FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: An interesting read
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canada's healthcare system from the viewpoint of Jeremy Clarkson (you know, that Top Gear guy)

Link
I agree with him, I would pay more then I already do for better care.
Flame me if you must but its my opinion, you don't like oh well.
Had its funny yet truthfull points. I have never experienced the health care in Quebec, but I have had my share of long waits in ON. But on the otherhand, being Diabetic gets you to the front of the line everytime. Especially if you are have problems with your gulcose levels. Earlier this year I was having a hard time with High Blood Sugar and before I knew it I was in critical care, and I was just a walk in. I have no problems with the ON Health Care System. What screws it all up are the idiots who use it as a walk in clinic.
(06-08-2010, 09:52 AM)DD1 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with him, I would pay more then I already do for better care.
Flame me if you must but its my opinion, you don't like oh well.

I agree we should be putting more money into the HC system, but I think we should be able to find savings in other areas so that we, as individuals, don't have to pay more.

Having said that ... I must be the luckiest guy alive because after 58 years, a couple of serious car accidents, the birth of two kids, one miscarriage, and a lifelong challenge with sinus infection ... I have never had to wait extraordinarily long and I've always been able to see a doctor within hours of requesting an appointment ... through thick and thin I've never had a problem with Ontario's healthcare system.

But on the other hand don't get me started on my experience with the healthcare system in Indian Rocks Beach Florida when I threw my back out a few years ago ... that was horrendous and I had insurance.
I have to admit, I'm another who's had nothing but good experience with the healthcare system here. I've been in and out in a matter of a couple of hours a few times in the past year -- and the care downtown is even better.

granted I'm fine with paying a bit more for healthcare -- we're doing a lot of work in automating and connecting the paperwork portion using technology, and some of the advances coming into healthcare is pretty cool.
Thing is as a heavy user of the system I can see what works and what doesn't.

The biggest obstacle to efficient health care IMO is the continued reliance on paper to make things happen.

Do everything electronically and you eliminate all the steps that the paper method requires that you do over (and over) again.

NefCanuck
(06-08-2010, 01:33 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is as a heavy user of the system I can see what works and what doesn't.

The biggest obstacle to efficient health care IMO is the continued reliance on paper to make things happen.

Do everything electronically and you eliminate all the steps that the paper method requires that you do over (and over) again.

NefCanuck

Unfortunately, there's more to it than just eliminating the paperwork.

Healthcare providers rely on at least as twice as many more contractors and suppliers than your average cable company... each one with it's own systems and process.

So you need those to be able to talk to each other. Then you need to be able to get that information to the people that need it, when they need it... and to be honest, it's a bit easier to pass around a clipboard than a computer.

And then you need to do it all while satisfying the privacy, security, and confidentiality requirements.. .

But rest assured that the hospitals are working on it.

for example, some hospitals in the states allow you to book an appointment, and even check in to the hospital online.
i aswell have never had beef with our healthcare system, mainly because i have been relatively healthy my whole life and havent really had any reasons to be in and out. for things i have had to go in for, it has been sorted out same day (mainly broken bones and sickness)

with regards to the rest of my family who have had some health issues in the past, they as well have never had any issues when it came to going to hospital or see a doctor. surgerys were scheduled promptly within a reasonable time and post op visits scheduled timely.

sure everything would be better with a better budget and more money but for someone like me who doesnt use the health care system like some, it works perfect for me. heck ive had benefits for 2 years and only thing ive had to use was dental twice for a check up Big Grin