FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cleaning a TV stand...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a TV stand, its from back in the old CRT Days, now its still a perfectly good TV stand, so we're using it with the new LCD TV's but one problem. We recently had one of the rooms painted, and a lot of the plaster dust got onto the TV stand, and some paint, even though it was covered up really good with plastic, its sometimes happens. Now. the TV stand is made out of some kind of wood, but its stained / painted black? its a really rough texture, how the heck do you clean this? I tried everything, dry cloth, wet towels, the fibres are getting caught in the textures of the wood. I went to a hardware store and the guy there was a f**ktard and did not know, but told me to buy a new shelf. ftw? anyways anyone got a suggestion? i will post a pic of it soon gimme a chance.
Power Washer. Fixed
(06-02-2010, 09:25 PM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]I have a TV stand, its from back in the old CRT Days, now its still a perfectly good TV stand, so we're using it with the new LCD TV's but one problem. We recently had one of the rooms painted, and a lot of the plaster dust got onto the TV stand, and some paint, even though it was covered up really good with plastic, its sometimes happens. Now. the TV stand is made out of some kind of wood, but its stained / painted black? its a really rough texture, how the heck do you clean this? I tried everything, dry cloth, wet towels, the fibres are getting caught in the textures of the wood. I went to a hardware store and the guy there was a f**ktard and did not know, but told me to buy a new shelf. ftw? anyways anyone got a suggestion? i will post a pic of it soon gimme a chance.
If it's water-based paint that's been dripped on to it, then Murphy's Oil Soap and a stiff bristle brush should do the trick without stripping or drying out the existing finish ... if it's oil based paint, use the same method, but it will be tougher to clean.
what I find works, is if you grab some gasoline... soak a rag in it, and apply to the spot(s) where the paint is applied. You'll want to do this outdoors if possible, but opening up a window should suffice...

Remember to make sure the rags don't dry out while applying the gasoline. If you have a tonne of paint on this thing, you may just want to soak it all over in gas -- and just keep applying. Do this in the bathtub, with the drain plugged so you can recycle the gasoline you're pouring over it...

once it's soaked for about 5-10 minutes, you need to warm the area to get the paint free of the wood. Ideally, you should use a heat gun, but a butane lighter will suffice in a pinch.

Apply the heat to the areas that were soaked in the gasoline... this should loosen up the remaining paint without any need to wipe or scrub!

If you're doing this indoors, this is a good time to call 911.
had the neighbour over, he commented that it looks like its made out of MDF wood, and he also stated that the mdf wood may have been coloured at the factory before it was manufacturered/pressed or what ever they do to make the mdf wood, thats why when it scratches, you can see the scratch, but the colour still there underneath.

I am contemplating on bringing this sucker to a guy who has a wood working shop, and possibly re-sanding it and putting some kind of high gloss stain on it to close up the wood grain thus leaving a finnish that can be cleaned, OR just buy a new TV stand...
(06-03-2010, 02:32 AM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]had the neighbour over, he commented that it looks like its made out of MDF wood, and he also stated that the mdf wood may have been coloured at the factory before it was manufacturered/pressed or what ever they do to make the mdf wood, thats why when it scratches, you can see the scratch, but the colour still there underneath.

I am contemplating on bringing this sucker to a guy who has a wood working shop, and possibly re-sanding it and putting some kind of high gloss stain on it to close up the wood grain thus leaving a finnish that can be cleaned, OR just buy a new TV stand...

The only way your last paragraph makes any sense is if it's real wood ... MDF isn't wood (Medium Density Fibreboard) and it isn't worth professional refinishing ... you could give it a light sand and a coat of paint yourself - but it's not worth a pro's time and expense.

Did you try cleaning it like I suggested - 5 bucks in supplies and 20 minutes and you're good to go AFAIC.
i have murphy's oil soap,. but no i did not try it, been working all day @ the office. I can try it out later like you said.
mr.clean dry eraser. its magic alright Smile plus its the cheap and worth a shot.
Burn it and start over. Job done.
(06-04-2010, 11:02 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]Burn it and start over. Job done.

Pretty sure that's what Bryan was suggesting ... although he used a lot more words than you did.
(06-04-2010, 11:29 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure that's what Bryan was suggesting ... although he used a lot more words than you did.

*sigh*....Sad
(06-04-2010, 12:32 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2010, 11:29 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure that's what Bryan was suggesting ... although he used a lot more words than you did.

*sigh*....Sad

Remember Steve, Ken is an old man. He gets confused easily. He may be listening to Pink Floyd in the back shed tonight. Big Grin
(06-04-2010, 01:20 PM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2010, 12:32 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]

*sigh*....Sad

Remember Steve, Ken is an old man. He gets confused easily. He may be listening to Pink Floyd in the back shed tonight. Big Grin

Fawk me ... alright I should have said Steve ... sounded like something Bryan would say though - and I stand by comment about the number of words. Geez ... between me and Paolo this thread is really something.
I tried to be clever, but instead got compared to Bryan -- I guess that counts as a burn :O
Who the heck is Brian? what does this have to do with anything? Anyways I have a painter over and just out of curiosity, he did verify its made out of MDF Wood, it was coloured by some kind of stain that soaked into the fibres really deep, and his advice was to remove the glass door, and sand it with 200 then 500 grit sand paper, it would take about an hour to get it fully sanded, then to put a furnature paint with an acrilic seal on it. He said lots of people are re-painting furnature lately, instead of replacing it, I can see why, but there is not a lot of people who are cornering that market which makes painters more busy lately.
Bryan = Meford
(06-05-2010, 02:42 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]Bryan = Meford

"meford" = username is not valid???

You know, at my work, someone had a job of being a programmer, and he put a O instead of a 0 in the code somewhere, and he cost the company excess millions in lost revenue.
(06-05-2010, 01:43 AM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways I have a painter over and just out of curiosity, he did verify its made out of MDF Wood, ...

If you're in that group that thinks Cheez Whiz is actually real cheese, then I guess there's no arguing with you about MDF not being wood.

Carry on.
(06-05-2010, 05:54 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2010, 01:43 AM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways I have a painter over and just out of curiosity, he did verify its made out of MDF Wood, ...

If you're in that group that thinks Cheez Whiz is actually real cheese, then I guess there's no arguing with you about MDF not being wood.

Carry on.

[Image: 211992001v2147483647_480x480_Front_Color-BlackWhite.jpg]
(06-05-2010, 05:54 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]If you're in that group that thinks Cheez Whiz is actually real cheese, then I guess there's no arguing with you about MDF not being wood.

Carry on.

Don't Do Drugs kids, otherwise you will turn into this guy Big GrinRolleyesConfusedTongueSmile