FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Just popping my head in here to say hi!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got a job a couple weeks back, and well, now I'm travelling around New Brunswick and heading to PEI in about 3 weeks. Drove out here on Monday in a POS Dodge Caliber that rides like a tank. I hate it a lot. 17 hours straight and I think all of my internal organs have been re-arranged.

Currently stuck just north of a place called Tracadie, NB. Company hooked us up with a nice cottage for the next 10 days between two sites we have to work on.. Horray for a kitchen, and pocketing my per diem most of the time. Right on the Pokemouche (Pokemon?) River.

Totally beautiful over this way. Ended up having to drive to Bathurst today to get plates for the company car (long story) and stopped along the water quite a few times. Sad I didn't get the Nova Scotia or Newfoundland gig, but definately scored better than the poor bastards who are stuck on the western part of the province in the moose filled mountains.

The GPS is very very touch and go here, and some truck driver from Toronto was asking us for directions as his GPS was acting wonky as well. We ended up off roading and almost getting stuck when it sent us down an unpaved road which then turned into a single lane road loaded with deep puddles. Some of the other guys are also having the same problems.

Very French in this area, and thankfully we found some kind soul who knew enough English to point us to the liquor store.

Anthony, is your family/relatives/ancestors from out this way? I've seen a few Acadian flags flying here with your last name plastered on them.
(08-08-2010, 11:25 AM)torradan Wrote: [ -> ]Got a job a couple weeks back, and well, now I'm travelling around New Brunswick and heading to PEI in about 3 weeks. Drove out here on Monday in a POS Dodge Caliber that rides like a tank. I hate it a lot. 17 hours straight and I think all of my internal organs have been re-arranged.

Currently stuck just north of a place called Tracadie, NB. Company hooked us up with a nice cottage for the next 10 days between two sites we have to work on.. Horray for a kitchen, and pocketing my per diem most of the time. Right on the Pokemouche (Pokemon?) River.

Totally beautiful over this way. Ended up having to drive to Bathurst today to get plates for the company car (long story) and stopped along the water quite a few times. Sad I didn't get the Nova Scotia or Newfoundland gig, but definately scored better than the poor bastards who are stuck on the western part of the province in the moose filled mountains.

The GPS is very very touch and go here, and some truck driver from Toronto was asking us for directions as his GPS was acting wonky as well. We ended up off roading and almost getting stuck when it sent us down an unpaved road which then turned into a single lane road loaded with deep puddles. Some of the other guys are also having the same problems.

Very French in this area, and thankfully we found some kind soul who knew enough English to point us to the liquor store.

Anthony, is your family/relatives/ancestors from out this way? I've seen a few Acadian flags flying here with your last name plastered on them.

Hey Todd - thanks for the update ... keep us posted what you're up to and if you can, download some pics. Take care.

And oh yeah ... you're right in the heart of the place where some of the original immigrants to Louisiana came from.
Ship me some lobster to Mom/

Love always.

Me
Glad to hear you got some work Todd. I was starting to wonder where you disapeared to. Take some pic's and keep us informed on how your vacation is going. LOL.
very nice up there I heard, My mom has her summer house up by Miranichi.

All the best
here is a small batch of pictures.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/to...and%20PEI/

still have more to put up when we went through Caraquet yesterday.
Those are all lovely pictures your Mom would love. Now show us what you've really been doing and all the skirt there is to chase.
Yeah lots of skirts up here! About 3 yards of fabric per skirt. For the most part, the women up here are as wide as they are tall. If I find anything good, I'd most certainly share them with you guys.
Just remember this Todd, Low and wide still wet inside.
todd!

Yup.
My family is from out there!
A ton of us still live out there.
added more pictures.. went to Miscou Island today to see the lighthouse.

(08-09-2010, 06:19 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]Just remember this Todd, Low and wide still wet inside.

Yeah, but their one thigh is as big around as my waist, and thats terrifying.
(08-09-2010, 10:27 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]todd!

Yup.
My family is from out there!
A ton of us still live out there.

Want a flag with your name on it? hehe Also see those plastic license plates with names on them too.
(08-08-2010, 11:25 AM)torradan Wrote: [ -> ]Currently stuck just north of a place called Tracadie, NB. Company hooked us up with a nice cottage for the next 10 days between two sites we have to work on.. Horray for a kitchen, and pocketing my per diem most of the time. Right on the Pokemouche (Pokemon?) River.

That's the only way to do it bro. Un-taxed per diems FTMFW
Ahhh Bathurst. My second home as well. Got a lot of family living there. Beautiful part of the country. Too bad you weren't there in May, that's lobster season in that area (dirt cheap prices for lobster). If you ever get time, take the 134 from Bathurst to Dalhousie. Nice run along the coast.

I was supposed to go up for a holiday and wedding this weekend, but the boss decided to take a vacation this week so I'm sticking back home in NB.
(08-09-2010, 01:20 PM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhh Bathurst. My second home as well. Got a lot of family living there. Beautiful part of the country. Too bad you weren't there in May, that's lobster season in that area (dirt cheap prices for lobster). If you ever get time, take the 134 from Bathurst to Dalhousie. Nice run along the coast.

I was supposed to go up for a holiday and wedding this weekend, but the boss decided to take a vacation this week so I'm sticking back home in NB.

We'll be heading that way as we continue. Taking whatever route we can to stay along the coast. After here we have stops in Bereford, Petit-Rocher, Balmoral, Atholville, Dalhousie, and then we leave the coast for Saint-Quentin.

We saw a wedding going on while in Bathurst. The "Limo" was a lifted F-150 with green and white flowers and decorations on the hood.
If you go up through Campbellton, take the road right through Matepedia. Its a nice twisty road throught the mountains. The Gaspé region is a nice drive I heard, but never went down that way.
Campbellton is where my family lives.
Never thought of you as Acadian... Thought you were Italian.
(08-10-2010, 12:37 PM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]Never thought of you as Acadian... Thought you were Italian.

No comment... lol

(even though this post was technically a comment... lol)
Well, still alive. Did time in NB.. made it as far as Bathurst, then the company flew Michelle out here, rented us a car, and got us a hotel in PEI for Labor Day weekend. Pretty good stuff!

Then when we went back to the airport in Moncton, we had to drive to Dalhousie, only to find out that that project is on hold until who knows when... and the next morning bright and early drove to Halifax for 4 days. Took the ferry from Caribou up to Woods Island, and we're back in Charlottetown.

Now we're in Charlottetown until Tuesday, then off to Summerside. Then home for a week for Thanksgiving, and back to Summerside.

I'm very done with PEI. Explored the whole thing Labor Day weekend, and now its just plain boring. It's a very beautiful island, but its just dead after it gets dark. After that, who knows what is going on with all of the stores we had to skip. Looks like we're probably going back to Nova Scotia, or possibly Newfoundland. And doubt this will be over until December sometime the way things are going.

Have tons of pics up on facebook for those of you who are friends can take a look at.. if not, send me a message here and i'll add you and whatnot. Was working on putting more on photobucket, but its just way too slow.
Glad things are going good for you Todd. Are you looking forward to getting back to civilization and Toronto?

Nevermind, I can't read..... LOL
Pages: 1 2