FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: PS and the track - update and request for info
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So now that I've had two track weekends with the new car three things really stand out:

One: it handles and brakes wonderfully and draws a lot of attention from the BMW crowd, especially the Americans ... having said that, a larger front sway bar (still stock ZX5) and slightly lower springs would be welcome

Two: you don't need a lot of horsepower to be really fast at Mosport ... on Sunday I had a Porsche 944 driver come over to thank me for a very entertaining 10 laps while he tried to prevent me from passing after I had caught him (I eventually did) ... and only the most serious machines are faster than I am.

Also: it seems that my fears about underhood temps are unfounded ... even on Sunday (hot day) and after a 45 minute run at basically full throttle and full boost the whole time ... the water meth did it's job and the car pulled strong ... unfortunately it really revealed the deficiencies in my tune - so for sure I'm getting the software and doing it myself.

Three: the reputation for power steering issues associated with high performance driving the Focus are not overstated ... I've already had to change a pump, and I've had to create a new high pressure hose (looks purty) and relocate it away from the SVT header, and I've changed to Redline full synthetic PS fluid.

And still I can't believe how hot it gets.

So ... I'm looking for suggestions on PS cooling ... location, part numbers, ducting ... who's done it ... where and how.

Thanks guys.
Does your car have a power steering cooler?
Have you thought about picking up a "track" hood and cutting some vents in it?

Also i remember seeing guys fab up a plate to put over the SVT header to protect the PS line that runs across in front of the valve cover. I think Hardk0re had made one now that i think about it......

Those could be a couple of cheap ways to keep the heat down anyway
speed holes Wink I would ask the NASA Spec focus guys over on FJ. Over here your our go to circuit guy lol. I can only help with questions about going in a straight line.
(07-30-2010, 05:18 AM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you thought about picking up a "track" hood and cutting some vents in it?

Also i remember seeing guys fab up a plate to put over the SVT header to protect the PS line that runs across in front of the valve cover. I think Hardk0re had made one now that i think about it......

Those could be a couple of cheap ways to keep the heat down anyway

Matt ... I have the stock power steering cooler, such as it is, which is nothing more than a couple of turns of line in front of the rad ... just not enough.

Gord ... the issue isn't the temps under the hood (although I will be doing louvers eventually) ... the issue is the temps of the power steering fluid itself which in my case is caused only by the ps pump turning at high revs for an extended period of time, as I have already re-built the pressure line with stainless braided hose, and relocated it away from the header.

The only way I can cool the fluid further is with a rad type ps fluid cooler ... just not sure where to put it and which one to get.

LOL - as the so-called resident expert I guess I'll be keeping you all informed of what I end up with.
Aw man i had one of those sitting in my garage for years.... we used to install them on the Chevy/GMC trucks

it was like ours but had fins for more cooling.....

But i gave it to the guy who came to scrap my dad's parts truck
you could use an oil cooler plumb the ps through it, I still have your brack here.
Sorry, meant to get back to this sooner -- the reason I asked was because I have a spare brand new one but it's the stock one like you describe.
here you go:
http://homepage.mac.com/davlafont/ddd/
go to the first Focus Mods on the upper left corner.
The main issue is the fluid itself, it's good that you replaced it already with Redline fluid. I replaced it last year and I couldn't believe what came out. Now I change it at the start of the season. No cooler for me but I don't run R comp tires either.