FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: modification friendly insurance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
which insurance do you recommend for modified car?

just got off phone from rbc and they are telling me that broker will insure my car but big compnay insurance will not; td, rbc, etc..

i m not sure which broker..??
talked to belair and they said all the other mod i did to my car is fine, but removing back seat is considered changing original structure of car from the factory..
so they gave me a number for broker who can get me insured..
anyone heard of powell insurance?
Insurancehotline.com try that....they give you the price and company online
awww.f!@# $350 per month!!
they don't count my 6yrs of driving experience in california..
few of the gus i track with, insure with these guys:

http://www.ona.ca/
oh, and get the lube ready. you gonna get fuct. hard.
(07-16-2010, 03:21 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]awww.f!@# $350 per month!!

thats actually pretty good. lol
get a CAA membership and then let them find ya insurance. It's worth the $100/yr as they're saving me nearly $300/yr more than the next lowest insurer...
1 thing i can try is..
i didn't let belair know my information but what modification is acceptable..

so before august 1st, i will have to go to junk yard or wreck yard and buy back seat and back panel. put that back on, and go with belair and only tell them that rbc are cancelling my policy because of steerin wheel..
(07-16-2010, 03:36 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]1 thing i can try is..
i didn't let belair know my information but what modification is acceptable..

so before august 1st, i will have to go to junk yard or wreck yard and buy back seat and back panel. put that back on, and go with belair and only tell them that rbc are cancelling my policy because of steerin wheel..

Just be aware, as I said before, that insurance companies freely share information with each other about policy holders, and especially those they have cancelled ... so it probably doesn't matter what you tell them, they will go with RBC's info first.

My advice is this ... get back to RBC and tell them that you didn't know that what you did to the car would get you cancelled ... ask what it would take to get them to rescind the cancellation ... and then do it - you've still got a couple of months IIRC.

If the agent you're talking to can't help, then escalate up the food chain into management ... and if that doesn't help, ask if RBC has an ombudsman and talk to them ... and if that doesn't work, talk to the insurance industry ombudsman.

Your absolute best chance of coming out of this unscathed is to get RBC to take you back ... because then they will never have dumped you and that will never be on your insurance record.

In the long run this will save you thousands and maybe even tens of thousands in premiums - even if your RBC premiums go up ... the last thing you want on your insurance record is having been dumped ... it's almost like having a criminal record and a bad credit rating all in one.

My advice FWIW.
thanks for your info but..

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...n=lastpost

post #64
(07-16-2010, 12:27 PM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for your info but..

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...n=lastpost

post #64

I saw that ... but the only company name you referenced in that post was Belair ... it wasn't clear that you were talking about RBC - in any event, if they're willing to take you back than that's a real good outcome for you.
(07-16-2010, 12:31 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]I saw that ... but the only company name you referenced in that post was Belair ... it wasn't clear that you were talking about RBC - in any event, if they're willing to take you back than that's a real good outcome for you.
We all love to "personalize" our cars, but unfortunately we still have to play within rules that are set out by the law and the insurance industry. Where removing a back seat under the guise of saving weight or removing an airbag to put on a custom wheel may seem benign to you, rest assured that some insurance company out there made a payout because someone got killed or hurt because of that very modification.

If you can restore the parts to where RBC will take you back that would be the best solution, IMO the benefits of reasonable non-facility insurance outweigh the benefit of any of the mods you've made.
one of my co-workers swears by I hope I have the spelling right, but Dejardians?
asked rbc already and they won't take me back even if i put stuffs back
(07-17-2010, 06:13 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]asked rbc already and they won't take me back even if i put stuffs back

How far up the management food chain did you go ... re-read my post #7 and follow the steps there if you haven't already.

The agents on the front-line phones are programmed to say "no" ... but that doesn't mean that they are the final authority ... and as I said - even if the upper managers at RBC say no, that doesn't mean it's over.

By law each company has an ombudsman that you can appeal to ... and even if that isn't successful, there is always the Ontario Office of Insurance Ombudsman.

