FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: the worst belt squeal ever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
a few weeks ago i noticed that my serp belt (at the time) was squealing between 1000rpm-1300rpm give or take, but quiet at idle. I replaced the tensioner pully and belt (tensioner itself is all good) and it went away for about 3 or 4 days, after which it resurfaced again. so this time around i replaced the idler pully and while i was at it swapped out the crank pully and water pump pully for the lightweight CFM ones. After all this i still have a squeal which seems to have gotten worse with the light weight pullies. Iv asked some of the tech in the shop and a few have mentioned it could possibly be the timing belt tensioner starting to go, but whill i had the crank pully off i checked the timing belt and it seemed to be in good condition with proper tension. Any thought and experiences would be helpfull
did you check the water pump pulley? I had mine sound like squealing but it was just that 2 of 3 bolts fell out. oddly enough it only squealed at low rpm...
(08-14-2010, 12:49 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]did you check the water pump pulley? I had mine sound like squealing but it was just that 2 of 3 bolts fell out. oddly enough it only squealed at low rpm...

just swapped it out for the CFM aluminum one
the only thing I could think of is the alternator after that. Maybe one of those mechanics stethoscopes can help you pinpoint it out.
Maybe water pump going? Have you noticed any coolant leaks/cooling issues?
(08-14-2010, 01:11 PM)reldridge Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe water pump going? Have you noticed any coolant leaks/cooling issues?

while i had the pully off, there was a s**t load of dried coolant around the shaft, but all the techs in the shop say a water pump starting to go sounds alot like a wheel bearing before it goes and not a squeal or squeak
My brother-in-law had a 'belt squeal' in his truck with a mechanical fan. Couldn't figure it out, closed the hood and the shaft on the water pump let go, sending the fan through the hood, inner-fender, and rad. I'd be suspicious of the water pump.
I have the same problem, for my car its the ac compressor that squeals.
i think im leaning more towards it being the water pump, the squeal became worse with the light weight pulleys and seeing as the crank cant squeal......lol. Besides, with the amount of dried coolant that was on there it should have been done anyways.
ive got that happening right now. I was told, it was my vortech blowers pulley is to small, and thats causing the slip. so im suppose to upsize the blower pulley to get ride of the squeal. so ill replace the belt and the pulley together. it squeals when i punch it somewhat hard or on start up then it stops squealing. anyone know where I can get a belt thatll fit my engine. or does the stock OEM belt go around the the accessories and the the supercharger? any help is also appreciated Big Grin.
Hey can u check what kind of belt is on the car?? If it is a gatorback then the guy that bought the car couldn't fugure out how to change the belt when I sold him the car. You can tell, if the belt is ribbed and it has cross cuts going diagonally giving it a gator sort of look.

The stock belt won't fit, as the alternator,tensioner were moved around and the sc adds a few inches to the length.
(08-16-2010, 03:23 AM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]Hey can u check what kind of belt is on the car?? If it is a gatorback then the guy that bought the car couldn't fugure out how to change the belt when I sold him the car. You can tell, if the belt is ribbed and it has cross cuts going diagonally giving it a gator sort of look.

The stock belt won't fit, as the alternator,tensioner were moved around and the sc adds a few inches to the length.

so where do i get a belt and how much, can we install???
On my old 3.8 GM, I measured the distance using string so the AC compressor could be bypassed. Napa took the measurement and gave me the belt based on length.
kevin, where can I get a belt then. where did you get the belt from. im not going to bypass the AC compressor. so where can i get a belt buddy. To install should i put the car up at the dealership and do it from underneith. Ive got to pull the blower out anyway. I have to switch to the bigger pulley and the vortech is leaking a bit of oil so that got to get fixed. the belt slip is becoming more loud so it has to get done asap. while its out ill just get a new belt. how long does it usaully take to remove the blower and change the belt out? i dunno if just switching pulleys will stop the squel. and if its just a line that leaking, and not the actaul blower... a little help buddy. You still swinging by the dealership to switch wheels to, on monday or tuesday?
so other the thread hijacking lol, i turned on the AC and low and behold the squeak became constant. Now, i dont know for sure if its the compressor or just the fact that turning on the ac heavily loads the belt applying more pressure to the affected part. Any info would be helpful b4 i pull my water pump tomorrow
I've searched my emails and posts on fj and can't seem to find the belt size. Your best bent is to see if you can read the # off the belt, measure with a string or give vic a call at focussport. The blower is real fun to get off, its the oil drain thats a pain to get off because of the limited clearance you've got to get your hands down in there. I'm sure the oil leak is just the oil feed line which should just need to crush washers.

I should be down for monday/tuesday for wheel swappage. I'll just have my wheels in the trunk, drive down on my winter wheels.
(08-16-2010, 11:58 AM)sonic_mikey Wrote: [ -> ]so other the thread hijacking lol, i turned on the AC and low and behold the squeak became constant. Now, i dont know for sure if its the compressor or just the fact that turning on the ac heavily loads the belt applying more pressure to the affected part. Any info would be helpful b4 i pull my water pump tomorrow

more than one convo in a thread, but yeah sorry for the thread jack Tongue

I say get a mechanics scope and just get under there and listen to each one, you should be able to hear the faulty part. I think thats the easiest (and cheapest) way to tell, without replacing the wrong part.
ok thanks man. sorry to the other guy about intruding the thread...my bad. got carried away there. ill phone focus sport i guess then, and talk to this vic and just ask. im sure he'll know. i think its a line as well, so ill have to just fix it up. ill take the intake tube off and screw around a bit. can i switch pulleys and change the belt without removing the blower? that would be way easier i think no? ill try switching pulleys and see if the squel is still there, and if its gone...terrific, if not then new belt. i looked at the belt, it just looks OEM to me. ill show ya when you stop by. just gimme a shout when your coming so i know to get the car in and remove the wheels. thanks buddy
well, i brought my car to work today so i could figure this damn squeal out. While it was up on the hoist and running i took the stethoscope to A/C compressor, water pump and PS pump, nothing not even the squeal. So i turned the A/C on and still silent and mind boggling lol. Finally i hear the faintest sound and its coming from the fcuking cat converter heat sheild. Out of all the threads iv read on this issue on all the other sites, there has been only one other time its been a heat shield causing a belt slipping noise. So i removed the lower half of the shield and used 2 hose clamps to hold the other half that sits under the oil pan tight to the cat and problem solved.......silents (sorta hahah)
thats messed up!

glad you found it
(08-17-2010, 08:37 AM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]thats messed up!

glad you found it

I know, i WTF'ed so hard when i held the heat shield and it went quiet. Even the techs looked at me weird but seeing as im the 'focus/ford guy' in the shop they took my word for it lol
Pages: 1 2