FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: gutted cat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what are the effects of gutting the catalytic converter?

will it throw a code? if so, sCT can tune it out, correct?

car needs a new cat as this one is broken/clogged. trying to find cheapest bandaid solution.
i will have a Ceramic coated OBX race header forsale soon, then just get a cat welded into the flex pipe

and it will come with the o2 cheater so you won't throw a code
i dont really have enough money at the moment to go out buying parts...
Gut it is your cheapest solution then. You will throw a code but yes sct can tune it out. Your car is gonna be loud, not sure if it'll be as loud as svt with no cat but mine drives me nuts!
(05-30-2010, 12:57 AM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]Gut it is your cheapest solution then. You will throw a code but yes sct can tune it out. Your car is gonna be loud, not sure if it'll be as loud as svt with no cat but mine drives me nuts!

Lol. Uh oh then. I've already got the lunchbox deleted. That was loud enough for me.

So then what are the steps to gutting the cat? I'll try talking to a local exhaust shop and see if they'll do it cheap.

Oh and, the car won't go into any form of limp mode will it?
cat doesnt matter really, you may get a code from down stream o2 sensors tho as they are there to make sure its working right. ive been catless for 2 years, ya it has a smell, but i tossed my HFC in for a day last year and i felt the power loss thats how major it was. get rid of it, useless until emissions time. and buy an exhaust!
whats the o2 cheater that gord was talking about?

edit: i don't mind it throwing a code bar the fact that i won't know if my car is throwing any codes at any other point (hell it didn't throw a code when the engine blew). As I asked though, I'm more worried about there being a limp mode.
it wont limp with no cat
(05-30-2010, 03:00 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]it wont limp with no cat

alright well that's the most important. Now for ways to get rid of the CEL
Only thing to watch for is that if you're too loud you may attract the kind of attention from the local law that gets the car looked over and when they see no cat, you're up the creek without a car (at least) until a cat goes in there.

NefCanuck
a quick search of the net finds weld-in cats for $80 up to complete bolt-ons for $200...

you can gut your cat by ramming a screwdriver or prybar through the cat, and there are folks that buy scrap catalytic converters for up to $80-$100/ea just to get at the platinum inside.

So if you go bashing out the innards, you have no way to recover your losses... but you may be able to recover some cost if you find someone who'll buy the cat off ya.
well, as the car sits right now it runs not so good... i mean its driveable but it feels choked up.
(06-01-2010, 06:14 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Only thing to watch for is that if you're too loud you may attract the kind of attention from the local law that gets the car looked over and when they see no cat, you're up the creek without a car (at least) until a cat goes in there.

NefCanuck

how much louder should I anticipate being?

Without the cat, I've only got the first 'muffler' in my system.