FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: just a rant, i hate insurance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so we took off my dads old house insurance from our policy, look at that insurance went up 200/yr, big surprise.

for some reason mine and my dads insurance has always been far more then anyone elses so i shopped around.

went to belair, took all the info from my statement from aviva and entered everything in from infractions to claims etc... forgetting what tickets i have an when i got em

i get a email after paying to set it up etc... was going to be 190$/month, almost half what we were paying for the exact same policy. so i just got off the phone with them...

Apparently i am a facility driver, being as i have 4 tickets. apparently a muffler ticket and a failure to present insurance card (card was expired by 2 days) a speeding ticket and a seat belt ticket (all of which we more then a year ago) means i cant be insured by a regular insurance company!

I cant believe it! a muffler ticket from 2.5 years ago pops up? for real? my own insurance company i have no doesnt even think i have 1 ticket let alone 4!

anyways thats my rant, im super pissed off that i cant get a reasonable insurance rate because i had an expired insurance slip and a fucking fart cannon a few years ago

ridiculous....
(09-30-2010, 06:55 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]anyways thats my rant, im super pissed off that i cant get a reasonable insurance rate because i had an expired insurance slip and a fucking fart cannon a few years ago

Well, not that I am by any means defending insurace companies, but it wasn't the 2 tickets that are screwing you but having 4. You should have pulled a driver's extract before you rock the insurance boat, it costs like $10 and can be done at any Ontario govt. kiosk. Running your driving record is the status quo for new customers.

It's likely not those 2 that are really screwing you -- UNLESS it was a "not having insurance" charge and not a "failure to provide proof" charge; most insurance companies will overlook a ticket or two -- most likely it's the speeding ticket and the no seatbelt that are hurting you the most, especially if it was a 30km or over ticket.

It takes 3 years for tickets to roll off, if you had kept track of your dates you could have waited for the .5 years for the 2 tickets to roll off before you renewed your insurance.
Jamie, its the Proof of insurance ticket that got you.
The others are minors but the Proof one is a major.
3 years for tickets
7+ for accidents
and even still, they show up when they check your Drivers record. This is a record that you are not allowd to see BTW. Only insurance personal can see. From what I believe. And still that cost them $15-$50 to view it too.

Insurance companies are like a bad BJ... You'd like it to be amazing. But it just gets worse as time goes on.
So keep looking cause there is always one better around the corner lol.
Same thing happened to me 7 years ago. 3 speeding tickets, and 1 proof of insurance (forgot to put the new card in my glove box, 14 days after expiry). Belair wouldn't renew me as they pulled my driver's abstract, so I had to go on 'high risk'.

You shouldn't have to go on facility insurance, as it's more expensive than 'high risk'. Find a local broker, and see what they charge you. Forget the big companies. Luckily, I only had to wait 6 months, as I had 1 ticket drop off. Then back to Belair, as I still haven't found anybody that can touch their rates.
basically what the guy at belair said to me was this: "we are not able to insure you because you have to many convictions"
me: what tickets do i have that impact my insurance?
him: well seeing as how you have 4 minor convictions, we deem you to be a facility driver
me: what 4 tickets do i have that impact insurance?
him: 1 muffler ticket from over 2 years ago, 1 seat belt from 2 years ago, failure to show proof of insurance 1 year ago and 1 speeding violation in excess of 10 km over the speed limit
me: are you fucking kidding me? a muffler ticket impacts me insurace?
him: yes, any ticket under the OHTA impacts your drivers history
me: youve gotta be fucking kidding me. how does that have anything to do with how safe a driver i am? same with insurance, showing an expired slip when the policy number is the damn same a week after the new slip came in...

luckily for me, im still with aviva and they have me rated as no convictions. there are 2 things hurting me/my dad at the moment, my accident from 2 years ago, and my brothers from 4 years ago when he wrote a car off. for some reason even tho he was dropped off 2 years ago and has his own insurance, we pay a premium for his accident on our "policy"

i just hate the fact that my insurance is 350$/month, however its looking good compared to facility at the moment. when i had my accident it was only 170/month and they gave us accident forgiveness to so theres really no reason why it should of gone up
Dude, I'm with Statefarm... Paying $360.xx
When I was 21 they tried to put me as a full time driver on the car.
Statefarm still insured me but I was technically threw Facility.
No tickets and no accidents on my record with a 2 year old car.

Per month I was paying $998.xx
Took 3 months to take that off.

Then went to a payment of $280.xx
Now that I'm 24 (had to think about that one lol) I'm on the car full time paying $197.xx

Car is in my Dad's name (wouldn't lease to me when I was 19) and so is the insurance.

We pay when we are young but it get better. Trust.
Says you about rates getting better as you get older man, I'm 38.

I'm paying $201 a month on the Fusion, full coverage, no tickets or convictions. The two accident claims in '08 are the only thing they have on me but in neither case was I deemed "at fault" and I'm a seven star driver according to my insurance company with full accident forgiveness on my policy.

Screwy part is that if I bought a Mustang GT, it would be less to insure then the Fusion Dodgy

NefCanuck
You guys pay way too much. Shop around. I pay less than $200/month for two vehicles.

