FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: need a networking geek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a business DSL line in my house in Ottawa, so lucky me I have 6 static IP's to play with.

Problem: dunno wtf that is. I know "what" it is, but not how to use it.

Current set up is as follows,

Bell > Acanac > Modem > Router > Desktop

I have a 2nd router I can use as a switch, I can even use my desktop as a switch with the right software ( I have dual gigabit ethernet ports )

speaking of my dual ethernet ports, could I technically have TWO internet connections on my desktop? Giving me 2x speed?
no, all static IPs will share the same DSL line -- if you want more throughput, you'll have to up your overall bandwidth.
i meant 2x the speed by having dual internet connections.
which btw is funny cause that service is being offered as MLPPP internet (basically multiple dsl lines into their own router)
Your machine could, in theory receive twice as many packets from two lines, but in practice, it won't really happen. You could see a slight increase in web-page downloads if both lines are load-balanced, and maybe an increase in bittorrent, but you'd have to make sure the software is configured properly, and other services like gaming won't likely see any improvement.

The only real benefit is that you could have twice the bandwidth to share, so a few computers using the web at the sametime won't have much visible affect on overall speed.
(10-18-2010, 02:10 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]Your machine could, in theory receive twice as many packets from two lines, but in practice, it won't really happen. You could see a slight increase in web-page downloads if both lines are load-balanced, and maybe an increase in bittorrent, but you'd have to make sure the software is configured properly, and other services like gaming won't likely see any improvement.

The only real benefit is that you could have twice the bandwidth to share, so a few computers using the web at the sametime won't have much visible affect on overall speed.

yeah im not actually goign to do that, if I ever did though it'd be to have a line dedicated for downloading/hosting.

as for the static IP's, ill have to figure that out some more but from what I gather i have to use either all 6 or none? As in, i can't set it so that only one comp on the network gets its own ip?
yes, in fact, you can... you can set your router's NAT to provide DHCP to all machines, and put your one machine in with the static IP and gateway settings from your ISP for that one machine only.

Then you'll need to define a route in your router settings to grab that IP mask/IP and forward it to the gateway specified by your ISP.

And that should get your one computer running the static IP, and the rest running NAT via your router. Depending on your ISP/router, you may need to use one of your static IPs for the router.
you most likely are going to have to go from Bell copper line - > aDSL Mode, -> Ethernet switch - > then you can either connect to a PC or device or router and each will get its own external lan ip. this depends on how you need to configure your setup. how many devices do you require external lan IP's?

your router will only handle one external lan IP, but the router shares the one ip with multiple devices, not sure what your trying to acomplish here?