FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: dropping a tranny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how hard is it to drop a manny tranny?

dealership just called asking if they could. 500$ labour because im getting an eratic crank position sensor.

they ran they're own wires to check if mine were faulty and they arent. tried 2 new sensors and no fix, so they want to get a closer look.
what are the lemon laws?

too many things at too low of mileage for this to not be one...
grab a hanyes manual and read up on it is the best bet to see what you can and cant do. i plan on doing my own clutch and from what i have read its not overly difficult but rather time consuming as there is a lot that has to be removed and re installed.
i have a haynes somewhere but i cant find it atm... lol

how much would ibe able to get on a part out? lots of new parts.......
hehehe title made me laugh....

key is to never ever ever PICK UP a tranny
then you never have to worry about dropping them
(06-17-2010, 05:08 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]how hard is it to drop a manny tranny?

dealership just called asking if they could. 500$ labour because im getting an eratic crank position sensor.

they ran they're own wires to check if mine were faulty and they arent. tried 2 new sensors and no fix, so they want to get a closer look.
what are the lemon laws?

too many things at too low of mileage for this to not be one...

Just going by memory here, but IIRC the crankcase position sensor is built into the flywheel ... and IIRC you don't need to take the tranny out to get at the flywheel ...

also - if the crankcase position sensor was bad, the car wouldn't start at all, would it?
no if CPS was bad you would have no spark. you need to turn car over while testing the wiring coming from it and it should send a signal out. i didnt realize CPS was on that side in zetec, on duratec its beside crank pulley
Ah, I hate that sensor. Its different between auto and manual. I found out the hard way when I transfered the new tranny over. Had to take apart the tranny twice to replace my sensor because the car wouldnt start.

this is the difference between a auto CPS and manual CPS

[Image: DSCF2673.jpg]

This is a shot of where the PS goes:

[Image: DSCF2670.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2664.jpg]

with the flywheel on

[Image: DSCF2655.jpg]

As for an R&R on the tranny, 1st time I did it, it took me 2 days. Second time around took me about 6 hours. Take your time, the biggest PITA is the clutch cables on top of the tranny housing.
after talking with my parents, for 500$ we decided to give th dealership the go ahead to R&R.

they found metal shavings all over my flywheel...
Its done...

the car runs BEAUTIFULLY.

i drove the piss out of it up to 5grand and it took it like a champ. runs amazingly.

what they ended up finding when they dropped the tranny was metal shavings all over/around the flywheel. Dunno how they got there, but it was throwing the CPS off.

BUT,

PROBLEM SOLVED! it runs all good now Big Grin
(06-19-2010, 11:34 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Its done...

i drove the piss out of it up to 5grand and it took it like a champ. runs amazingly.

what they ended up finding when they dropped the tranny was metal shavings all over/around the flywheel. Dunno how they got there, but it was throwing the CPS off.

BUT,

Have you changed the clutch recently? Usually they recommend also machining the flywheel at the same time ... sounds like yours was machined recently and the shavings not cleaned up afterwards ... if this is the case, I'd go back to whomever did your clutch.

Edit: LOL at 5 grand driving the "piss" out of it ... that's Sunday driving for most on here. Next time we meet, if ever, remind me to tell you my Dunnville story.
(06-19-2010, 12:07 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2010, 11:34 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Its done...

BUT,

Have you changed the clutch recently? Usually they recommend also machining the flywheel at the same time ... sounds like yours was machined recently and the shavings not cleaned up afterwards ... if this is the case, I'd go back to whomever did your clutch.

Edit: LOL at 5 grand driving the "piss" out of it ... that's Sunday driving for most on here. Next time we meet, if ever, remind me to tell you my Dunnville story.

considering it had troubles staying over 3000rpm without knocking, i'd say 5000 a fair bit tougher for me to be on this engine, enough to be the 'piss' by my standards.
You will be rev'ing much higher if you throw it on the rollers tomorrow.

On a side note: You know own the most expensive Stock Focus on the board. What is your grand total in repairs?
(06-20-2010, 12:43 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]You will be rev'ing much higher if you throw it on the rollers tomorrow.

On a side note: You know own the most expensive Stock Focus on the board. What is your grand total in repairs?

4000$ +- 1-200$

and like you said, stock Sad
could have boosted it for that much Sad