FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sunoco / Petro / Husky - Whats going on with them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed some sunoco have changed to Petro and some Petro have changed to Husky gas stations, whats the dilly-o on this one?

I am used to using my Petro gas card at the local petro by my house but as of last week its being converted to a Husky. Once its done, will they still accept my Petro Speed pass? or will I have to go to an actual Petro that was once a sunoco station to use it?

So many things happening in the Oil industry not enough time to follow it all.
I think, Suncor(owner sunoco) bought out PetroCanada. But I guess to canadians Petro Canada is a better known name. The company is turning all its Sunoco Stations to Petro-Canada branding. From what it looks like or sounds like Husky Energy has bought out the Petro Stations.
some of the sunoco station are petro, some are husky now. a lot of the older petro station are being turned into husky. petro's that were once sunoco will now have 94, however the husky that was a sunoco will not. its very confusing trying to find 94 now as everything is under construction in my area and the only sunoco near by got turned to a husky
Ya this is a big pain in the but. I think I have two Sunocos left in burlington where there used to be almost one on every other corner. I've began to fill up at petro now that they are more common and I need 94 Smile
yea you guys got it right...suncor who owns sunoco and petro along with husky did buy all the shares in petro-canada and are now merging to one solid company (at least within refineries) and i'm assuming their trying to solidify certain areas with certain gas stations. But what i've been told from many people along with work (chemical refineries such as petro and such) is that all new petro stations will now also offer 94. As for some of the older ones, you might get lucky and get 94 but don't hold your breath
what sucks is that Sunoco was the only one that had Gold Diesel, now with the switch over they are getting rid of all that!

Most places that i have seen switch to Petro Canada from Sunoco, if there is a PC then i guess they do Husky. I still have two stations by my house that has Sunoco, but with most places i think their time is running out as well Sad
im surprised at the amount off people who run ultra 94, which contains ethonal. I used to run it religiously in my SVT untill i switched to the winning team (shell lol). I noticed after awhile of running 94 my car would hesitate and had the crap-tacular idle, switchin to shell 91 pretty muched cured it of all that hahahaha. plus airmiles FTMFW
I too have seen some new Petro Canada's offer Ultra 94, which is great. There is some concern though about it, some people are saying that some petro ultra 94 is not the same as what the former sunoco was offering ie: its refined differently.

I'm gonna check to see whether the new Husky station by me accepts Petro Superpass, otherwise I'll call them up and see if they have some new card in the works that is accepted at all 3 stations.
Even if I wasn't running a 91 tune I would probably run 91 octane at Shell for the fact that their 91 doesn't have any ethanol in it. Ford basically says in the owners manual in my car "You can run the ethanol, but don't come crying to us when your rubber parts dissolve" (Now that was true of the '08 engine design, the new Fusion motors are all flex fuel safe)

NefCanuck
paolo, the same refining process is being done for both 94's...petro canada hasn't upgraded any of their systems to refine it as of yet, so the petro can's that you see are now petro can trucks getting their 94 supply from sunoco's refining process plants..
Sunoco wanted to merge with Petro Canada, but our idiot government told them in order to do so, they must sell 104 locations..and Sunoco said sure! Thats when Husky came along and purchased 98 of the 104 locations and thats why you see them changing to Huskies everywhere....they also said the select few Sunoco stations that were being transferred to a Petro ratehr than Husky will indeed keep the Ultra 94 but the other Petros will not (who is going to pay the fees to dig up every station to add in more tanks to hold 94?) ...basically they said we are S.O.L. if we run 94 unless you have a local station but if you need gas somewhere elsewhere goodluck finding it, thats why im re-tuning my SVT for 91
I came across an intersection in my neighbourhood with 2 petro canada's across the street from each other. One which was formerly sunoco serves the ultra 94, and the other one was always a petro does not. I find it weird that they would allow 2 across the street from one enother like that? maybe they should have done better planning to find these senarios and sold them to husky if such would happen, but no you can clearly tell that did not happen, where they need one they dont have it, where they have one in a less populated area, they have 2. go figure, way to go oil companies.
all I've put in my car turbo cars in sunoco 94, never had issues with the stuff.