FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rustproof?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone, I'm starting to see some rust at the rear wheel well Angry, and asked a few people if i should do rust proof to stop it. Some said that it wont help the problem while others say that it will.

Just want to hear what your opinions are, any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
once there is rust the only way to get rid of it is to cut it out and put in new metal.
Well you're kinda late. You can start oil spraying which would prevent the spread in the future.
I oil spray my car before the winter and right after to keep her rust free.
Get good-quality body work done to correct it. Alternatively, swap in a whole new fender.

Once done, there are several undercoat options available to you. Ford (up here anyways) used to have some yellow s**t that worked well.

I have the electronic module on the Escape. So far, no rust.
As others have said, once the chemical reaction that forms rust has started, no way to stop it dead, only slow it down.

So your options are basically correct only the affected area, but the surrounding metal may in fact already be on the way to oxidizing, or remove & replace the entire piece if feasible and repaint.

As for what product to use, you'll get so many different answers that it will make your head spin. I personally use an oil type spray every fall and every car that I've owned has always been rock solid underneath. The surface rust on the exterior panels is as a result of stone chips etc. that aren't treated promptly, which is why you have to be anal about dealing with those pronto when they appear.

NefCanuck

01SE-ferferp

I have an 01 SE and didn't rust proof it only after 06, as expected some minor rust developed on the car by the lower inside parts of the doors and trunk, and some small spots along all of the fenders. After the car's first rust proofing on Nov 06 all of the existing rust stopped and didn't grow as I continued rust proofing the car every year. As for the already rusted parts I sanded the areas, prime them and repaint it them. The car is almost 10 years and some people think I do not drive it on the Winter but I do as it is my DD

Cheers
I had Krown rust proof my mkx and planning to do it every other year. If you do choose to rust proof it go with a brand name.
(09-30-2010, 07:56 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]I oil spray my car before the winter and right after to keep her rust free.

Overkill Nik.

I crown my car every 2 years. 0 rust on her so far.
anyone here ever heard of rust converters? It supposingly stops rust once its started?