FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Unique opportunity, but should I do it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay so today I was at a local cruise-in for our monthly SVTOA-Toronto club meeting (The Canadian Tire at Dundas & the 403)

We start yakking as people roll in and at one point I mentioned off handedly that it was a shame that Ford didn't see fit to offer the new 2011 Mustang GT automatic with the Track Pack from the factory, because I would have to buy a GT and then pay double to buy the Ford parts and have them installed.

One of our members (who buys and sells cars for a living) pulls up in this bad boy: 2006 Shelby GT-H coupe

It's a US spec car and automatic (which means I could actually drive the car, with the appropriate mods)

He took me for a boot in it (the car is easy as butter for me to get in and out of) and he did multiple smoke shows, hard launches and the car took it all in and was begging for more.

The car seems solid and I have to tell you, being a fan of cars that are "unique" in their own right (look at my daily driver for proof of that) I was instantly drawn to the car.

It's number #251 of 500 total for that model year with around 80,000km on it and I can get it for what I know is a steal of a price for what it is (but definitely not cheap) cleaned up and ready to go.

Aside from the obvious questions (IE: can I afford to insure such an odd car and the financing) would you jump on a car like this? It's not as if it's overly exotic, any Ford dealer could service the thing without a hassle and the parts aren't overly expensive Confused

NefCanuck
how much they want for it? you can get a 07 GT for around $20k with a lot less miles on it.

The GT-H has some nice little add-ons, but they're mostly cosmetic, and you could probably do better modding your own GT.

And that being said, I'd still wait a bit, because once the new GTs get on the market, I foresee the prices of the old GTs coming down significantly.
what sir puppet saidCool
How do different Shelby / Mustangs depreciation? All things being equal, the name Shelby means more to me then Mustang does. As asked earlier... how much? That is the key question. Usually it's allot easier to find a good price then get a good price... even if it's something a little more rare then usual.
Those GT-H's are likely to be well-sought after cars... in the '60s, Hertz bought the gth's for 3800/ea, and they now sell for upwards of six figures IIRC.

I'm not sure how the new ones would fare, but I would expect a bit better than the factory GT500's in the long run. My only concern is that if you're not buying the GT-H to collect and baby for the next 20 years, you're probably better off with something a little lower mileage and hasn't been driven like a rental.
IIRC, the GT-Hs were actually built in Detroit, then trucked to Las Vegas to be massaged in Shelby's facility, unlike the GT500 of the same era. It's an actual Shelby, and not a Shelby by SVT.

But then again, it's also basically a 2006 Mustang GT, with the Power Pack and the Handling Pack, and some aesthetic touches.
Thing is I wouldn't be looking at this as a daily driver even in the summer (I could just imagine the hassles driving to the office, given the ricer squadrons that buzz around the area)

As to the price, I was asked not to make it public so that he doesn't have any low ballers come at him and I respect him for being straight up with me on that point, so all I can say it that he is willing to sell it at a good price for what it is (a potential future collectible) but it is definitely well north of the $20K for an '07 GT that DP quotes.

As to the mileage and potentially being abused, you have an excellent point DP and the car would get a full going over by a mechanic of my choice if I decide to pursue this deal (He had just picked up the car the other day and it needs to be cleaned up so I have a few weeks to ruminate on it) but my thought process is that if the car passes muster now I certainly wouldn't be driving it in an abusive manner myself if I purchase it (Okay maybe one or two track events a year, but car shows and storage otherwise) so it should age well (probably better than I will actually, but I digress Big Grin)

Just ran the numbers on an auto insurance website, which claims that it would add about $100/m to my total bill which isn't horrible.

NefCanuck
If you want it, and can afford it, I think you need to ask yourself the question of how badly?

Then go get it.
I'd say go for it. Live a little Dan.
Most important question I can think of is why is he selling it?
If you want to beat on it I say go for it, but you can get an '11 that will beat it in every way. If you are looking for something collectible and don't plan on driving it I say buy some land instead.
80,000km is very high for an '06 collectible. My '04 Marauder is a dd all year round and just hit 86,000km

Just my two cents, but it's your $$$$$$$$
My initial thought from you OP was that your were buying it to beat on as a track car.....

but if you're buying it as a toy/project/once in a blue moon track car then i say go for it!! the milage won't matter since i'm sure it will balance out if you're going to show/store it most of the time

Oh and be careful..... once i bought my stang i haven't driven the focus since lol they can be too much fun (and mine is just a v6 lol)
Hey Nef.. mind if I join ya? -- with ford's latest financing rates and family plan, I can get new 5.0 vert for a bit less per month than what I'm paying now...

was better off when they kept the prices higher.
(07-13-2010, 02:48 AM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]My initial thought from you OP was that your were buying it to beat on as a track car.....

but if you're buying it as a toy/project/once in a blue moon track car then i say go for it!! the milage won't matter since i'm sure it will balance out if you're going to show/store it most of the time

Oh and be careful..... once i bought my stang i haven't driven the focus since lol they can be too much fun (and mine is just a v6 lol)

Oh no, if I wanted a track car to beat up I could get away far cheaper than this and work the car up slowly.

As to driving it more than the Fusion, kinda doubt it, as much fun as a 'Stang is, I do too much driving around on weekends that would make lots of use impractical and doing a three km trip to the office and home again during the week would just be boring.

On the weekends with multiple passengers esp. I would hate to have to tell one of my friends "Sure you can come along, if you want to crawl into the back seat"

That would get me probably a good smack upside the head, because as fun as it is to sit in the passenger seat up front, eyeing those two buckets in the back, gives me serious pause that an average sized human being would enjoy it, NVM some of my friends Tongue

As for doing something like getting groceries with it? Maybe once for grins & giggles, just to pull into the disabled parking space with the car, get out and watch peoples brains explode Big Grin

NefCanuck
(07-13-2010, 01:15 AM)CanadaSVT Wrote: [ -> ]Most important question I can think of is why is he selling it?
If you want to beat on it I say go for it, but you can get an '11 that will beat it in every way. If you are looking for something collectible and don't plan on driving it I say buy some land instead.
80,000km is very high for an '06 collectible. My '04 Marauder is a dd all year round and just hit 86,000km

Just my two cents, but it's your $$$$$$$$

True an '11 would have full warranty except for the parts I'd want to add (remember autobox means no Track Pack from Ford) but it wouldn't be as odd a duck as a Shelby GT-H is (collectible or not, the car just screams "I'm weird" to me in glowing neon)

I don't know the exact story of why the seller ended up sellling the car to this person, it may have even been an auction car but I trust him not to grab an abused car. As an example he found for another club member an '04 CTS-V for $17K from Florida that was pristine mechanically and after cleaning it up was good to go. Though not without a few unexpected extras though, like the joint they found just before crossing the border into Canada or the unexploded bullet in the trunk of the car after the buyer cleaned it out Confused Big Grin

As to buying land, oceanfront property in AZ perhaps? Tongue

NefCanuck