FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: All Ford Nationals @ Carlisle - report & travel log
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got home today around 5:30 or so but I've been busy with a few things.

This will be a sort of pictoral travel log.

I started out in Gananoque, ON because of a presentation I had to give. This turned out to be a good thing as the trip in was a straight run down I-81 which I started at 3pm Thursday.

My first "moment" comes at the border as the US agent seems overly suspicious of my reason for entering the US and my license plate so I get directed to "The Line" As luck would have it however, the line is long and the second border agent sees my disabled parking permit and waves me through, delay averted.

Here I have to post an op-ed comment. I was treated in the US both in NYS and PA with dignity, respect and every courtesy extended to me as I needed it in any public or private establishment I visited. It may simply be they were adhering to both the letter and the spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act but hell I'll take it Shy

My first stop on I-81 was a rather well appointed "rest stop" (no gas in most of these locations due to US Fed Law I was told)

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots120.jpg]

Along the way I needed a fill up and discovered a quirk that would dog me the rest of the trip. No gas station in the US is willing to sell you gas without you paying in advance and since I had no clue about how many gallons a fill up would be at any given time I ended up having to credit card my gas purchases (which would turn out to be a good thing for later on)

I arrived in Carlisle around 10:30pm and immediately checked into my room and went searching for food. Another quirk, after 10pm most fast food joints do drive through only most annoying Undecided

Next day found myself awake at 7AM and since I woke up so early I went and found a coin op car wash on the way to the fairgrounds (thanks to my Garmin 855 I was able to do it all hands free too Big Grin)

So I arrive on the fairgrounds and make my way to the spot designated for Fusions, take a look what they stuck us on Dodgy

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots133.jpg]

That camera angle only hints at the climb all weekend. I sure got my exercise, that's for sure Confused

Here's a shot of the car by itself with the "Fusionator" plates:

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots128.jpg]

Now I hadn't planned to spend any money at the show for car stuff but while walking Manufacturer's Alley Friday we came across Red Line Tuning offering a show special on the install of hood struts at the show and well:

Installer working on the Milan parked beside me:

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots126.jpg]

The car with the struts installed:

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots134.jpg]

Now no longer will I risk getting smacked by the car hood with that stoopid hood prop.

and then a bit of luck falls into my lap on Saturday...

Turns out the Milan beside me was going to have his tail lights redone with a fresh piece of Lamin-X but decided at the last minute to back out. However he already had made arrangements to have another Fusion owner who is a tint installer by trade, install it. So he offers me a deal to take the Lamin-X off his hands and have it installed on my car for $35USD. Of course I jumped on that Angel

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots143.jpg]

and there was even enough left over to do the side markers:

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots153.jpg]

Saturday's other highlight was the burnout competition. Who knew breathing in toxic rubber smoke could be so much fun:

[Image: CarlisleCarshowshots145.jpg]

Sunday was awards day and despite what turned out to be some vote swapping by two bone stock Fusions (who didn't even have the guts to stick around for the parade lap for the awards presentation) I placed third in my class. Here's a shot of the award presentation during the parade lap:

[Image: Carlisle2010AwardPhoto.jpg]

Lots of interesting Fords to see, shame I packed the battery charger and forgot I had otherwise I would have gotten more than I did that I've posted to my Photobucket album here:

Carlisle 2010 report & pics

I want to back next year now and embarrass those two stocker fools Big Grin

NefCanuck
Looks like it was a Blast Nef..... Way to bring home the hardware
Love the new Mod's Dan. Looks like you lucked out on buth of them. And the car, Lookin PIMP as always. Glad you had a great time and came home with some hardware. I think after reading all the threads over on FF & FJ I am going to have to make the attempt to make it down next year. Maybe we could arrange a caravan of rides, if nobody backs out like this year.

Hopefully see you this coming Monday.
Awesome luck with the mods. I love the lamin-x on the tail lights and I can only imagine how many hood struts Redline must have sold that weekend.
Thats a good deal with the struts for sure and the tint looks real good. Did you get a chance to check out the scoring card when I went to a Fun Ford Weekend a few years ago I placed behind the orange SVT wagon and the guy that beat him was a bone stock ZX2. Some times its who you know as he was local and we wern't. But I did see the score card and I lost marks becasue I didn't have the spare tire and jack along with other things sorry but this wasn't a restoration maybe they should have different score cards for different classes lol. But anyways Kudos on the win.
(06-09-2010, 01:20 AM)SVT ZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome luck with the mods. I love the lamin-x on the tail lights and I can only imagine how many hood struts Redline must have sold that weekend.

From what I know talking to the installer they did decently enough (Poor guy had to drag that wagon all over the place, our job was nearly on the completely opposite side of the show field from the last job he'd done Undecided)

Yeah the Lamin-X falling into my lap like that was completely unexpected. Now to see if the car attracts the attention of the local police Tongue

NefCanuck