FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: YAY! ECO FEE IS NO MORE! (Updated)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(See Below for Update)
Please welcome the Eco Fee, another new stealth Tax

China has their "re-education" camps
We have and pay for our own stewardship re-education campaigns.

The political psychopaths are at it again, apparently we people in Ontario seem to have to much money these days and our government's will stop at nothing to get it from you to feed their unsustainable appetite for spending.

"it's the right thing to do." - Environment Minister John Gerretsen

»http://www.thestar.com/business/article/833510--new-eco-fees-catching-consumers-by-surprise?bn=1

Stewardship Ontario, the agency overseeing the eco fees, began its $2.5 million public education campaign at the beginning of the month, which consists of posters and radio spots, as well as a group which tours public events and provides information about the program.

"We would rather spend the money to educate people than to spend the money months ahead to say, ‘Hey, there’s a new eco fee coming,’ " said spokeswoman Amanda Harper Sevonty. "Our message to consumers isn’t about the eco fees. Our message to consumers is about here are the materials and what to do with them."

==
What gets the fee:
All aerosol containers, from paint to hairspray.
Rechargeable batteries, as well as non-lead acid motive batteries.
Corrosives and irritants, such as household bleaches, drain cleaners and detergents.
Assorted toxic, flammable and reactive products.
Syringes and needles.
Pharmaceuticals for humans and pets, including prescription medicine, over-the-counter drugs and natural health products.
Fluorescent tubes and bulbs.
Fire extinguishers.
not to mention computer parts and other fun stuff like that which we've been paying the recycling tax on for the past couple years....
Because of this fee, I hear allot of "I pay that eco fee thing so I just toss my ______ into the garbage." As much as I argue with these people, I find that allot of people do this.

What I would TOTALLY support is a sort of refund model where you pay a deposit and get at least a portion of it back. I'd be more than happy to pay a $2 deposit for a oil filter, knowing i'd get it back eventually. And this would also ensure that the items did get to the correct drop off locations, either by me or someone looking to make a few bucks.
THey say they are using that fee to educate consumers on how to dispose of items which are not ment to be disposed in the trash ie: thermostats and lightbulbs that contain mercury, old batteries, old computers, automotive parts, paint, etc.. but still many people are clueless as to what to do..
Clueless and then some as I see people bringing stuff to my condo's recycling room that has no business being there.

My favourite items I saw being "recycled" were the slats from an old set of blinds.

Really? You can recycle those genius? Dodgy

NefCanuck
We have been paying this fee already. It's just come out now to make it seem more friendly for ppl pay up.
they wouldn't have to educate customers if the recycling programs really worked.

Seriously, there are so many containers and such that are technically recyclable, but that aren't allowed in our recycling bins. I used to buy certain products because I knew their containers were recyclable.. and then read the poster that toronto handed out only to find out that 3/4 of my 'recyclables' aren't.

one example are eggs in clear plastic egg cartons... the egg carton is recyclable (it's stamped right on the carton), but you're not supposed to include it with your recyclables.. and those 'recyclable' propane canisters they have now aren't accepted anywhere either.

People can't recycle effectively, and the program can't work if it's not convenient and obvious....
Stewardship Ontario does not answer to anyone. McGinty can do whatever he wants with the money that comes in as 'They' don't have to face an audit or public scrutiny. Just another slush fund. I think it's $30 on a new car these days.
Kinda like 'Let's toll more roadways to help pay for public transit'. What the hell is government doing with our gas taxes, license fees, sticker renewals, speeding fines. Sure ain't going into public transit or road infrastructure, but building new parks just before the next election and handing money over to every little self-serving group out there.

We are Canadian.
Say sorry, bend over and then say thanks.
(07-10-2010, 01:27 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]not to mention computer parts and other fun stuff like that which we've been paying the recycling tax on for the past couple years....

These are shipped to China and stripped of anything worth $ and then left on the beach with old ships that have been subjected to the same 'recyling' techniques.

[Image: 6264.jpg][Image: china%20recycling-jj-001.jpg]

[Image: china-water.jpg]

[Image: child-in-china.jpg]
the ships tend to go to India.. and china, yeah.. it's pretty horrendous how they manage 'recycling' programs. Put it all in a heap, light it on fire, and then salvage the copper from the slag.
When I was in Thunder Bay, Ontario, they use to buy waste paper from Toronto and burn fossil fuel to have it shipped up north.
They would only use as little as possible because it was cheaper for them to create new paper rolls... and drive a forklift into perfectly good paper.
Now the damaged rolls can be recycled. Waste by creating the same product twice. So that recycled paper is actually harming the environment.
They could try replanting forests clear-cutted by the logging industry, creating jobs, habitat for animals, make the air cleaner, etc... but that's not recycled
and therefore environmentally friendly.
Good ol' Thunder Bay... the problem is that nobody really cares about doing things the right way up there, especially at the mills.

on the other hand, I know the Kimberly Clark plant was pretty specific of what could go in their paper.. we couldn't even ship them computers if the computers were packed in foam -- as it would ruin the paper (i think it was toilet paper IIRC).

Of course, I've seen the genius at work in those mills too. scary stuff.
Ontarians won't have to pay controversial new eco fee, starting Tues.

The Ontario government will scrap its controversial eco fee on Tuesday in a bid to quell consumer confusion and frustration from major retailers. Government sources told The Canadian Press that Environment Minister John Gerretsen will announce that the fees retailers started charging on thousands of new products July 1st will be eliminated. A source says a waste diversion program will continue though.

680news.com