FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: aftermarket security/autolock system qestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son picked up a 2002 Protege5 5spd and it came with an aftermarket autostart/alarm/lock unit. The dealer had no idea how it works. Went online and downloaded a manual for it but it doesn't seem to be working. New batteries in the fobs but no action. Anyone familiar with these as to what to look for? It's a Compustar 2W900FMR(3000), any help would be welcome. Here's a few pics of the fobs and the units in the car.
[Image: keyfob.jpg]
[Image: recunit1.jpg]
[Image: recunit3.jpg]
[Image: recunit2.jpg]
compustars are great, so whats the issue? does the other remote fob work? it could be that the car is in "Valet" mode. If nothing works on it then get a hold of (KonaWRCfocus??), he is the resident expert i would say when it comes to electronics.
try following and tell me if it is in working condition or not.
go inside car and press lock/unlock button, do you hear any relay click?

if not, relearn remote by doing.., insert key into key cylinder, turn it on and off 5 times(do not crank start). parking light will flash once.

if you see parking light flash once, press "I" button on remote, there will be 2 more flash to complete learning process.
or go under the steering wheel column and trace thick wires and see if fuses are missing.

now try remote start car by pressing "II" button, if nothing happens, try learn tach.
if car starts but shuts off, count number of parking light flash.
depends on # of flashes, you will need to fix hood pin, or relearn transponder bypass.
Got the locks working but Auto start still not working. It's not in Valet mode as there are no "zzzz" appearing on the main fob. I beleive something about Reservation Mode as it is a manual tranny.
for manual, when get out of the car, step on brake pedal and hold.
pull ebrake and let the brake pedal go, there will be relay click.
then you can pull key out and car will still running..
go out and shut off door, car will shut off in could sec.
you will hear "melody" from remote.
Tried that and the engine didn't continue to run.
hmm..mazda protege5 does not have chip in the key right?

try learn tach.
Correct, no chip in Key. What is "learn tach"?
when car shuts off, how many parking light flashes were there?

i am not sure which brain compustar use, try this method to lean tach first.
start your car using key, let it idle for a bit, hold brake pedal and press II button for 2~3sec.
if you hear 1 flash, brain learned tach.

if that is not doing anything, brain must be older version, you will have to locate brain and there will be tach learning button on the side of brain, start engine, let it idle for a bit and press tach learning button. you will see 1 parking light flash.

but before trying this, when car shuts off, count number of flashes and post it here, that will tell me what exactly is not working correct.

it could be as simple as rusted hood pin.
Tried it again, parking lights didn't flash but it sounded like the car locked, then paused, then locked again.
hmm..it is very hard to say without looking at it..
but try these..

-open hood, locate hood pin, disconnect and try remote start after putting into reservation mode.

-check brake pedal if it is sticky.
OK, tried reservation mode again and managed to keep it running but once it shut off, the car wouldn't start by remote.
good thing you got it into reservation mode but when it shuts off, all doors were closed properly?
and did you open door by any chance?

if you open door, it will cancel reservation mode and you won't be able to remote start car.
Didn't open the door. As soon as I got out and shut the door, the engine turned off and the doors locked. Waited 30 seconds and tried the remote start. No go.
hmm..if u were closert o my location. i would take a look at it in person to see what is going on..
and if there were any indication on parking luight flashes, i could've solved your problem in no time.

when you picked up the car, was it in working condition?

if not, previous owner must have hooked up starter wire directly to key main cyliner harness..manual must hook up to clutch wire..and mazda is using +. so direct starter wire to clutch wire.

or he must have cut the green jumper wire inside of brain which will chagne setting manual to auto.