FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: British Columbia: 40km/h over limit tops out 50km/h
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbi...dment.html

"Drivers caught speeding excessively in British Columbia will soon risk having their cars impounded for the offence.

Starting Sept. 20, drivers caught going more than 40 km/h over the posted speed limit will have their vehicle impounded for seven days, the provincial government announced Thursday.

"Excessive speed is often a death sentence," said B.C. Solicitor General Mike de Jong. "We want to save lives by going after the kind of driver who drives significantly and dangerously over the posted speed limit, and then get them off the road."

A driver caught committing the same speeding offence a second time will lose the vehicle for 30 days.

The penalty will be 60 days for drivers who are caught for a third time or more within a two-year period.

Additional penalties
Impoundment will be in addition to existing penalties, which include:

A fine of $368 to $483, depending on how excessive the speed.
Three penalty points on the driver's licence.
An ICBC driver-risk premium of $320 a year for three years, over and above regular insurance premiums.
Street racers will also affected by the rule change. Under the new provisions, both drivers deemed to be involved in street racing will face minimum seven-day impoundments.

Street racing previously had a minimum impoundment period of 48 hours.

Additionally, the Motor Vehicle Act now makes careless acts such as excessive tailgating, and reckless driving actions such as wheelies and doughnuts subject to a seven-day impoundment, de Jong said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbi...z10J5o0TRh
"
Good for B.C. I still don't think personally around here regular driving infractions are enforced enough. Not enough traffic cops, way to many bad drivers.
no real need to go THAT fast over the speed limit.. wonder which province will be next...
I get pulled over about twice a month for noise. Yet atleast 3 times a day I'll have someone right up my ass flashing lights saying I'm going too slow in the far right lane while doing 20 over the limit. Then they race past me at a light and cut me off no more then 2 feet from my car as I pull slowly away from the light.

This will do nothing but piss people off even more. normal ppl sometimes find them selves travelling a little too fast from just something simple of a non readable speed limit sign that changes from 80 to 50.

I don't see any laws enforced except for ones of noise.
I also don't see any of those ppl changing they're driving habbits too.
(09-24-2010, 01:50 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]I get pulled over about twice a month for noise. Yet atleast 3 times a day I'll have someone right up my ass flashing lights saying I'm going too slow in the far right lane while doing 20 over the limit. Then they race past me at a light and cut me off no more then 2 feet from my car as I pull slowly away from the light.

This will do nothing but piss people off even more. normal ppl sometimes find them selves travelling a little too fast from just something simple of a non readable speed limit sign that changes from 80 to 50.

I'm surprised why cars nowadays aren't fitted with warning detection systems that when travelling at 50km/h or more, are governed when closer than 15ft of another vehicle in front. That would stop half of that s**t tailgating.
(09-24-2010, 02:47 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2010, 01:50 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]I get pulled over about twice a month for noise. Yet atleast 3 times a day I'll have someone right up my ass flashing lights saying I'm going too slow in the far right lane while doing 20 over the limit. Then they race past me at a light and cut me off no more then 2 feet from my car as I pull slowly away from the light.

I'm surprised why cars nowadays aren't fitted with warning detection systems that when travelling at 50km/h or more, are governed when closer than 15ft of another vehicle in front. That would stop half of that s**t tailgating.

Very good point.
HorsePowerFreaks install a warning system on the cars when they reach 150KM
Getting pulled over twice per month for exhaust noise? What are you running, open headers?

I'm running full turbo back and never got pulled over once for any noise....and I'm often in GTA.
Its crazy but I have OBX 4-1 Header, Magnaflow 2.5" Highflow Cat, Mangaflow 2.25" muffler, Steeda short Ram CAI, Cosworth Intake Manifold. The manifold made it quite lol. But they still chase me and shoot me dirty looks as I just drive by doing the speed limit minding my own business. Peel region. Whatcha gonna do.
I actually got a Caution the other day to fix my broken exhaust lol from Officer Martin Badge #3205. Imporper muffler fine warning $85-$110.
Johnny is lookin for trouble.
(09-24-2010, 10:42 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: [ -> ]Johnny is lookin for trouble.

I'm looking for some new hot ass lol While the last one still calls wanting more lol
Well here's a good one.............FML

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local...lumbiaHome
(09-28-2010, 02:02 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Well here's a good one.............FML

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local...lumbiaHome

Quote:He added that human error and prejudice could come into play when traffic police don't use radar guns. "If the driver's a jerk, you might tend to estimate that the speed is higher."
I guess that means Ken, Steve and Daniel are the only FCnet members that can really drive in BC. Tongue
Sorry, I forgot Phil. All the rest of you f$&%@rs can go to hell. Big Grin
If they pass this here, I'm buying a snoot.
I find it interesting that they don't want people travelling beyond 40 or 50km's/hr over the speed limit, and yet the OPP can give you a fine for "impeeding the flow of traffic", which loosely translates into driving too slowly in the left lanes on the highway. I can tell you that around parts of Ottawa, or Montreal, or even driving through the US, that sometimes you have no choice to travel at almost 140km's/hr because everyone else is.
I dunno bout that dude. I mean, I don't speed (not admitting to anything on a forum anymore) regularly at all. 401 is where I've seen the most speeders.

Ottawa ppl seem to not speed if anything. 417 doesn't frequently have ppl going more than 30 over on it. 416 ppl do max 125-130. 401 is where the party is at though.
I love to party
(09-29-2010, 07:54 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]I love to party

buddy of mine has two 12'' subs in the trunk of his minivan, limo tint all around and 9-color LED's that flash to the beat of the bass in his van.

now THAT's a party van.
Sounds gay'ish but yes.
I remember one section of the Island highway that I was warned about. Even just doing 10km/hr over, you hit this huge drop and at the bottom the speed is 40-50? It's a field day for the cops. If your brake rotors don't glow red by the time you hit the bottom, you're getting a ticket.
(09-29-2010, 07:54 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]I love to party

[Image: demotivational-posters-life-is-good.jpg]
Pages: 1 2