FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tires.....yet another question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes it is late for looking at winter tires. Though as I am only getting the focus in the next week, I need to have some ideas. I was just curious on some recommendations for daily commuting doing about 3000km a month, and majority of it on highways (401 -> 8-> 85 to Waterloo). If pretty much anything is going to have the tread to last a few seasons then it probably would not matter much. A few tire places told me I'd need performance winter tires (ie blizzak, toyo g02 +, pirelli winter carve). Is there any truth to that?

Was looking at:Blizzak WS70, conti extremewintercontact, nordics, nexen, xice etc.

I have read most of the winter tire posts I found, but just the distance/treadware and the info about perf. winter tires I was unclear on. Thanks.
You can get an economy winter tire with a higher speed rating. They just want to currently clear stock most likely. Most of the cheapo tires are gone and now they are left with the pricy ones. Look around and even give OK Tire (any store close to you) a call. Most of the store owners I know and they are fairly friendly and willing to help.

If you are in the Mississauga area (401 and Dixie rd) then call my cousin's tire shop R&H Tire (OK Tire Branch)
905 565 5570
Rob, he is my cousin but...
Ask for Joe and say Johnny referred you. I don't get anything outta it so you know lol. Just respect.
best deal is at canadian tire, if you pay an add. $7 a tire you get and unlimited km/5 year warrenty for ANYTHING that happens to the tire. You can go in every so offten, clame unusally high wear (ie, lie about how far you drive) and bam, u get a free labour, tire and balance. the only thing u need to pay for is another $7 a tire to cover the new ones they put on.
canadian tire is garbage.

they put three left tires on my car once.
Thank you for the information thus far.

@Scorcher000, I believe it was an OK tire store that suggest the performance winter tires (IIRC personally recommended blizzaks, and alternatives the toyo/pirelli). But thanks for the number. I am from the Burlington area.
@Mystake, Yes I agree Canadian Tire tends to have some challenges installing tires. They have demounted brand new tires and wheels from my old car and told me the snows i bought were too small. They completely ignored the set of winter rims i bought with the snows and had them in front of them Sad
@Sonic_mikey, very true about their tire warranty. It is quite handy, downside is local wait times at Canadian Tire can be quite long, if you do not have the spare time. (Pun not intended) Smile

I will keep my eyes and hears searching for some good deals over the next week. Still have to snag 15" steelies or other spare winter rims.
(12-11-2010, 05:18 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]canadian tire is garbage.

LMAO

I almost cried after i read this....

i've never heard of a "left tire" before

mounted in the wrong direction maybe? lol
lol agreed, they were probably mounted the wrong direction, you didn't get "lefty" tires haha
oh come on you guys know what I mean. Of course I don't mean literal left tires, they were just mounted onto the rim so that they'd hafta be mounted on the left of the car.
Where can I buy 4 left tires?
Here's an asymmetric and directional tireTongue
So a left side if you will.
[Image: bfgoodrich-g-force-t_460x0w.jpg]
(12-11-2010, 05:18 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]canadian tire is garbage.

You have three wheels on each side?
(12-11-2010, 03:55 AM)Ubiety Wrote: [ -> ]Was looking at:Blizzak WS70, conti extremewintercontact, nordics, nexen, xice etc.
What size rims?
Oh come on!!!

p.s. I got 4 left tires for sale, 1000$.
-_- but yes, out of 4 unidirectional tires, 3 were mounted in the same direction.
@CanadaSVT - 15" 195/60 R15 I believe is the correct size and what I'm looking at
(12-12-2010, 07:40 AM)Ubiety Wrote: [ -> ]@CanadaSVT - 15" 195/60 R15 I believe is the correct size and what I'm looking at

If your car isn't lowered you should look into a 195-65-15 it's a more common size and should be cheaper.

Blizzak's are really expensive and have a tendency to wear more quick cause there an ice radial.
If your doing mostly highway driving you should look for something in more of a basic snow tire with a harder rubber compound.
My 2 cents, I've gotten great life out of both Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires (40,000+kms on the set), as well as Toyo Garit HTs(going on 30,000 kms). The Garits fall into the 'performance' category and still look almost new, where the Goodyears are a more all round tire and still had great tread depth and grip when I removed them (poor wear pattern due to bad wheel bearing). Better life out of both of those than either my previous Blizzaks or BF Goodrich Winter Slaloms.
i have the goodyear nordic tires, never gotten stuck. and i've had them for about 4 winters now, still loooots of tread left.
I have the Goodyaer Nordics on my Focus (I really dont like them, stopping was ok but traction was poor) and they have worn out quick (less than 20k km on them). On my wifes sentra we had the Toyo Observes and they are way better and until we sold the car had 10-15k km on them and looked like new. The Nordics were cheaper but when I replace them (anytime now) I will likey go with the Toyo or Dunlop Graspics (had these on my old Cavy and they were great, way better than the nordics and as good as the Toyo's.
David
I've got Hankook iPike W409's... They are amazing in deep snow and slush but are so-so on ice.. which I guess no tire will ever be amazing on.
afaik you can put studs in goodyear nordic's too, even though studs are illegal in southern ontario.
Yeah, illegal. My tires have spots for studs as well.
Up in Sudbury my Dad has studs on his AWD Harley edition F-150.. I think he's good anywhere he goes!
Pages: 1 2