FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: We are keeping notes for Sept. 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great news for Ford making the Big Bucks. Threw that in our face last week. Yes, that was laid out to us how the company was making huge $$$ and giving out raises to salaried personell earlier this year while we sit idle with raises and gave in to concessions that was sold to our union.(I voted FU). Now this.

I want my $$$ back Ford. Robbers and crooks.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/10072...earns_ford
(07-24-2010, 08:30 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Great news for Ford making the Big Bucks. Threw that in our face last week. Yes, that was laid out to us how the company was making huge $$$ and giving out raises to salaried personell earlier this year while we sit idle with raises and gave in to concessions that was sold to our union.(I voted FU). Now this.

I want my $$$ back Ford. Robbers and crooks.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/10072...earns_ford

I must admit I'm surprised that wasn't baked into the current agreement ... some sort of profit driven escalation clause or similar.

I'll bet a hundred bucks right now that Ford is the first target next go 'round.

Robbers and crooks is a bit harsh though ... sounds like your union got out-bargained. Wouldn't be the first time.
When a man sleeps with a whore, and her feelings are hurt when he leaves without "cuddle time", do you blame the man for being a man or do you blame the whore for being a whore?

The local and national folded like origami and is still useless in its current form, and here we (well not me) are re-electing the same baglickers that rolled over in the first place (or not, depending on whether you believe in conspiracy theories or not).

All this hoo-haa about giving up stuff to "avoid two-tier wages" where in reality not only do we have two-tier wages they're represented by our own damned union. If that isn't a conflict in interest I don't know what is.

I was going to say "don't get me started" but it's too late.

And for the record I'm not saying that we should have not given up anything to get the company over the rough patches but I think we gave up too much for what little we got in return.
There was not "what if" scenario built into the agreement. Yup, willing to help, but what if the company does a quick turnaround? And they did. I talked about it at the Union meeting, to deaf ears.
And don't get me started about the U in Union is useless. Our current leadership couldn't get a good deal with a bag of s**t at a dog park. I didn't elect them and the one they want to toss is the best leader and willing to bang a few heads around. And who wrote in the agreement that the president can't come into the plant without company permission?
I'm getting my picket sign ready.
It will read...........I'm greedy. Just like the company i work for(d).
Y'know I see Ford crowing about profitability, see what they squeezed out of the union and I go "Nitro.... meet Gylcerin" the only question in my mind being how big the explosion is...

Don't feel too bad guys, OPSEU is talking tough now but when the s**t hits the fan regarding the governments requested wage freeze for two years, it'll make the Harris fight look like patty cake I fear.

NefCanuck
Sounds pretty standard for both unionized and non-unionized labour these days. I think unions may have played a part in the automotive industry's struggles, but you have to give them credit for the good too. They conceded a lot to help the company, and it would only be fair if the company shared it's good fortunes back with the union.

Too much, "screw you" attitude will only hurt things in the long run IMO.
the way i would look at it... hellz ya, i have a job that many people would be lining up for. so they show a big turn around, well that turn around and climb will slow to a halt when everyone starts asking for more money. id be happy the plants still open and you still have a job before busting some balls.
That answer is typical. But let me point out a few things. First, if Ford decided to pull the plant out of Oakville, what kind of backlash do you think would occur? Do you think the government, after helping the company for years, would stand by idly and accept their decision? Do you think Canadians would still buy their product?
And line up for my job? Not any more. That's where the new contract changed everything for new hirees. You don't get my pay(your max is 75% of mine) you don't get a pension and you get a lower base of medical coverage. Bet you didn't know that. Most don't. The max wage at our plant is now about $24/hr. How would you like to work there and have a guy doing the same job beside you getting $35?

It's not a case of being happy to have a job. It's a case of we gave and now it's your turn to give back.