FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Is it just me ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
... but does this car not represent a simply amazing performance value

3.7L 4V Ti-VCT V6
6-speed manual transmission
308 hp / 287 lb-ft
0-60 = 5.1 sec
¼ mile = 13.7 @ 102 mph
60-0 braking @ 104 ft
Lateral acceleration = 0.96 g
$22,949 CAD
(includes freight, PDI, AC tax, Ford $500 discount, Costco $1,000 coupon) and that’s before any kind of negotiation at the dealer.

http://www.youtube.com/v/5Qqzgyy3jBE&hl=en_US&fs=1&
Yes, it's a great deal but I'm still getting the GT.
when is the TT kits coming out for it? Smile
(06-11-2010, 02:54 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's a great deal but I'm still getting the GT.

Really, eh?

For sure the GT is awesome IMO ... but I have to tell you ... I would have a real hard time paying 16 grand more for the GT ... in terms of the value proposition I don't think the Mustang V6 can be beat.

Heck, it's 10,000 less than the V6 Genesis coupe ... it's 4,000 less than a V6 Camaro, 3,000 less than a V6 Challenger, 2,000 less than the 2010 Mustang V6, and there's quite a few of us that have paid that much for a non-SVT Focus.
And that is 308 BHP!
Yaa but you get a nice 5.0 on the side of the GT
(06-11-2010, 10:27 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]... I would have a real hard time paying 16 grand more for the GT ... in terms of the value proposition I don't think the Mustang V6 can be beat.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

Equip a V6 Stang with the same options that a base GT comes with and the difference is more like $8G. Ignore the fact that people on here spend up to $4G to void their warranty to turbo an extra 100HP. That's a 33% HP gain over the 6 and that's factory. The Coyote is a beast, it's just starting at 412HP. Modders are already showing gains with the 5.0L with bolt-ons (long tube headers, CAI and a tune) to 500HP naturally aspirated. That's only 75HP less than the Shelby which IS $18G more.

The 6 IS a great deal, no doubt. Just looking for something a little better, and I'm willing to pay for it.
^ good point, also...and this is IMO of course, for whoever buys a stang it should only be the GT unless its a girl or something lol.
(06-12-2010, 12:36 AM)Spinal Wrote: [ -> ]for whoever buys a stang it should only be the GT unless its a girl or something lol.

meh, people give me a hard time all the time for not getting the STi model of my car. They always crack jokes about me buying the wannabe sti, I always say to them if they can afford to give me the extra 15k, I would have bought an sti.
For the amount of money it costs to get the GT, take that and invest it into your 6 banger and I'm sure you'll have an even quicker than it already is car. That, and you'll be unique.
(06-11-2010, 11:40 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2010, 10:27 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]... I would have a real hard time paying 16 grand more for the GT ... in terms of the value proposition I don't think the Mustang V6 can be beat.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

Equip a V6 Stang with the same options that a base GT comes with and the difference is more like $8G. Ignore the fact that people on here spend up to $4G to void their warranty to turbo an extra 100HP. That's a 33% HP gain over the 6 and that's factory. The Coyote is a beast, it's just starting at 412HP. Modders are already showing gains with the 5.0L with bolt-ons (long tube headers, CAI and a tune) to 500HP naturally aspirated. That's only 75HP less than the Shelby which IS $18G more.

The 6 IS a great deal, no doubt. Just looking for something a little better, and I'm willing to pay for it.

Yeah, I know they're different vehicles ... I wasn't really comparing them and I know someone set on a GT won't even think of the V6 as being something to consider ... I was just thinking in terms of what you get for a buck with each vehicle ... and as awesome as the GT is, I think the V6 provides better value in terms of performance for the buck.

Just my .02.
(06-12-2010, 04:04 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]For the amount of money it costs to get the GT, take that and invest it into your 6 banger and I'm sure you'll have an even quicker than it already is car. That, and you'll be unique.

It's all about "starting points". I am in no way slamming the V6 Mustang whether it is the past or present model; and I would daresay that I rarely disrespect most people's car choices** -- you like what you like and the reasons you buy your car (cost/needs/insurance/etc) are yours to decide. I wouldn't say what you drive makes you more of a man; get what you need and what suits you. I get the same BS with my truck -- I've got a Ranger FX4 -- people "blah blah blah" about "getting a real truck" but I've had people eat their words when I pull them out of the shiz in winter. I don't need the size of a full-size truck for what I use it for: work in the winter, some offroading, and for some electrical side work. It's 3 years old with only 40k on it. A similarly-equipped F150 FX4 would have been an extra $15G, and I'd rather spend that on what I prefer -- a car.

As for the Mustang, the 308HP that you start with in the V6 is definitely respectable. But the cost of "investing in it" to match a GT wouldn't be worth it unless you are trying to get around insurance costs, or a higher purchase price now and you intend to mod it after the warranty expires.

For example, a leather interior comes standard with the GT. On the V6 it's a $1500 retail option. (BTW I have the pricing lists on all FMC vehicles). The Brembo brake package only available on the GT is $1700 and would cost at least $2200 aftermarket (for all 4 corners). With that you get 19" Rims, Pirelli Z-rated tires (about $2000 aftermarket) and a strut bar. The 3.73 rear end (only avaliable on the manual trans GT) is $500 but would cost you about $1200 aftermarket by the time you install and set it up. Chances of you squeezing another 100HP out of the 6 naturally aspirated is slim, so count on another $5G by the time you're done. Add suspension upgrades the GT gets ($1000) and you can see that it doesn't take long to erode the price difference.

