FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ignition coil pack keeps dying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a Ford Focus 2000 and my ignition coil pack keeps dying on me. Something is causing my ignition coil to die and its been replaced 3 times already! Sometimes it would hesitate(shake a little)/lag a bit before picking up power, sometimes the engine shuts off while driving and I would have to restart it. sometimes when I press on the gas peddle it wouldn't accelerate.
When it reached the stage where the engine warning light comes on after its been driven for awhile(half hour or so) the engine would totally stop and would not restart until I replace another coil. These strange behavior occurs usually when I am in drive/reverse mode.

In response to this problem I have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires and I believe the new coil is dead again cause it wouldn't start, just cranks. If anyone had this problem before or know what the cause/fix is...please help! thanks in advance!
Check the wires that plug into the coil pack

Both 2000's i've owned have had 1 or more of those wires broken and it looked to be a common issue

i hope you kept all your old coil packs... they could still be good
(07-24-2010, 12:12 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have a Ford Focus 2000 and my ignition coil pack keeps dying on me. Something is causing my ignition coil to die and its been replaced 3 times already! Sometimes it would hesitate(shake a little)/lag a bit before picking up power, sometimes the engine shuts off while driving and I would have to restart it. sometimes when I press on the gas peddle it wouldn't accelerate.
When it reached the stage where the engine warning light comes on after its been driven for awhile(half hour or so) the engine would totally stop and would not restart until I replace another coil. These strange behavior occurs usually when I am in drive/reverse mode.

In response to this problem I have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires and I believe the new coil is dead again cause it wouldn't start, just cranks. If anyone had this problem before or know what the cause/fix is...please help! thanks in advance!

Check the harness that connects to the coil pack, a common issue are the wires begin to break away from the connector over time and just by fluke every time u replace a coil u move the wires back into place and it works again
SL8RZZX3 hit post faster then me hahahaha
(07-24-2010, 12:29 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Check the wires that plug into the coil pack

Both 2000's i've owned have had 1 or more of those wires broken and it looked to be a common issue

may I ask how you check it? Just with the naked eye or with a ohm meter?

thanks
(07-24-2010, 12:33 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2010, 12:29 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Check the wires that plug into the coil pack

thanks

mine were pretty visible as the plastic around the wires was cracked/split. you might have to peel back some of the loom to check, but it was the exposed wires that were split
(07-24-2010, 12:31 PM)sonic_mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2010, 12:12 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Check the harness that connects to the coil pack, a common issue are the wires begin to break away from the connector over time and just by fluke every time u replace a coil u move the wires back into place and it works again
SL8RZZX3 hit post faster then me hahahaha

Do they sell that wire connector? Maybe I should just buy a new set wire connector if its not too painful to remove/install it.
(07-24-2010, 12:36 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2010, 12:33 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]

thanks

mine were pretty visible as the plastic around the wires was cracked/split. you might have to peel back some of the loom to check, but it was the exposed wires that were split

did you buy a new set wire/connector or used the old one? if they sell it I may just replace it.
(07-24-2010, 12:38 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Do they sell that wire connector? Maybe I should just buy a new set wire connector if its not too painful to remove/install it.

I just cut one out of a newer focus from the wreckers and soldered it and heat shrinked

and if you go to a u-pick yard... it fits in your pocket aka free Wink
3U2Z14S411TNA, i believe that is the Ford part number for the harness connector, if u dont wanna steal one Tongue
possible reason the engine is dying while driving could be alternator.

i had coil pack issues recently, and while there were a few problems with my car, the engine had shut off on me a few times on the hwy but then come back right away. all power would be cut, radio and all. apparently dealer said my alternator was overcharging which was causing everything to shut off.

engine would start up again because it was a manual though.
^^ also a valid point, the harness connector is the easiest thing to check first though
(07-24-2010, 12:41 PM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2010, 12:38 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Do they sell that wire connector? Maybe I should just buy a new set wire connector if its not too painful to remove/install it.

I just cut one out of a newer focus from the wreckers and soldered it and heat shrinked

hahaha..thanks. I will try that.
(07-24-2010, 12:47 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]possible reason the engine is dying while driving could be alternator.

i had coil pack issues recently, and while there were a few problems with my car, the engine had shut off on me a few times on the hwy but then come back right away. all power would be cut, radio and all. apparently dealer said my alternator was overcharging which was causing everything to shut off.

The thing is, my radio, lights etc all works but engine would not start up again until I change the coil.
If it's not the connector...you guys think this could be a possible fuel pump problem too?
(07-24-2010, 12:49 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]

(07-24-2010, 12:47 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]possible reason the engine is dying while driving could be alternator.

The thing is, my radio, lights etc all works but engine would not start up again until I change the coil.
If it's not the connector...you guys think this could be a possible fuel pump problem too?

Although I think you should check all the things already mentioned first ... my 03 really ran a lot better when I re-did the grounds.
(07-25-2010, 06:45 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2010, 12:49 PM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]

Although I think you should check all the things already mentioned first ... my 03 really ran a lot better when I re-did the grounds.

Where are ALL the grounds located at? I don't know where they are. And what do you mean by "re-did"? as in cleaning them, check for corotions and stuff? thx
(07-25-2010, 08:26 AM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Where are ALL the grounds located at? I don't know where they are. And what do you mean by "re-did"? as in cleaning them, check for corotions and stuff? thx

Nope ... did the "big 3" ... and in my case actually the "big 3 + 1" ... http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=31&ht=I...0(Big%203)
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modi...0(Big%203)

browse this cherry of a site for awhile, many a mod can be done for cheap

heres the link, stickied in The Basics section

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...?tid=13248