FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Limewire has been shut down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well it looks as if all the major recording companies have gotten together and shut down the popular file sharing website Limewire. Go to their webpage and check out the court order. http://www.limewire.com
this sucks, now what to use?
who needs limewire? stick with the private torrent sites, keep your ratios and you'll get 10mb/sec downloads and no trojans.
Lime wire should have been shut down 5+ years ago, who still uses limewire anyways? half the content on there was fake, poor quality, or full of viruses etc.

I dunno about downloading music unlawfully, I still purchase my music online or hard copy from the store or legally obtain it through my affiliations with record producers / music labels.
Screw torrents even!
Newsgroups are the way to go. I get 1200KB or 1.2MBsec download from start to finish with no uploading!
(10-31-2010, 12:19 AM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]Lime wire should have been shut down 5+ years ago, who still uses limewire anyways? half the content on there was fake, poor quality, or full of viruses etc.

I dunno about downloading music unlawfully, I still purchase my music online or hard copy from the store or legally obtain it through my affiliations with record producers / music labels.

x2. Limewire was always a poor option IMO. I preferred Ares. It was way, way better. Even for getting movies it was good (I'd use it instead of torrents sometimes).

Newsgroup are SICK btw. Absolutely amazing, I've got a buddy who uses them. Private trackers can be really good too, especially if you've got a seedbox. I had one and used it for 3 months to get my ratio up on a legal, freely distributable, file sharing website. Of course.
I use Newzbin as an indexer. I get free use of it since I'm an editor there.
For my servers I use newshosting.com servers.
(10-31-2010, 02:33 AM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]I use Newzbin as an indexer. I get free use of it since I'm an editor there.
For my servers I use newshosting.com servers.

yeah im personally atm on the fence about renting a dedi server and renting space on it out to ppl
It's been a long time since I've looked at newgroups. Remember some pretty sick group names, stuff like alt.sex.aluminum.bat, alt.sex.farm.animals, etc.

Wonder if I can use Sympatico's new group server or if they even still have one.
(10-31-2010, 12:19 AM)paolo Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno about downloading music unlawfully, I still purchase my music online or hard copy from the store or legally obtain it through my affiliations with record producers / music labels.

You go right a head Paolo.....I like to spend my money on other stuff and I don't feel guilty about it.

The only and last CD that I ever bought was in 2000 or 2001 Eminem Marshal Mathers LP.
You did have to find your way through a lot of BS on Limewire but it was handy. I have been making a lot of purchases on iTunes lately but I don't like it. Why do I have to renew my user agreement like every 2 weeks with apple? It really pisses me off that they are always changing something, and it's not like I am going to read through their 100+ page user agreement everytime. Time to find another file sharing website.
I think Limewire should have been shut down years ago just because of the damage it causes in terms of virii. lol

I can't say that every album in my 1TB MP3 collection is legit but I do make an effort to support the artists I like. I have about 500 CDs that I've been collecting since 1987.
... or you could try Bearshare.com
(10-31-2010, 10:45 AM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]I think Limewire should have been shut down years ago just because of the damage it causes in terms of virii. lol

I can't say that every album in my 1TB MP3 collection is legit but I do make an effort to support the artists I like. I have about 500 CDs that I've been collecting since 1987.

brb with my external hdd....
Bearshare is horrid, IMO. Torrents are fine for the most part, although I do notice newsgroups making a massive resurgence of late.

This will last about another year, tops, until they start hammering newsgroups and admins. Stick with torrents.
people will find a way to get those things that they want that they don't wish to pay for.

Hell, I had more pirated crap as a kid before the internet hit than I do now -- eventually, I got to a point that if I really liked something, I'll support it with my wallet. I'm a big boy and can afford it now.
Amen DP,

I've heard all the arguements, my personal "favourite" is how stealing a digital copy isn't stealing because you aren't actually taking a physical thing.

The problem where that anaolgy fails is the fact that, yes you're only copying the "bits", but you then don't have a license to "use" those bits for the purposes that you intend.

Yeah I remember the days of the BBS, the upload / download ratios, all of it, but I've gotten to a point where if I can't afford to pay for something I'll find a free legal alternative, because there always is one somewhere.

NefCanuck
I've never pirated something that I would of bought.