FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Is it a big job to replace a fuel pump?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Planning to replace the fuel pump for my Ford Focus 2000. Is it easy? Any special tools required?
I checked with my local Ford and they said its $400+CDN, on ebay is like $40. But is this the right fuel pump for it? thanks

Fuel Pump
the fuel pump isn't the expensive part, its the labour....you have to drop the gas tank as its inside, that's why ford quotes you so much.
i do remember seeing posts on other forums where guys cut a hole in the floor in order to get access to the ful pump.....

is this car just a DD? or are there mods and/or plans for FI? if so get the SVT pump.... more $$ but better unit
it also should be noted that alot of focus still have a warranty for the fuel pump.

ur ford dealer can tell you if you still do or not.
(07-25-2010, 02:06 AM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]it also should be noted that alot of focus still have a warranty for the fuel pump.

ur ford dealer can tell you if you still do or not.

Yeah, I called local Ford they told me it's not under warranty.

This problem I am having should be same as this person's car: Ignition Coil Link
it should be under recall, not warranty.

when i took my car to ford, they couldn't pull up my vin # showing recall but i told them about recall and they did it for me at no charge.
you have 10 years from date of manufacture... if you have a 2000, it was built in 1999 or early 2000 and your are SOL and have to buy it yourself.
ya they will argue that there is no way it will have a recall. but it dose if you argue they will check lol

so ya assuming your car is less than 10 years old and it already hasn't been replaced. your good to go.
mine is 2000 and i got this done last year
didn't know there was 10 year thing
Something is causing my coil pack to die. I checked with meter and its getting good power to the coils and I checked both coils on the coil pack but they both are bad. This is the 3rd time I replaced the coil pack. I don't know what is causing it to die.

The problem I have appears to be exactly the same as this person with a Mazda car:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/automoti...-coil.html
(07-26-2010, 07:31 AM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Something is causing my coil pack to die. I checked with meter and its getting good power to the coils and I checked both coils on the coil pack but they both are bad. This is the 3rd time I replaced the coil pack. I don't know what is causing it to die.

The problem I have appears to be exactly the same as this person with a Mazda car:

by good power do you mean proper power? there is a slight possibility that your coils have been getting overloaded, not likely but still possible. Also have you changed your spark plugs and wires? Iv seen instances in the shop i work at that extremely high resistance wires (old, internal breaks, arcing) coupled with less then stellar plugs craps out the coil/distributor. Iv manly seen this on some Hondas, but its still something to check on
(07-26-2010, 11:45 AM)sonic_mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2010, 07:31 AM)FocusJetLi Wrote: [ -> ]Something is causing my coil pack to die. I checked with meter and its getting good power to the coils and I checked both coils on the coil pack but they both are bad. This is the 3rd time I replaced the coil pack. I don't know what is causing it to die.

by good power do you mean proper power? there is a slight possibility that your coils have been getting overloaded, not likely but still possible. Also have you changed your spark plugs and wires? Iv seen instances in the shop i work at that extremely high resistance wires (old, internal breaks, arcing) coupled with less then stellar plugs craps out the coil/distributor. Iv manly seen this on some Hondas, but its still something to check on

yeah, it was getting like 12.50V and I recently change spark plugs, wires and fuel filter.
(07-26-2010, 02:38 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]mine is 2000 and i got this done last year
didn't know there was 10 year thing

10 years from date of manufacture. since u got yours done last year, your in the clear, however anyone who hasnt got theirs checked is likely SOL as a friend of mine has a 2000 sedan zetec with the fuel pump issue and it all start 1.5 years ago i told him to get it done for free, waiting to long now it completely fubared and hes SOL