FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Starter? who knows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dads mechanic skills.
Dad: "does the car have power?"
Me: "yes"
Dad: "does the car start?"'
Me: "No"
Dad: " ok ill order you a new starter."

Just asking how easy or difficult it will be to put in a new starter in my 05 2.3 focus?
uhm, are you sure it's the starter?
I have no idea. I have power tot he car, and cant get it started. even pusged it down my driveway to jump start it and nothing happened. if anyone can give me tips on the next step please do
Check the fuses
jump the terminals on the starter motor solenoid. if it starts you dont need a starter
(11-01-2010, 07:36 AM)xXCMGXx Wrote: [ -> ]jump the terminals on the starter motor solenoid. if it starts you dont need a starter

What? Not exactly...

do you have spark?
actually, give us a full description of the problem. when you turn the key what happens, what noises? etc. etc.
what does spark have to do with a no crank issue?
half turn of the key gives me all lights, turn the key to start car. NO Noise at all. not a click or spark. nothing!
(11-01-2010, 08:56 AM)xXCMGXx Wrote: [ -> ]what does spark have to do with a no crank issue?

all he said was no start, not no crank. Im taking guesses with what little info I had at the time.
(11-01-2010, 11:41 PM)KillaCamST Wrote: [ -> ]half turn of the key gives me all lights, turn the key to start car. NO Noise at all. not a click or spark. nothing!

ya know... could it be a key problem?
From FJ:
hope it helps, don't forget to check those fuses, and u can get starters for cheap from the wreckers.

Won't turn over, won't click, won't anything:

Is there power to the accessories?
NO - power distribution problem. Verify battery is good and power is making it to the central junction box and fuse box.
YES – continue

Is the PATS light flashing rapidly?
NO – continue
YES – PATS problem. Key is corrupt or not programmed, reciever is damaged or disconnected. ECU is damaged.

Is the Clutch in? (if equipped)
NO – depress clutch pedal all the way
YES – verify that the clutch switch is working properly by measuring resistance across the 2 wires when the clutch is depressed, should be 0 ohms, then continue.

Is the transmission in Park or Neutral? (if equipped)
NO – Move selector switch to Park or neutral.
YES – verify that the lever is actually moving the selector switch on the transmission to park or neutral, measure the resistance of the safety switch when in park or neutral, should be 0 ohms. then continue.

Do you have an alarm or lockout?
NO - continue
YES – verify that the alarm is disabled and the lockout is working properly.

Is the grey wire near the coil pack connected?
NO - connect
YES – continue

Is your engine ground less than 100 ohms?
NO – add a ground wire from a lift point to the chasis or batt-.
YES – continue

Is there power to the starter?
NO – repair broken wire or terminal.
YES – continue.

Is the starter grounded?
NO - repair engine to chasis ground wire.
YES - continue.

Is there 12v on the key terminal when the key is in the "start" position?
NO - check operation of the ignition switch, ignition relay, and fuse.
YES - bad starter.
Quick Update

Mechanic said the car is blowing a fuse, they need to find where the wire is being pinched or where a loose connection is!