Holy crap $350/month? That's insane.
tell me about it...

when we first got the focus it was under 170/month. that was with my dad having 2 speeding tickets, my brother having an accident and me being 18 at the time i purchased it. its killer man, i talked to a broker for my insurance last night and stupidly my brother was still named on insurance as an occasional driver (my car is the only one on the policy at the moment) when he has his own insurance through them on his truck, and his accident didnt transfer with him, they are charging both me and him on 2 seperate policies for the accident history.

i have shopped around before, unfortunately i own an economy car, which happens to be red and im with aviva which is retarded. nowhere has given me a good price and at the moment finding out i would be a facility driver ill stick with 350/month instead of the higher facility rates. im working with them right now to get rates reduced but theres only so much you can do without reducing the coverage i have. girl told me bumping deductibles up to 1000 wud only save me 20$/yr so i said fawk that just in case some "new canadian" side swipes me in a round-a-bout
Your brother has his own insurance policy and is named as an occasional on another insurance policy? When Aaron bought his new car I had to sign documents taking him off my policy and he got his own policy. They made it appear to me that it was illegal to be insured on more than one policy. Don't know if that's true, buit if it is, ask for a discount for the mistake your broker/insurance company made.

And is your brother and your insurance with Aviva?
Everyone in your house hold has to be insured on your policy, even if they have they're own policy. You are on they'res too. It's incase they take the car. Its BS but thats how they work. You will have to sign Docs and state that you are the only person to drive it in your household.
^ not true

however he has not been in my house for 1.5 years now and has had his own insurance for that amount of time. his insurance however is the same broker, but not the same insurer, he is with ING's insurance they have now.

its not illegal, however why pay for liability on 2 policies? no makes no sense... i know for my work vehicles i am covered under the work policy, but i have to keep my own personal liability incase of law suit etc...

at the end of the day, life sucks, insurance is worst and all i wanna do is pay my bills and have enough money left over to hit 300whp by may. might be time for a part time job in the evenings LOL mortgages suck, and they suck even more when its only a single income, plus car payments and everything else in life
(10-01-2010, 06:57 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]at the end of the day, life sucks, insurance is worst and all i wanna do is pay my bills and have enough money left over to hit 300whp by may. might be time for a part time job in the evenings LOL mortgages suck, and they suck even more when its only a single income, plus car payments and everything else in life

Get used to it; it doesn't matter if you make $40G or $140G a year. If insurance is is an issue you should reconsider your quest for more power, it'll likely get you into even more trouble not less.

Get your record clean, and it won't be an issue. I pay $340 a month; for 3 cars AND my house, and that's in an area that has a disproportionally high rating because of all of the car dealerships in my postal code. The insurance for a Mustang GT is the same as my Focus.
(10-01-2010, 06:12 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Your brother has his own insurance policy and is named as an occasional on another insurance policy? When Aaron bought his new car I had to sign documents taking him off my policy and he got his own policy. They made it appear to me that it was illegal to be insured on more than one policy. Don't know if that's true, buit if it is, ask for a discount for the mistake your broker/insurance company made.
More likely the documents you signed were more to prove to the insurance company that Aaron had SOME sort of insurance so that they can let you pay less insurance.
What's bullshit is I pay 175 a month, my new rate for next renewal without ANY tickets or claims is going up to 210!
I asked Belair why, and they said everybody will be getting charged a higher "vehicle accident premium" or some bullshit.. I'm gonna try to go elsewhere.
everyone goes up a Max of 15% unless the applie for the high percent and the gov approves of it.
If you have a decent rate stay were you are. If you hop around insurance companies hate that. also don't leave untill ur term is up or thats a mark on ur abstract. or stop payment. 3 or more of those and you can kiss insurance good bye lol.
The government approved a 25% hike.
She said the government does a survey every 5 years to check how many claims and so on.. I guess it was a high 5 year for those.
I'm with Monnex. I got a policy via my mom but the car, policy and everything is in my name. I'm the full time driver.

I get my mom's multi-line discount which saves me some 40-50% I think.

@ 20, I pay 189$/month. I've got full coverage @ 1000$ deductibles. I might have to cnsider lowering that to 500.

But yeah, damn your guys insurance is expensive. Especially you John.
(10-01-2010, 07:18 AM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2010, 06:57 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]at the end of the day, life sucks, insurance is worst and all i wanna do is pay my bills and have enough money left over to hit 300whp by may. might be time for a part time job in the evenings LOL mortgages suck, and they suck even more when its only a single income, plus car payments and everything else in life

Get used to it; it doesn't matter if you make $40G or $140G a year. If insurance is is an issue you should reconsider your quest for more power, it'll likely get you into even more trouble not less.

i havent got a single ticket since boost

also, talked to my broker again last night, shes looking into my brother rating, but from what she can tell, he most likely isnt being rated for his accident leave me with 2 accidents on the policy. also, we had accident forgiveness (or so we thought) she was looking it over and it seems we dont??? we did for the first accident because it was a 2 year grace period, and my accident was 2 years 4 days after my brothers.

i just need to not get pulled over. speeding was 10 over in a work truck and it had a brake light out so thats why i was originally pulled over on my way back from sudbury, seatbelt was once again in my work van getting off the 403 and the other 2 that actually dont matter were in my car. ive been pulled over for some pretty dumb reasons
Just an FYI that "Accident Forgiveness" only counts for the first accident and only gets rolled off if there's no other accidents; not sure if it's 2 or 5 years before it resets but IF you get a second accident it goes straight to "2" accidents as far as your record is concerned.
(10-01-2010, 11:20 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]i havent got a single ticket since boost

Better knock on wood...Tongue
my broker is looking into it for me to see whats up. they told us the rates would not go up, but the following renewal they went from 2000/yr to 3400/yr and now to over 4000/yr at 349$/month