FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Maybe I'm late to the party...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
But the 2012 Focus ST? HOLY CRAP.

As long as I can swing the sticker, that will be the reason I sell my Escape and make the g/f learn to drive stick. Wait, that didn't sound right... Tongue

FJ has pics on the landing page, it's in da news blogs, bla bla bla.

Aside from the fact I hear from Gord and others now that it's only a 5-door (which I can soak), it's AWESOME.

Post up your thoughts. Big Grin
(09-15-2010, 09:35 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]But the 2012 Focus ST? HOLY CRAP.

As long as I can swing the sticker, that will be the reason I sell my Escape and make the g/f learn to drive stick. Wait, that didn't sound right... Tongue

FJ has pics on the landing page, it's in da news blogs, bla bla bla.

Aside from the fact I hear from Gord and others now that it's only a 5-door (which I can soak), it's AWESOME.

Post up your thoughts. Big Grin
Yeah, that doesn't sound right ... your g/f should have learned about the stick by now LOL.

We've had lots of threads about the possibility of the ST making it to these shores and everyone's agreed that the car would be an awesome addition to the FoC lineup ... depending of course on price.

If it's priced in the low to mid 40k which seems likely - then there's a lot of choices to be had in that price range and the car will have to be damned good to compete.

Ford afficianados like us will probably immediately appreciate its features and history more than the typical Japanese or Euro hot hatch intender ... I just hope that Ford brings it here (and does it right), and then perhaps more importantly, I hope they have the patience to wait as its reputation and sales grow.
$40k??? Let me laugh a little bit. :LOL:

$20k i bought my 07, $5k to put in a turbo, and another $3k for good suspension.

I'm still happy with my purchase.

For $40k, I'd expect RS with a 2.5L doing 300hp.
Yeah 40k is steep, unless it runs rings around the Mustang in all regards.

For $10K I can get another Duratec hatch, , several K to build the block and boost it, few more for susp and brake upgrades.

But, there's something to be said for starting with a 100 BHP/L inline-5 that will mod to well over 350BHP with decent parts.

Now, give it AWD and a 30K pricetag as a WRX-fighter and you have a deal.

Let the Mustangs worry about going in a straight line and let the Focus crowd fend off the EVOs and STIs, imported R33s, VW GTI R32s, etc.
I think it's an awsome step in the right direction!! i'd say $30-35g's tops.... because just under $30g's gets you a 300+ mustang v6 and 2 doors less LOL
(09-15-2010, 11:01 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]For $10K I can get another Duratec hatch, , several K to build the block and boost it, few more for susp and brake upgrades.
But how's that warranty working for you?

Big difference buying a car and modding it and manufacturing a car with a 5yr/100,000km powertrain warranty.

Quote:Now, give it AWD and a 30K pricetag as a WRX-fighter and you have a deal.
Not going to happen. A loaded regular Focus will be pushing $30G.

Quote:Let the Mustangs worry about going in a straight line and let the Focus crowd fend off the EVOs and STIs, imported R33s, VW GTI R32s, etc.
Sorry, man. You ARE late to the party. Mustangs aren't just straight-liners anymore.
Click here, my friend.
Man, this is one rumour that is like a cockroach, damn near unkillable no matter who says what.

I'll believe it when I see the thing on the lot at my local Ford dealership with a price sticker on it and not one millisecond before that. I've heard this one way too many times, besides, unless it comes with some sort of automatic transmission option I'm out of luck any how.

As to Mustangs being more than straight liners:

True enough they are much more able to turn than they used to be, but all I had to do was change out the stock springs on my car and I could keep up with them on the twisty stuff. Not sure they've improved that much seeing that Tongue Big Grin

NefCanuck
Sparky - they're massively improved over the pre-05s, but a properly-built ST would still "likely" embarass them. When you have less mass to overcome and a lower CoG, well... you get the idea.

And the Duratec hatch comment was def. about a used car. I AM the guy that just bought a '00 ZX3 with 300k on it, after all Smile

Nef - howsabout a PowerShift 6-speed automated-manual for you? If I bought a Fiesta today, that's the only transmission I'd buy methinks.
I'm not talking pre-05's I'm talking 11s with the Brembo package vs 10s. Do you really think that a Focus will keep up with an M3?

Look, I was all about getting the ST or RS, but I'm not waiting another 2 years for something that "may come" and not be better.
The 11s with the Brembo package would require an equal "response", not that Ford wants in-fighting among its ranks.

It's highly unlikely we'd get a Focus with over 250HP as it would directly compete with the base Mustang.

