FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need a new cell phone -- confusion.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My phone is toast. Battery barely lasts a day (if I don't use it much), buttons are busticated and sometimes work.

I need a new one! I have about 6 months left of my Bell contract, and not sure if we're staying with them, or moving on to another thief after that.

So looking at something I can buy outright and take it to another company if we do go down that road.

Any good suggestions? I don't need a smartphone either unless I can get a comparable rate.

I was looking at the Samsung Gravity Touch. If I were going to go the smartphone route, I was looking into Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. They both look like they use simcards and I can move them around.

Don't want a blackberry, and I wouldn't buy an iPhone unless someone had a gun to my head.
Thing is you have to know what you want the phone to do before you start shopping around, also check out Howardforums.com, they have Canadian specific sections (for carriers & phones)

I fell into the cult of Apple because I trust Google & M$ even less with my personal data than I do Apple (and I really don't trust Apple either)

NefCanuck
Do you want a phone for free that can tied you over until you sign a new contract and get a new phone then? I may be able to help out.
Craigslist is great for phones. The wife and I both bought used no contract phones to replace a busted unit to hold us over until we were due for an equipment upgrade. Be sure you find one for your carrier.
I have a drawer full of phones if you need one.

Sony Ericson k750
Sony Ericson Xperia x1

are the two newest (the x1 being the newer of the two). They show signs of wear... the X1 being in better shape than the k750, but the k750 is the better phone IMO.
Look at the Torch. Awesome phone. People I show it to that have a IPhone they pretty much want to smash they're phones lol. Only thing Apple has on it is the millions of Apps.

Other than that good luck.
HTC magic was my favorite so far. Now I got a BB Bold 9700, not worth it IMO.
I have an LG Eve from Rogers. I've been very happy with it and could rant and rave about it... except it goes brain dead or something. The touch screen miss you're input by 1/2 an inch. You press here, and an icon you're not even close to touching goes off. Other times, it gets so messed up, you just can't use it. Love it when it works, hate it when it doesn't. If 100%, I need it NOW reliability is needed, pass on this one.
(10-05-2010, 03:03 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]HTC magic was my favorite so far. Now I got a BB Bold 9700, not worth it IMO.

Nah you have the 9000... now go and tell Shayne you want a 9700. It's a WAY better phone.

I just like it for the built-in MS Office-compatibility. My workout logs are in Excel 2003 format and I can work with them, edit them and save them without grief. I can then back them up with a simple copy/paste in Windows Explorer. It's cake.
personally i love the blackberry. dont be a fairy and buy a pearl or a curve tho, if you want a decent phone gotta go with atleast the bold 9000, but 9700 and torch are both awesome.

any rogers blackberry can also be put onto bell and telus to, just have to update the OS with software from telus or bell and put in a new sim card. my 9000 is currently on telus but was originally a rogers phones. makes changing carriers a breeze if you ever need to
(10-06-2010, 06:58 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]personally i love the blackberry. dont be a fairy and buy a pearl or a curve tho, if you want a decent phone gotta go with atleast the bold 9000, but 9700 and torch are both awesome.

any rogers blackberry can also be put onto bell and telus to, just have to update the OS with software from telus or bell and put in a new sim card. my 9000 is currently on telus but was originally a rogers phones. makes changing carriers a breeze if you ever need to

Correction: Any Rogers blackberry that includes UMTS 850/1900 Frequencies can operate on Bellus (Bell or Telus) once its UNLOCKED.

GSM ONLY blackberries such as the 2G Perl & 2G Curves will NOT work on Bellus. They do not operate a 2G GSM Network.
Thanks for all of your input on this, and Bryan for the offer of the phone.

Ended up going to raise hell at Bell yesterday after we received our bill (the long distance was ridiculous the past month because I had to make a ton of calls). This after wifey called Bell CS to see what was going on, and to get a better long distance plan.. which we got, but didn't get this a the last time she called, which was right before I left for out east.

Oh, and we were still paying the system access fee because it was attached to our old plan, and to get rid of that we'd have to get a new plan and new contract. Which irked me.

The guy at the Bell store in Fairview (David.. reminds me of the asian guy on Barney Miller) told us to call retentions and be nice to them since we were going to just buy out the contract and leave because we were so pissed off.

Anyhow, we managed to get smartphone plans for $45 each with 500MB of data, bunch of minutes, unlimited text, voicemail, and caller ID, along with unlimited Canada/US long distance (after 6pm which is great for me since I sleep all day, and work all evening/night) thrown in for nothing.

I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy (Android 1.5, but better than the other offerings) for $0, and Mish got a Samsung Wave. Really wanted the Galaxy Vibrant, but I got "the look" when she looked at the price tag and that ended that conversation.

Has wifi, gps, bluetooth, the whole deal. Hers does too even. So not burning my data usage using the network unless I'm in the sticks.

Now to see if I can get it to upgrade to Android 2.1 or 2.2...
Depending on the phone you may be waiting on Bell and not Samsung to offer an upgraded version of Android (If Bell "customized" it, then you're stuck waiting on Bell unless you root the thing)

With only 500MB of data per month, whatever you do don't do streaming audio over the phone while on the road.

That really chews through data if you're listening for a while, esp. at a higher bit rate like 128K. I have a 6GB plan so I'm set. I output it via BT through the cars speakers and I can listen to anything from 'round the world)

NefCanuck