FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: ss braided brake line question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have my ss brake line on, but the plastic protector coating on my driver side is torn/worn. most likely from abrasion/movement of the line it self. I am worry that it might wear off the braid and eventually the brake line inside it causing cathastropic failure.

any idea on how to stop this or how to fix it?
no idea on how to fix it but for stuff like this I would suggest to replace them and not take a risk. this is the reason why even high performance cars don't come with ss lines stock because they require maintenance/replacement and most people don't get under the car often enough to check them.
what brand are they? I have Russell and they have a clear plastic coating across the whole line plus another two at each end.
(11-07-2010, 03:28 AM)Benzin Wrote: [ -> ]no idea on how to fix it but for stuff like this I would suggest to replace them and not take a risk. this is the reason why even high performance cars don't come with ss lines stock because they require maintenance/replacement and most people don't get under the car often enough to check them.
what brand are they? I have Russell and they have a clear plastic coating across the whole line plus another two at each end.

I have what ever brand that I got from Ken's GB awhile back. I'm not sure if I have can get one or do I have to get a whole set.

I ghetto fixed it this morning. Taped the chaffed portion. It should be OK for the winter. I'll replaced all four lines in the spring.
(11-07-2010, 02:21 PM)patrick23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2010, 03:28 AM)Benzin Wrote: [ -> ]no idea on how to fix it but for stuff like this I would suggest to replace them and not take a risk. this is the reason why even high performance cars don't come with ss lines stock because they require maintenance/replacement and most people don't get under the car often enough to check them.

I have what ever brand that I got from Ken's GB awhile back. I'm not sure if I have can get one or do I have to get a whole set.

I ghetto fixed it this morning. Taped the chaffed portion. It should be OK for the winter. I'll replaced all four lines in the spring.

To be sure the clear plastic isn't nearly as tough as the steel braid... but in any event, you should consider fixing the routing to make sure there is no rubbing in the future. If you need to, the rubber grommet things on the line can be moved up and down to wherever the abrasion is.
(11-08-2010, 01:48 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2010, 02:21 PM)patrick23 Wrote: [ -> ]

To be sure the clear plastic isn't nearly as tough as the steel braid... but in any event, you should consider fixing the routing to make sure there is no rubbing in the future. If you need to, the rubber grommet things on the line can be moved up and down to wherever the abrasion is.

that's good to know. thanks.
Some 1/4" plastic wire loom may assist it to not wear out. The more security the better.
update: the line has ruptured. just this past sunday. pedal went soft then all the way to the floor. I have to put new original line back to that side only. car is DD. so if you have SS brake lines, GO CHECK YOUR BRAKE LINES NOW!!!!

SS line zero Ford eyelet one