FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Garage Floor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So 2 years ago I did that two part epoxy on my garage floor, daily use along with a lawnmower that caught on fire has pretty much killed the floor.

Anybody on here use their garage for more than just parking in, and have something that works?

I was thinking about that G-Floor stuff that costco sells, expensive and all but if it stands up to my abuse i'd be willing to go that route.

On a side note i'm in the process of making some cabinets. I got tired of shelves that I could see crap on so rather than become more tidy I'm just going to hide it. Having never built anything that had to be truly square they turned out pretty good.

In progress pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ktrommeshauser...126064253136210

That is truly Hardk0re, Kev. Wanna come and do my Kitchen cabinet doors in the same stuff? Great work man! :bowdown:
Looks great but boy if I stumbled and hit any of those panels I'd ping off of them like a pinball :lol: :ph34r:

NefCanuck
How about rubber?
I know there are some pretty good "click-together" floors out there.

I could ask my brother at Home Hardware which product is toughest and best.
So the epoxy stuff is crap? hmmm...change of plans for me. ill be keeping an eye on this thread.
This thread is relevant to my interests. *thumbsup*

Pics of the trashed floor later? What about strips of that non-slip, tacked-down rubber flooring? Not the whole floor - just some high-traffic areas?
With rubber floor wouldn't a jack or axle stands sink into the floor and be difficly to remove the indents? What about a spray on duraliner? Like they spray on a truck bed. That would be grippy, chemical resistant and in just about any colour you wanted.
maybe line X the floor. i seen a program were they coted a cinder block with it and dropped it a few stories and it didnt crack off
Focus man, Focus.,Mar 17 2009, 02:28 PM Wrote:With rubber floor wouldn't a jack or axle stands sink into the floor and be difficly to remove the indents?  What about a spray on duraliner?  Like they spray on a truck bed.  That would be grippy, chemical resistant and in just about any colour you wanted.
[right][snapback]282875[/snapback][/right]

My father has these rubber matts...looks like his garage is sponsored by fisher price...anyways...

You're right, the rubber is great to lay on and be comfortable, but I put a bunch of holes and ripped some of the tiles with my jack and its stands. its not something I would use for my own floor, thats for sure.
ANTHONYD,Mar 17 2009, 02:27 PM Wrote:these guys are sold at costco.
And if I had the nice cars to show off, I'd go with these guys. (They're the guys on Powerblock TV on Spike)
[right][snapback]282882[/snapback][/right]

To ad to this: I've seen this on My Clasic Car with that crazy guy with the Moustache! lol

http://www.racedeck.com/
Holy overthetop cabinets Kev. Nice, but it's just a garage.

I went out and got me a used kitchen and it cost me nothing.

And is that an infared heater or just a electric? I need one and was looking at ta smaller infared but can't find anything smallish.

And I have the epoxy floors and so far(it's only been 9 months) no issues. I haven't had a fire but I've spilt oil and gas and it has cleaned up easily without leaving a stain or the floor coming off. What was your issue with the product? And did you clean the floor first with say TSP or an acid?
Yeah I know its just a garage, but it looks cool. I get the diamondplate pretty cheap (these smaller size offcuts) so its not that bad in cost. Cheaper than buying them.

As for the floor, the 1st year was good. The 2nd year it really chipped easily with the floor jack and jack stands. It also peeled up where I parked my car (in the second year). I just did the basic install, eteched the floor and two part epoxy + chips.

In a few other forums it was suggested that my premature failure was due to not putting a good high solids clear on it. So I may try this epoxy again and just do that in hopes that I get at least more than two years out of it.

Did you clear your epoxy floor?

The heater I think is just a basic electric heater w/ two large ceramic elements. I turn it on a few hours before going into the garage to do something and in the winter when its -15 outside it heats up the garage warm enough to work in with a sweater. An infrared heater would probably do a better job for me, but for what I paid I can't expect more.
Not to hijack this thread Kev, but where do you get the diamond plate? I have shown the mother in law and she wants her kitchen cabinets done. I am going to need around 14 equal size pieces around 15" X 26"
I did epoxy my floor. Bought the product from Home Depot.

Thanks for the info on the heater. I want an infared for my 2+ car garage.
hardk0re,Mar 17 2009, 09:29 PM Wrote:In a few other forums it was suggested that my premature failure was due to not putting a good high solids clear on it.  So I may try this epoxy again and just do that in hopes that I get at least more than two years out of it. 
[right][snapback]282907[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like these guys aren't putting in turbo chargers and replacing trannies in their garage ;)

I'm not conviced a 'high solid' clear coat is going to prevent cracks from jackstands holding up a 2800+ pound car. :ph34r: Especially with the kind of work you are doing in the garage. Im sure this stuff can hold up to minor abuse, but doubt it can take the abuse some normal mechanic garages go through. I certainly dont see Canada tire or any speedy muffler shops coating their floors with this stuff. <_<

If the epoxy (which I am assuming would be stronger than a clear coat paint) can't hold it, then a paint won't do it either.

I think those black and white tiles that Anthony posted would look a lot cooler in you're garage. Especially with the diamond plate cabinets.
Flofocus,Mar 18 2009, 09:48 AM Wrote:
hardk0re,Mar 17 2009, 09:29 PM Wrote:In a few other forums it was suggested that my premature failure was due to not putting a good high solids clear on it.  So I may try this epoxy again and just do that in hopes that I get at least more than two years out of it. 
[right][snapback]282907[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like these guys aren't putting in turbo chargers and replacing trannies in their garage ;)

I'm not conviced a 'high solid' clear coat is going to prevent cracks from jackstands holding up a 2800+ pound car. :ph34r: Especially with the kind of work you are doing in the garage. Im sure this stuff can hold up to minor abuse, but doubt it can take the abuse some normal mechanic garages go through. I certainly dont see Canada tire or any speedy muffler shops coating their floors with this stuff. <_<

If the epoxy (which I am assuming would be stronger than a clear coat paint) can't hold it, then a paint won't do it either.

I think those black and white tiles that Anthony posted would look a lot cooler in you're garage. Especially with the diamond plate cabinets.
[right][snapback]282937[/snapback][/right]
When my Dad was a Ford dealer principal I used to go every year and epoxy the floor of the garage where ever Ford had him at the time. It was a great summer job. The epoxy was good, but certainly not great at stopping everything from getting into the cement.
In my experience, the prep was the most important part of the process with the epoxy for it to work well. When I did my sister and bro in law's floor, I told them to clean it real good, use a degreaser and even gave them a light acid solution for etching the concrete. They said they prepped it but they didn't. Just hosed it off with water and left it to dry. I was pissed they didn't do it proper and since they were paying me to do it because they can't figure out how to use a roller on a floor I did it anyway. It lasted about 6 months and started to peel. When I did my parents and degreased it and etched it, hmm, 3 years, no peeling.

I don't know how much prep you did for yours, but I suggest that. I believe you can get a good rubberized floor coating that rolls on and is similar to the Rhino lininig or Line X but thinner and a little smoother.
So an update to this, after searching and weighing options. And evaluating some of the work i've done in the garage over the past few months I doubt anything can take the beating I give it and still look good. That said the flooring I have in there has looked 1/2 decent for 3 years, so repainting the floor every 3 years or so isn't the end of the world. And at $50 a pop for a 2 part epoxy its a heck of allot cheaper.