And this also doesn't account for the loss of a 3yr/60k bumper to bumper or 5yr/100k drivetrain warranty. These things are more important to me than a little more go fast. I drive 45km each way to work, so a car that is down for repairs is a major inconvenience.

As for "uniqueness", that is a matter of opinion. IMHO if you want "unique", get a Shelby. Or a turboed Focus. There is nothing particulary unique in buying what will be a fairly common car (the V6) and dumping a lot of money into it to not be able to beat the same car with a higher trim level.

That's just my view of it, YMMV.

** Open to criticism, however, is
  1. ricing up your car with fartcan mufflers, multiple or gaudy bookshelf spoilers, "Type R" stickers (or other fake badging), and other ghey aftermarket appearance products
  2. mods that defeat safety features of a car endangering the safety of the driver, passengers or others that share the road with you
  3. asking outrageous sale prices for vehicles clearly not worth it.

And yes, Ken, I do agree with you. You might say that the GT will be my "toy" and will spend winters toasty warm in the garage. I'm not buying it for practicality, I'm buying it because I figure as someone who's worked every day for nearly 25 years for the company that I deserve it. :p
and of course in all these conversations there is the 5,000lb elephant in the room that no one talks about:

The cost to insure a V6 Stang vs. a GT, at least in Ontario

If prior history is anything to go by, grab your ankles when trying to insure a GT if you're a young (or even young-ish) driver as compared to the V6.

NefCanuck
(06-12-2010, 09:13 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]and of course in all these conversations there is the 5,000lb elephant in the room that no one talks about:

If prior history is anything to go by, grab your ankles when trying to insure a GT if you're a young (or even young-ish) driver as compared to the V6.

NefCanuck

Actually, insurance rates will surprise you. The quote my insurance gave me on a GT was exactly the same as what I pay on my Focus now ($1300/yr). That's because the Mustang is a "safer" vehicle and is less likely to be written off in an accident. Of course that also has a lot to do with my age and a clean driving record.

The V6 was only $100 less a year. And that is more based on replacement cost than anything. ($25G vs $40G)

I think you'll find that the difference between the V6 and the V8 will make less of a difference when it comes to insurance, because the damages caused in an accident are relatively the same. Also, because most young people can't afford a Mustang (GT at any rate), the accident rate would be somewhat lower than, say, a Focus. Kind of a circular argument -- kids can't afford Mustangs so the accident rate is lower for the vehicle so the prices are cheaper.

As for young people with bad records, you probably can't afford the insurance on most new cars; whether it's a Focus, a Mustang or whatever.
(06-12-2010, 12:36 AM)Spinal Wrote: [ -> ]^ good point, also...and this is IMO of course, for whoever buys a stang it should only be the GT unless its a girl or something lol.

That could be yesterday's thinking ... and to be sure there will continue to be a "female" oriented market for the V6 auto ... but I think the new car has the potential to create a new market ... the budget-conscious performance car.

When I think of what I'm putting into my 2003 Focus money wise to make it track-worthy and with hopefully 200 hp ... I'm thinking maybe I should have waited for the V6 Mustang.

Right out of the box it's got what it would take to make me grin from ear to ear and raise a few eyebrows from the BMW crowd I run with ... pump it up with an SCT tune, bigger brakes and aggressive rubber and I think it would be a tremendous track car - even if it isn't equal to the GT.
The new V6 isnt going to be like the past few sixes in the stang, looking at the after Market this is going to have a lot of mods available. Ford put the same Trannies in the 6 as the GT and that has had some of the aftermarket building Twin Turbo set ups for the six (power not yet determined). I think this is part of the future, with the new emission standards set out not only by California but China is moving forward too, the boosted 4's and V6's is where things are going. Me I'll still want a GT500, not a great value but looks damn nice. Just some thoughts.
David
(06-12-2010, 11:23 AM)NoiSeeVT Wrote: [ -> ]The new V6 isnt going to be like the past few sixes in the stang, looking at the after Market this is going to have a lot of mods available. Ford put the same Trannies in the 6 as the GT and that has had some of the aftermarket building Twin Turbo set ups for the six (power not yet determined). I think this is part of the future, with the new emission standards set out not only by California but China is moving forward too, the boosted 4's and V6's is where things are going. Me I'll still want a GT500, not a great value but looks damn nice. Just some thoughts.
David

I pondered the Shelby too, but can't get over another $20G over the GT when apart from the engine and trans all the rest is available on the GT from the factory or Ford Racing. You can FI the 5L and make more power for much less money (the same argument as the V6 vs the GT) and not pay $10G for a Carrol Shelby applique on the dash. IMO
(06-12-2010, 09:13 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]and of course in all these conversations there is the 5,000lb elephant in the room that no one talks about:

NefCanuck

The difference in insurance from my 01 ZX3 to my 05 Mustang GT was $14.00 per month. That's all. And I bought my car when it was only 18 months old (was the dealer's personal vehicle with low km's on it).
My 2006 WRX is much cheaper to insure then my 2002 Focus sedan. They told me that Focus ain't that safe in colisions. I think it has like 2 or 3 stars.
but say it wasn't a mustang. that would be a smoking deal.

when the v6 mustang is not compared to the gt its a good deal.

forget its a mustang

if i told you i could sell you a car X

3.7L V6
RWD
2 Door
6-speed
308 hp

for around 22g

and its a FORD

id buy it.

im not bashing eather car. im just saying they cant really be compared
Pages: 1 2 3