FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Netflix - Coming to Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if anyone has used this service?

http://www.netflix.ca/ThankYou
I used to use the mail order portion when I lived in NY. For the price, it can't be beat. Haven't used the streaming deal, but I'll ask a couple of friends to see how it is. I used to use the Amazon service sometimes with my Tivo, and it was excellent. Order a couple movies, and they'd be waiting on my list when I got home from work.
I currently use Rogers Video Direct, it's run by Zip.ca, the canadian equivalent of netflix.

it's great. I even cancelled half my cable since I just get a new DVD or 3 every week to watch my favourite shows on.. commercial free.
(07-20-2010, 11:01 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]I currently use Rogers Video Direct, it's run by Zip.ca, the canadian equivalent of netflix.

it's great. I even cancelled half my cable since I just get a new DVD or 3 every week to watch my favourite shows on.. commercial free.

I've never heard of this service before, just signed up. How many vids can you really get and return in a month?
well, the single dvd deal for $9.99/mo is hard, because you can only get through one DVD a week with shipping... so maybe 4 dvds a month... which is cheaper than renting.

and of course, you pay 3 times more for 3 dvds at a time, you can get 3 times as many dvds through in a month.

which I find great for TV shows... I've gotten caught up on Titus, Chappelle Show, My Name is Earl, Better off Ted and starting Robot Chicken and Two and a Half Men..

which is way more TV than I actually watch on my current cable plan -- at half the price per month.
Have not used netflix as yet but I have heard that their collection is not yet very good. Have been using dvdlink.ca since past few months and I am really very satisfied with it. They have as many as 22000 + titles to choose from.
Yes, the collection is terrible so far.. Not worth it yet.
i have had it for January so far, and i really like it. haven't used TV since new years! there's old top gear episodes on it and enough movies to get me by for sure. so far so good for 8$ a month.

the only draw back is you better have high max DL capacity for your internet, i had to boost mine from 15gb to 125 GB because in the first week i used it all up
That's why NetFlix is going to fail in Canada IMO. With the ratcheting down of the amounts that people can download, people are left with paying for higher data packages / overage charges if they go NetFlix crazy.

I'm still on an old unlimited Bell DSL acct and without going YouTube crazy or anything like that, I have watched as my data consumed has gone up over time (Last month I think I hit 40GB between the two computers, the PS3, Wii, the iPhone, my stereo and my alarm clock, all of which consume data)

Throw NetFlix into that mix? I'd probably be looking at double that amount, for starters Dodgy

NefCanuck
well in total, im paying 8$ for netflix, 69.99$ for internet and 7$ for the modem/route rental. all included 85$ a month, no need to cable/satelite anymore, i have blazing fast internet and all the movies/top gear i can watch. i was already paying 40$ for internet as it was so really, netflix is costing me 45$ over and above what i already had.
how much is it gonna increase when UBB kicks in?
is that not something only bell has proposed?
(01-20-2011, 08:26 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]is that not something only bell has proposed?

All ISP's are implementing it, Rogers, Bell, Shaw, and others..

Quote:Canada’s ISP giants have been modifying their data plans in anticipation of Netflix coming to Canada. The go-to method to generating profit from this is to cap users’ bandwidth and then force them to pay even more money in addition to their already expensive plans as punishment for exceeding their bandwidth limit.
Continued:

1 hour of Netflix streaming in HD via Playstation 3 came in to be about 2GB. With the average movie being 2 hours long, that is 4GB per movie. Two movies a week over the course of a billing cycle will work out to 8 movies x 4GB/movie. That is 32GB, or just over half of your monthly bandwidth cap alone. If you are already over your cap, it will cost $8 to watch a single move on Netflix, beyond the $8/month you pay to use the service.

This is a FYI, that the ISP's are fighting against Netflix in a way that will hurt you where it counts, your wallet.
good thing i went with a high bandwidth for that reason alone. if they try fucking me around, tech savy offers 200GB, 5mps down, 1mps up and like 30$ a month and they cud care less what everyone else does as they will still get customers
techsavvy... eeeeeeh

I have acanac DSL, unlimited bandwith!
we pay 30$/month for the business line, bought the modem outright and have a dry loop.
im switching us over to cable. Acanac has cable at unlimited bandwith, but extremely slow upload (500k). but its 10mbps down so its pretty quick!

if you go with acanac, let me know... 10 referalls and i get free internet for life, something I'm totally down for.

as for netflix, we just got it yesterday. the selection is still pretty poor and there's not much 'new' stuff there.
^just watch TV episodes and the few newer movies there are. lots of good comedy stuff and there are some recent movies. its a broad range of movies and is gradually getting better. within a year i bet there will be everything worthwhile
I've got it, streaming thru the PS3 and also watching it upstairs in bed on the laptop when we feel like it.

Cogeco has capped their overages, so even then it's still cheaper to cancel cable TV (which we did) and just stream / DL everything (which we do). Works like a charm.