults.
Congrats on the new addition to the family! I just went through the whole 'need something bigger' also!!
congrats on the pending addition!

I love the flexes.. I do... I would get one of those...
Well, if i was in your situation i would be looking at the larger end of the scale.

The tahoe is a very nice truck, no matter what year you chose be it 2000-2010. i drive a suburban as my work truck/daily and it is sooo comfy especially for long trips.

the flex is also another one i would def. be looking at as it can get great fuel mileage with the 3.5l and the 6 speed. very nice truck. also the trail blazer is another nice truck to look at as well and IIRC they can be had at some pretty good deals.

good luck and congrats
(05-20-2010, 09:40 PM)Drivesthebeast Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody,

L8tz!

Congratulations - that's fantastic about the baby. The second one is definitely a different experience, not quite so frightening as the first LOL.

Given the vehicles you're not interested in, I'd say your list is the right one ... I wish my wife liked the look of the Flex because frankly I'd like to have one.

One thing about the Flex is it's decent towing capacity, even compared to some of the truck-based SUVs.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices on your list.
So I guess a Mazda CX-7 or CX9 are out of the equation. Probably the best Hockey dad vehicles EVER IMO.
cx7 has no room. those bubbly looking SUV's look huge, but open that gate and you realize its not big at all. Most wagons have much more room in the back. Never looked at the CX9, way out of my price range.

We are really happy with our Dodge Nitro, but I can see that being considered 'small' with 2 little ones.
Of all the vehicles you've listed, I think the Flex should be among your top candidates, roomy, decent fuel economy and if you can slip an extra $10G or so past the wife... ecoboost Smile

NefCanuck
congrats, i'll be there by next oct as well. Wife says our cars are good enough Smile
2010 Golf Hers, 2006 Jetta Mine. I'll let you know how it turns out Smile

I'm actually looking for a Highlander Limited. Power rear lift gate Smile
(05-21-2010, 10:42 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Of all the vehicles you've listed, I think the Flex should be among your top candidates, roomy, decent fuel economy and if you can slip an extra $10G or so past the wife... ecoboost Smile

NefCanuck

why is it no women likes that car? Wife hates it, her sister hates it. You guys mentioned your ladies hate them as well? i had the taurusX/freestyle while back and i loved it.
(05-21-2010, 09:14 PM)mo_focus Wrote: [ -> ]why is it no women likes that car?
My wife says it looks like it should be carrying dead bodies. She says its the second ugliest car after the aztec.

She thinks subaru's look good tho. LOL
my wife says the same! She said no way she would be driving it. Too bad, bc i really liked it. I had a SEL rental in winnpeg once.
I've got a 300$ solution.

Roof rack + locking box

And, for those even longer trips? Rental minivans.

Do the math, but look into keeping the escape. They get decent mpg don't they? Anything you go with that's bigger like a Tahoe or Trailblazer won't (or it won't be comparable last I looked into it a couple years back).

But, like I said... add up all your costs.... in the long run, like I said, might be cheaper to keep the Escape and just get a rental for the one or two times a year you may need it. Even then, you'll probably figure out a way to make the escape work with everyone in it.
Yeah, well I've been talking to the wife about what stuff is worth, which I think has shattered her dream to own a Buick Enclave AWD...they are just too damned expensive to buy new. As are some of the other vehicles we are interested in. So, she's thinking along the same lines...make the Escape work for now, and see what happens. She agrees with me though that we are going to get the most vehicle for our money if we buy a 2-3 year old vehicle that's been lease returned. So, that'd be stuff like Flex's, Tahoe's, Yukons, etc.

I drove our new staff car at work last friday...it's a 2010/2011 Dodge Journey SXT. There were some things I liked about it, but there were lots I didn't. Like, the A-pillars are huge, and block vision of things that are above the beltline of the vehicle. The beltline is high on it (though I had the seat set down low, because I hate driving upright and high off the floor), making it awkward to see out the sides of the vehicle quickly and easily. The headrests and the C-pillars also make vision out the rear awkwards too. The engine seems underpowered for the size of the vehicle (though I didn't run it very hard since it only has/had around 500 km's on it).

I think my first choice is the Flex, but in all honesty, I don't think I'd want one unless it was/is an Ecoboost...the standard 3.5L isn't powerfull enough to move that much size and weight with the kind of haste needed around the impatient drivers in Ottawa/Gatineau. If I gotta have a larger family hauler, it's gotta be fun year-round for me...hence the AWD Ecoboost enthusiasm.

I LOVE what GM has done to the interior and exterior designs of the 07+ Tahoe/Yukon vehicles...they are so much better laid out and better looking inside and out than the older generations.

I'll keep everyone posted eventually, when we decide what to do...

L8tz
buikc enclave, chevy traverse, saturn outlook are all same i think. I really liked them until i sat in one. They use common rail for 2nd and 3rd row seating and that thing is ok for the first couple of years but it will start to rattle like crazy after a while. Once i saw the commin rail, i just walked away from that lineup.

Flex and Tahoe are great cars. Drove the Flex for 4hrs in a pumpy winnipeg roads and it was smooth.