FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Talkspot From Rogers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone using the Talkspot service for their cell?
I'm curious to know how well it works, what internet provider your with? did you use the "rogers router" etc.
Any complaints, praises all that stuff.

I'm thinking of abandoning my Bell landline, keeping my Bell internet and going dryloop, and getting Rogers Blackberries.
I hate Rogers with a strong passion. They suck. Period. :lol:
Burnin21,Mar 26 2009, 12:52 AM Wrote:I hate Rogers with a strong passion. They suck. Period. :lol:
[right][snapback]283433[/snapback][/right]

lol can't be worst then what I had before

My old package through Bell
7mb data plan
2 phone lines ( 2 separate phones on 1 bill)
500min any time (weekends and evenings free)
Paying roughly $165 a month

Rogers offered me a plan I couldn't refuse

(Nix the dataplan for Data Packet forwarding where I can wire my laptop through bluertooth to the phone to get wifi/internet anywhere)
2 new phones that are UMD Wifi (Basically Talkspot thats free)
450min anytime
evenings and weekends free
they ported my numbers from bell and restricted the phones not to accept calls from them period under my request

I now pay $68 for a better plan with more expandability

so pretty much look for a UMD Wifi enabled cellphone and get a cheap package and you now have free talkspot
Although the 2 posts above have nothing to do with the original topic question, Here's my opinion on Roger's Talk spot.

Rogers Talk spot, as well as Fido UNO, is pretty convenient and usefull for the most part, if you are in an area where you are unable to properly pick up GSM and WCDMA signals, for example, a basement appartment, or a condominium building with lots of steel and concrete.

It uses your unlicenced WIFI band to obtain working cellphone service.. Now if you dont subscribe, your wifi calls are billed just as if you were on the 2G/3G network. You add the FidoUno and Rogers Talkspot options and you get UNLIMITED CALLING when your on the wifi zone, doesnt matter if your here in toronto, or in a vancouver hotel on wifi, your local calling area will still be your npa-nxx.

My handset is FidoUNO compatible, so I have used Wifi to make calls in vancouver in my hotel room, but I dont subsctibe to the fido uno monthly options cus I have unlimited minutes on my plan anyways.
Man, that's actually a step backward from what they offer with their WiFi-capable BBs! They offer free browsing over your BB when you're connected to ANY internet-capable WiFi hotspot. Personally, I think it's great because I can be anywhere inside or outside the house (within range of my Wireless Access Point) and so long as I'm synced with the WAP, I can browse for free, at speeds WAY faster than 3G.

So if you want to use your Rogers phone as a landline-equivalent (stuck at home, using TalkSpot), you're paying out the dump for it.

I pay 100/mo for two phones, My5 Canada-wide (pays for itself on just one course in Toronto), 300 mins/month each and unlim 7PM evenings / all weekend.

TalkSpot is VoIP for cellphones. That's it. Really, you're better off with Canada-wide My5 if you travel at all. That way you can callback to your 5 and receive from your 5 without extra costs to you. I think they've got a My10 now as well.
Talkspot phones are also wifi enabled, so the browsing still rides any hotspot within range.
The benefit to the Talkspot is for when I use my cell at home for calls other than my MY5 group, I don't use plan minutes. I can save them for when I'm not at home and receiving calls.

Paolo, how's the QOS with the UNO? choppy, noticeably digitized? Delay/echo?
generally any wifi phone will not let you use the wifi signal to make calls through your cellular account. this is UMA ofer wifi. UMA stands for Unlicenced Mobile Access. its a Benefitial feature where it captures the Wifi and uses it as an alternative to cellular signal, which is a benefitial for areas where cellphone service is spotty or lacking, you call out from your existing number, you use your existign handset, no complicated scripts or apps to install, and your caller sees your number, and not some crypted number they wont recognize. its not advertized or intended to surf the net for free over the wifi, so just tink instead of a GSM/WCDMA Antenna, ur using a Wifi antenna to make your calls, simple principal to understand.

Thats fine that you want to use wifi and surf the net for free on your phone, but your limited to only e-mailing your friends when your using wifi, and not everyone uses e-mail, if you want to call them, you must be in your CDMA coverage zone, so the wifi doesnt help you in your case.

i
QOS is perfect on UMA, I beta tested it before it went public.
paolo,Mar 31 2009, 12:13 AM Wrote:not everyone uses e-mail, if you want to call them, you must be in your CDMA coverage zone, so the wifi doesnt help you in your case. 
[right][snapback]283878[/snapback][/right]

What decade are you living in? I'd say the number of contacts you have (if you're under 60, nevermind 50) who have a cell phone and don't have an email address are very f***ing slim to likely none.

I get wicked signal in my basement with my W580i. I also seem to get decent EDGE in my basement with my BB Bold. 3G ain't happening unless I'm fairly close to a window, though.

This is just another blatant example of crass marketing telling you what you "need", vs. what you really need. If you "need" a cell signal and you're in an apartment, go stand near a f***ing window! Was that hard? Sheesh!
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 31 2009, 06:53 AM Wrote:
paolo,Mar 31 2009, 12:13 AM Wrote:not everyone uses e-mail, if you want to call them, you must be in your CDMA coverage zone, so the wifi doesnt help you in your case. 
[right][snapback]283878[/snapback][/right]

What decade are you living in? I'd say the number of contacts you have (if you're under 60, nevermind 50) who have a cell phone and don't have an email address are very f***ing slim to likely none.

I get wicked signal in my basement with my W580i. I also seem to get decent EDGE in my basement with my BB Bold. 3G ain't happening unless I'm fairly close to a window, though.

This is just another blatant example of crass marketing telling you what you "need", vs. what you really need. If you "need" a cell signal and you're in an apartment, go stand near a f***ing window! Was that hard? Sheesh!
[right][snapback]283883[/snapback][/right]

I'm living in the decade after the one your stuck in.

What don't you get, if you don't need it, then don't worry about it. No point in complaining about something that is useless to you, no ones putting a gun next to your head telling you to use it, chances are, someone else could really use this service. not everyone uses the wifi on their phone to e-mail, most people use a cellphoen to umm you guessed it, make calls. I simply explained its purpose in greater clarity so everyone can understand what its uses are, and some peopel actually find it an advantage. where as a regular cellphone with Wifi capabilities in a vancouver hotel, with no gsm or wcdma signal ,is onyl good for e-mailing, i can't e-mail my kitchen phone back home in toronto, so the uma phone is actually the winner here in that senario, dont stress bro, its not a competition.