FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: F'ing HID's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am not 100% sure what is wrong with them but last night between Kipling and The Gardiner and home at McCowan and Lawerance, one, the other or both went out at least 20 times. They would come back on after flipping the switch off then back on again, but only for a short period of time.

This has been an intermitant issue for me for the past 6-8 months but never as bad as last night. I have checked all the connections, grounds etc. and I cannot seem to figure this out. I suspect it to be the ballasts, but for both of them to show the same problem at the same time????

I give up. I am swapping out the garbage for some 70/80W Yellow Hella bulbs.
Did you disable your DRLs?

Did you upgrade your lowbeam Fuses to 20amp?
(10-05-2010, 02:30 AM)SL8RZZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you disable your DRLs?

Did you upgrade your lowbeam Fuses to 20amp?

DRL Fogs.

The fuse isn't blowing. Lights just go off at random. One side or the other, sometimes both. They always come back on when I switch them off and on.
Bad ballasts?
Thats what I am thinking. But I am giving up on them. I got almost 2 years out of them. I don't think they owe me anything. Installing 80W Hella Yellows tomorrow.
This is what has kept me from doing HID's, wanted HID fogs for some time...
i had similar problem, i am on same ballast and same hid bulb for 5 years directly plug into factory socket and my pass side was flickering, all i did was put 15amp each(for driver/pass side).

try uprate fuses or add relay harness to pull power directly from battery.
My kit is plug and play too. I will check the fuses tonight at the meet. I never thought to check the fuses as the lights are still getting power. Why would a fuse cause them to flicker and go out?
if u do not have fuse, i have 15amp you can try out.
and i will b there around 7:15
Do your HID's have a ballast and seperate igniter or all in one? What brand are they?
If its seperate its your igniter or your battery could be weak that also will mess up your HID's
I am not sure what make they are. I got them off the guy from TM3. AFAIK its all in one unit. You can have a look tonight if you like.
Another thing to check is the ground wire for your ballast. HID ballasts don't like it if you have an iffy ground connection.
I was affraid of that problem too, I put my park lights/turn signals on a seperate ground, unlike the HID how-to tells you to share the same ground. I have never had one problem.

If this doesnt solve it, put in 2 relays and get power straight from the battery. The Ford Racing HID kit does this.
At the moment they are sitting in a box in the hatch. I pulled the whole lot out on Wednesday at lunch. I am currently running 80W Hella Yellow bulbs. I had checked and double checked the grounds many times. Even applied dialectric grease to help with the connections. No luck.
just buy a set of ignited from your work, all plug and play, no bs wiring to work with. bam, golden
I hope you will get fixed it soon by getting help from any of the members here.. Smile
Problem has been solved by a set of 80W Hella yellow H3's. HID's are going in the trash unless somebody wants to f**k with them.
i'll take your hids and F with them....been thinking about HID's in the van.
Seems like we're all getting these problems at the same time..
This morning I noticed I had no lights at all.. I noticed my bulbs had changed colors from brighter to less bright, so my first guess it the bulbs are gone but seems odd that both would blow at the same time.
one of my 7 yrs old ballastors gave up on me, tried switch bulb from driver to pass side, same problem.
ended up getting 1 slim ballastor on pass side.
Pages: 1 2