Don't give up without a massive effort to stay with RBC - I can't emphasize enough - you do not want being dumped mid-term on your record.

If I were you, this would be my story ... "I was in the middle of doing work on my car and the changes noted by the adjuster were temporary ... I was always intending to put the car back to the way it should be and it was just coincidental timing I was hit during the middle of the work. My car is now essentially back to stock and RBC should rescind the cancellation notice."

Edit: read this http://www.ibc.ca/en/consumer_protection/Ontario.asp
I haven't contact RBC Insurance Ombudsman.

I wrote "contact us" as they are telling me to.
I am waiting for their response.

but i have 1 question, the record about cancelled policy stays with the car vin number? or stays with my driver license number?

if it stays with my current car, i will be get rid of it anyway, so that shouldn't be the problem.
(07-17-2010, 09:42 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]but i have 1 question, the record about cancelled policy stays with the car vin number? or stays with my driver license number?

With you for sure. And maybe the VIN.
well even if they have record on me, will that be a big problem later with different car?
it is not like i was getting lots of tickets or accidents, "high risk" driver, it was only just safety thing is removed..

in other cars or current cars, if i have everything back in stock or not touch on different car, i don't think they will refuse me..?

that is what other insurance company told me, i explained everything what is happening with my current insurance, what they told me was "if your car meet all safety regulation, i don't see why not we can't insure you"

they want me to fax repair invoice from collision center and pictures of my car interior or show up at branch..
Will it affect you? Maybe, depends on how strict the company is.

The problem with having a cancellation against your name is that every insurance application asks that question, if anyone has ever cancelled you. When you answer "yes" either they'll ask for you to explain to which either "A" they can insure you at a normal rate, or "B" insure you at a higher rate or "C" not insure you at all. So that's a 1/3 chance of getting a favorable outcome.

The more trouble you cause for yourself in the onset limits to who will insure you and for what rate. While you might get in this year at a new insurance company, now you are a "NEW" customer so now you may have to wait a few more years before you get a "long time customer" discount or other perks.

That's why Dan and I are trying to convince you to try to patch it up with RBC. You always want to leave an insurance company by your own choice. In the long run it's less hassle and less money.
(07-19-2010, 05:28 AM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]Will it affect you? Maybe, depends on how strict the company is.

The problem with having a cancellation against your name is that every insurance application asks that question, if anyone has ever cancelled you. When you answer "yes" either they'll ask for you to explain to which either "A" they can insure you at a normal rate, or "B" insure you at a higher rate or "C" not insure you at all. So that's a 1/3 chance of getting a favorable outcome.

The more trouble you cause for yourself in the onset limits to who will insure you and for what rate. While you might get in this year at a new insurance company, now you are a "NEW" customer so now you may have to wait a few more years before you get a "long time customer" discount or other perks.

That's why Ken and I are trying to convince you to try to patch it up with RBC. You always want to leave an insurance company by your own choice. In the long run it's less hassle and less money.

Fixed it for ya Sparky ... and yes Leo ... the cancellation stays with your policy - which as you probably know includes info such as your name and date of birth, your driver's license number and the VIN.

So even if you change cars your name and DL will probably turn up the info and as Matt said, if you fill out the info truthfully for any future policy application, you will have to tell them about it; and if you lie and get caught, that's cause to get dumped again.

And to Sparky's point about the odds - they aren't nearly that good with the companies that give the best rates ... they always look for the best risks and being dumped by another company is considered a significant liability.
(07-20-2010, 05:06 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Fixed it for ya Sparky ...

Sorry, and thanks. Brain fart.Blush
(07-20-2010, 08:11 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, and thanks. Brain fart.Blush

I feel your pain. Here ... this should help. Ken is the old one, and Daniel is the one who wears crazy hats and enjoys plastic patio furniture in winter ... see pics below.

[Image: KenName.jpg]

[Image: DanName.jpg]
Pages: 1 2