FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Edmonton to ticket loud motorbikes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
from this article...

Quote:Motorbike enthusiasts who ride bikes with noisy engines could soon face fines in Edmonton.

City councillors in the Alberta capital have passed new noise limits, which aim to crack down on ear-shattering motorbikes.

As the summer weather heats up and more bikers hit the streets with their Harleys and Hondas, any bike that idles louder than 92 decibels could result in a $250 fine for the owner.

What do our resident bike riders think?

Personally, I'm all for this... one of my biggest pet peeves are the motorbikes that go blasting up the streets in my area all summer long.

Harley's are the absolute worst.

What would you think if such a law came to your town?
100% agree with this. No excuse for these machines to have basically headers and no emissions equipment. They should be treated like cars.

I would very much welcome a law in my town.
I'm all for this, for cars too.

As of now, in Ontario, its up to the 'officer discretion' to judge whether an exhaust is too loud or not.

With this law, its written exactly how loud or not you can be.
exactly.

you always here of offroad bikes/quad/sleds getting ticked ed its abought time the dame chopper wana be no muffler guys get it as well.

up north in bancroft the sleds have it the worst. if you get pulled over and have aftermarket pipes at all. lowed or not they can ticket you.
I know that a lot of bikers do the crazy exhaust just for the sound, etc. But I know a lot of people get loud exhausts on their bikes, because it helps draw attention to them on the highway or in traffic that makes it easier for people in cars and trucks to be aware of them.

However, there ARE a lot of people that drive like knob's on Harleys and other big bikes in neighbourhoods where they are completely uncourteous. If more of them made an effort to upshift sooner, and drive in say 3rd gear in residential areas, I wouldn't mind them so much.
At night in reidential area's I always cruise in 3rd or even 4th and try to roll the stop signs in my area so I don't bother anyone. After my part time gig I get home at 3 or 4 in the am on Sat and Sun mornings, I have yet to have any complaints from my neighbours I even have a mutual driveway and I haven't worken anyone up yet. But Yes there are some dicks that ride around and make a lot of noise. on the other hand an idle read won't really tell you how loud a bike is when its on the throttle, the test should be done at 3 or 4 thousand RPM. So how loud is 92 dsb anyways?
you can get an idea of what 92DB is by clicking here

Think of a train horn from 500', or just quieter than standing right beside a lawnmower.

I've seen unsuspecting motorists nearly swerve into a ditch when a motorbike behind them stomps the throttle just to make a little noise.
Looks like 92 Isn't that high if a stock snowmobile or motorcycle hits over 100 and a damm Violin and Flute can hit 92