Perhaps, and we can only hope, that they discontinue the V6 Mustang. From there, let the Focus handle the little stuff and leave the bigger stuff, like Corvette / Camaro / Challenger slaying to the Mustang. Obviously I mean the new GT500 goes up against a Vette.
I see the ST as a competitor for the GTI, Civic SI, and Mazdaspeed3, not the WRX, STI, Evo or Ralliart. To me, they are two seperate classes almost, between the AWD and FWD.

And NOS, they won't be killing the V6 Mustang anytime soon. If anything, you'll be seeing an Ecoboost Mustang replace the V6 as the entry level, and an Ecoboost V6 replace the GT, and then have a Mach1/Boss variant for the V8 crowd.

I'm already thinking that a 2012 ST would be a good replacement for my 2000 SE. Just gotta get the wife on board. Big Grin Just maybe not in the orange/yellow colour. Sonic Blue maybe... I'd be willing to go low $30,000s for it, but not much more. Keep it under the Mazdaspeed3 (currently $36k), and you've got a deal. Big Grin
God damnit! I didn't see this when I made the 2012 ST post!
It's got pics in it at least.. lol
(09-16-2010, 12:24 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]Nef - howsabout a PowerShift 6-speed automated-manual for you? If I bought a Fiesta today, that's the only transmission I'd buy methinks.

Depends how its set up on the wheel, I've seen some setups that I can use and others that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Ah the Fiesta, smashed myself into on at Carlisle this past June... NFW just about covers it Undecided

NefCanuck
I still maintain that nobody in NA will pay that kind of money when they can get a mustang for the same or cheaper.

And why kill off the v6 mustang? It fills a very prevalent demographic need in NA. And, I'm sorry, a 2011 GT, for less than the expected sticker on an ST focus would likely run circles around it. That solid rear axle doesn't inspire confidence, but the car can handle well enough.. because in the end, it's how you drive it, not what you drive.

As much as I would love these cars to come over and be successful, the reality of the market in NA is totally different.

BTW.. I've been driving a Fiesta the last week or so -- it's a crackin' little car. And a joy to park in impossible parking spots.
Steve-o! How goes the Italian odessey?

I like the Fiesta. I'd turn one into a track rat if I had the extra cash.

Sadly, you're quite right on both counts. The V6 Mustang is finally a "contender", and the GT is the Pony Car™ king. But, that ignores the sport compact fans who've been getting shafted by Ford for 10+ years, simply because Ford NA / Ford of Canada won't bring the Euro goodness over. I'll fight that fight till the day I die. Smile

Ryan, I meant to hit your idea earlier but got distracted. I like the EcoBoost ideas for the Mustang, as they'd draw in more guys (like me) who would otherwise spend that cash on a Euro-spec Focus ST. I'd much rather upgrade a boosted Mustang with all the guts in-place than boost from scratch after already having laid out that kind of cash for the car.
(09-17-2010, 08:42 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]Ryan, I meant to hit your idea earlier but got distracted. I like the EcoBoost ideas for the Mustang, as they'd draw in more guys (like me) who would otherwise spend that cash on a Euro-spec Focus ST. I'd much rather upgrade a boosted Mustang with all the guts in-place than boost from scratch after already having laid out that kind of cash for the car.

$6-7G extra gets you boosted with 570RWHP on a 5.0L GT with a warranty and the only other mod you'd need is catbacks and springs. Performs equal to or better than a Shelby for $10G less.
You guys need to hit up lapping in your stock focus's/mustangs before building them and spinning out at the track.
Can't wait for Sparky to bring out the 5L. Smile
They are likely going to have an ST variant of the Fiesta, possibly 2 of them (one being a 1.6L Ecoboost with 172hp, and another 2.0L Ecoboost that is over 235hp). They are going to have to now that Chevy is releasing a performance vaiant of their Aveo and other small cars this year...
Ian! You're alive! Big Grin

Yeah I actually drove a 2011 Fiesta SE Hatch with the PowerShift 6-speed the other day when I went in to schedule an oil change and tire swap.

I gotta say, susp. upgrade, intake, exhaust and a flash and you're gonna embarass a LOT of cars. An EcoBoost ST-version is GAME OVER for a lot of other "contenders".

I flogged it pretty good, bending it through some back-road industrial areas in North Bay, hammering through corners. Wow. Two solid thumbs up. And in typical Ford style, I didn't have to drive with the seat all the way back and "gangsta" lean on the seatback adjustment (and I'm 6'3", mind).

The only perceived downsides? The engine is a tad boomy through the mid-range (but otherwise sounds great) and an intake would fix that right up, and you can't manually shift the transmission. Other than that? Nothing glaring.
I was in North Bay yesterday, I looked but I didn't see you. lol Did see a borderline-ricey (IMO) Ion though.

WTF is it with NB the mall rolls up the sidewalk at 6 on a Saturday, I was looking to buy my kid a laser printer and Futureshop was closed. :p
Pages: 1 2