FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: head gasket...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found out officially, the head gasket is toast in my.

$1900.00 to fix!!!

WTF am I going to do?
I'm not in a position to purchase a new car yet.
bummer.
get a haynes manual, a 233 piece mastercraft socket set for 100$, the head gasket and go to town on your own?
Ya seriously I would do that myself it I were you. Easy enough. Just gonna take some scrapes and a lot of loose change in the swear jar which could turn into the swear jug lol. But you can do it.
Did the chemicals that you use to clean your engine dissolve your head gasket? (I have seen what it has done to your "Zetec" logoBig Grin)

jk...

Time for an SVT engine and tranny swap.

jk...

Are you sure it's not just a t-stat housing leak that's running along the seams of you engine along the head gasket?
I should have added that I'm having the timing belt and a bunch of other little things.
Thanks for all the PMs offering to help guys it's much appreciated.
(12-03-2010, 04:39 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]$1900.00 to fix!!!

New Zetec engine is $450, R&R is 8 hours, taking my buddies shop rate of $68/hour, $550 lets say, Under $1000 you got NEWER engine in.

Yer getting hosed at $1900 Anthony.

(12-03-2010, 07:18 AM)dBlast Wrote: [ -> ]Did the chemicals that you use to clean your engine dissolve your head gasket? (I have seen what it has done to your "Zetec" logoBig Grin)

jk...

Time for an SVT engine and tranny swap.

jk...

Are you sure it's not just a t-stat housing leak that's running along the seams of you engine along the head gasket?

Nah, they showed me the gasket and where it's been pushed out.
It's being done at a reputable shop within the family.

Quote:It's being done at a reputable shop within the family.

No offence, but I'd hate to see what they would charge non family members. Thats too much for a head gasket job.
Lol its barely $200 in parts the rest is basically labour.
$1900? Does that Focus even worth that much?
(12-03-2010, 11:47 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]$1900? Does that Focus even worth that much?

To me it is.
Im also having my water pump replaced, timing belt done, washe fluid bote replaced, dashboard lights fixed, tranny flush and oil change, and back breaks done.

Including into $1900 price?
Reman head included? FRPP..... ????
well that changes things then if your getting all that done 1900$, still outrageous price but if your getting a crap ton of maintenance done to it, might aswell get it all done at once. i know it cost my buddy about 900 for everything u stated but head gasket
(12-03-2010, 01:14 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2010, 11:47 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]$1900? Does that Focus even worth that much?

To me it is.
Im also having my water pump replaced, timing belt done, washe fluid bote replaced, dashboard lights fixed, tranny flush and oil change, and back breaks done.

The head is coming off, any good mechanic will tell you to replace these things anyways since they are being removed to replace the head gasket.

I dont know - I still find that too much money to spending on the car.
Look at it another way though.

Assume that all the work is done @ $1,900 then divide that over a year to instead put that $ into car payments (1900 / 12 = $158.34)

Looking at it that way it doesn't seem that much to get all that work done, which will be warrantied for at least 90 days / 5,000km by law in Ontario.

'Cause unless you have a crapload of cash to put into a downpayment that amount per month isn't even going to make the monthly payments on the cheapest Elantra Hyundai sells ATM.

NefCanuck
the guy quoted me between 15 and 19 hundred bucks.

And yes Dan that is why I'm fixing the car.

I'll wait till the 2012 focus RS gets here.
(12-04-2010, 01:12 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2010, 01:14 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]

To me it is.

The head is coming off, any good mechanic will tell you to replace these things anyways since they are being removed to replace the head gasket.

I dont know - I still find that too much money to spending on the car.

^^This.

Tony if you have a chance get a quote somewhere else. This is ALOT of $$$ to drop.
I just hope that mechanic is not taking advantage of your trust.
ya man... it cost me 1200$ to R&R a 50 000km engine into my car

you gotta be better off swapping the engine man...
(12-04-2010, 04:42 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]the guy quoted me between 15 and 19 hundred bucks.

And yes Dan that is why I'm fixing the car.

I'll wait till the 2012 focus RS gets here.

Makes sense, even if something goes wrong further down the road, in Anthony's case he can, at worst rent a car for a couple of days until the green machine is upright again.

2012 Focus RS, I hope yuor wish comes true Anthony but I'm leery of betting that Ford will bring such a niche vehicle over here. Esp. one that is likely as not to thoroughly wallop a Mustang on a track while delivering at least twice the fuel economy...

NefCanuck