FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: code reader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone got a code reader? surprise surprise my car's put out a check engine light.

also, check fuel cap light is on. tried replacing the fuel cap but no luck, any suggestions?

edit: the lights came on a couple weeks apart. i just haven't paid much attention to the fuel cap light
Where are you located? I have an Xcal2 that can read codes of other Ford cars.

NefCanuck
i live out in durham...
Gah and the one weekend I won't be out in that area...

Unfortunately I have family business that means Saturday is torched for sure but I dunno about Sunday at this point...

Let me see what happens tomorrow (Saturday) and I'll update...

NefCanuck
Its Masiv meet on Monday but I haven't posted. Oops. Maybe you can check it there Dan.
True enough, I have the code reader in the car at all times anyways....

NefCanuck
Hey Dan,

lemme know about today. Else, see you tomorrow at the meet! Thanks a bunch btw!
the fuel cap light just means there is an EVAP leak somewhere in the system and a code reader wont tell you what is leaking, only that its either a 'minor' or 'major' leak. Lift your car and have a look see around the gas tank area and EVAP canister
(07-26-2010, 12:31 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Dan,

Sorry today was a write off, but I'll be by with the code reader tomorrow night.

NefCanuck
(07-26-2010, 11:42 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2010, 12:31 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Dan,

Sorry today was a write off, but I'll be by with the code reader tomorrow night.

NefCanuck

Thanks Dan!

@sonic_mikey
I don't believe the CEL and CFC light are related
(07-26-2010, 12:42 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]@sonic_mikey

They are depending on which one came on first. If your CFC light was on first and was not dealt with it will trip a code activating the the CEL. If your CEL was on then the CFC its most likely 2 separate issues. example, my EVAP vent control solenoid came out of the EVAP/charcoal canister and tripped the CFC light, 2 days later the CEL came on while i was on the hwy.
(07-26-2010, 02:15 PM)sonic_mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2010, 12:42 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]@sonic_mikey

They are depending on which one came on first. If your CFC light was on first and was not dealt with it will trip a code activating the the CEL. If your CEL was on then the CFC its most likely 2 separate issues. example, my EVAP vent control solenoid came out of the EVAP/charcoal canister and tripped the CFC light, 2 days later the CEL came on while i was on the hwy.

if i were to estimate, the CEL came on anywhere from 3-4 weeks AFTER the CFC light did
We'll see what codes are tripped when I come by, I'll try and remember to bring the list of codes as well but today has been Confused at work Sad

NefCanuck
(07-27-2010, 05:19 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]We'll see what codes are tripped when I come by, I'll try and remember to bring the list of codes as well but today has been Confused at work Sad

NefCanuck

thanks dan! worst case is I write them down and check once I'm home