FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: ATA-6 harddrive needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Iv got an old Dell Inspiron 6000 that needs a new hard drive but i dont feel like paying full price for a new one lol. Despite its age, its a pretty fast laptop considering it only has a half gig of DDR2 ram and a 1.6ghz centrino M processor. Im running Ubuntu off a live CD with nearly zero wait time.

The hard drive cant be SATA, it can be PATA, ATA, IDE or any other manufacturer lingo that all means the same thing.

Iv also managed to lose the ram cover and all the screws that hold the damn thing together (took it apart over 2 years ago) so if anyone knows the sizes or has the screws that would be wicked
(08-27-2010, 01:56 PM)sonic_mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Iv got an old Dell Inspiron 6000 that needs a new hard drive but i dont feel like paying full price for a new one lol. Despite its age, its a pretty fast laptop considering it only has a half gig of DDR2 ram and a 1.6ghz centrino M processor. Im running Ubuntu off a live CD with nearly zero wait time.

The hard drive cant be SATA, it can be PATA, ATA, IDE or any other manufacturer lingo that all means the same thing.

Iv also managed to lose the ram cover and all the screws that hold the damn thing together (took it apart over 2 years ago) so if anyone knows the sizes or has the screws that would be wicked

Think they came with a 40 or 60 GB Ultra ATA 4200rpm hard drives. Should be able to find a replacement for about $60.00.

Refer to:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/sy.../index.htm

Lots of good information there.

Ubuntu has quite the name out there, but consider looking into other Linux versions to. I have a physical harddrive switch (Indus Technologies) and can switch my computer to Sabayon Linux which is on another harddrive. I like this because I can mess around completely and not disturb my main drive.
Im going to avoid dell as mush as possible for replacement parts lol this is the laptops second hard drive and they sent me a Hitachi travelstar 80gb 7200 rpm replacment which was awesome, but now nearly impossible to find. Dell now seems to have gone down hill. I was looking at some HD on Newegg but id rather buy a used one.
Ubuntu pretty good, but im looking at dual booting linuxmint and XP. Mint has a nice interface and is pretty user friendly
Have you checked NCIX? Sometimes they clear out old stock and don't publicize it.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=3...re=Samsung - $65 after their instant rebate (ends September 8th) and you get 160GB of space, which if memory serves is about top-end for PATA notebook drives.

If you expect to get a bit out of the laptop yet, I'd go for one of these.
(08-28-2010, 10:33 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked NCIX? Sometimes they clear out old stock and don't publicize it.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=3...re=Samsung - $65 after their instant rebate (ends September 8th) and you get 160GB of space, which if memory serves is about top-end for PATA notebook drives.

If you expect to get a bit out of the laptop yet, I'd go for one of these.

+1 for the link, now i know the size of screw for the base i need