FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Chrysler Threatens Temper Tantrum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servle...y/Business/home

Quote:“Chrysler LLC cannot afford to manufacture products in a jurisdiction that is uncompetitive relative to other automotive jurisdictions.”

Translation: If you don't bend over some more, we're taking our toys, jobs and payroll and going elsewhere and YOU will be demonized by the public at large.

I'm far from union-friendly, but that kind of kicking and screaming in international media will NOT (or at least I hope it will not) go over well with the concerned parties involved.

Quote:The federal government asserts Chrysler paid more than $1-billion in taxes in the U.S. that should have been paid in Canada and has placed a $500-million lien on its Brampton, Ont., plant and withheld $300-million in tax rebates pending an arbitrated settlement.

So, if all of this is pending prior to the market and economies tanking... why bring it up? Whiny bitches. :angry:
I say the government seizes/forecloses on the plants, sells off the assets and gives each newly unemployed Chrysler worker an equal cut of the proceeds.

Then Canada tells Chrysler to go f*** themselves, they slap a 400% sales tarriff on Chrysler vehicles being imported into Canada, effectively shutting off all Chrysler sales in Canada. This of course would be in exchange for Ford, Toyota, Honda and GM giving unemployed Chrysler workers first preferential hiring at their facilities.

I'm sure that the other companies could take in some of the employees seeing their marketshare will improve.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 12 2009, 08:16 AM Wrote:I say the government seizes/forecloses on the plants, sells off the assets and gives each newly unemployed Chrysler worker an equal cut of the proceeds.

Then Canada tells Chrysler to go f*** themselves, they slap a 400% sales tarriff on Chrysler vehicles being imported into Canada, effectively shutting off all Chrysler sales in Canada. This of course would be in exchange for Ford, Toyota, Honda and GM giving unemployed Chrysler workers first preferential hiring at their facilities.

I'm sure that the other companies could take in some of the employees seeing their marketshare will improve.
[right][snapback]282511[/snapback][/right]
Of course, your comment is non-biased :lol:
With Chrysler owing a few or 500 million or so in back taxes, the Feds will bend over for the sake of the Canadian workers.
oldeguy,Mar 12 2009, 07:26 AM Wrote:Of course, your comment is non-biased :lol: [right][snapback]282512[/snapback][/right]
To the contrary. I have friends and family that work at GM AND Chrysler. Chrysler is demanding a 30% cut in wages over top of the GM agreement that GM workers ratified.

Has your mortgage dropped 30%? I would guess that is a "no". Saving your job when you have to declare bankruptcy anyways hardly constitutes a bargain.

So don't assume a bias until you know f*** all about me.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 12 2009, 08:31 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Mar 12 2009, 07:26 AM Wrote:Of course, your comment is non-biased :lol: [right][snapback]282512[/snapback][/right]
To the contrary. I have friends and family that work at GM AND Chrysler. Chrysler is demanding a 30% cut in wages over top of the GM agreement that GM workers ratified.

Has your mortgage dropped 30%? I would guess that is a "no". Saving your job when you have to declare bankruptcy anyways hardly constitutes a bargain.

[right][snapback]282513[/snapback][/right]
Perhaps you have misunderstood the comment, or I didn't communicate it very well. The non-biased comment was meant as a bit of humour, not as a personal comment. If it wasn't for the fact that there are 10,000 or so workers, like you and I who would lose their jobs, I would agree with your original statements. Chrysler, as far as I am concerned, can go away, just like AMC.
oldeguy,Mar 12 2009, 09:02 AM Wrote:

Perhaps you have misunderstood the comment, or I didn't communicate it very well. The non-biased comment was meant as a bit of humour, not as a personal comment. If it wasn't for the fact that there are 10,000 or so workers, like you and I who would lose their jobs, I would agree with your original statements. Chrysler, as far as I am concerned, can go away, just like AMC.
[right][snapback]282515[/snapback][/right]

Your're too diplomatic... I would have been like "f*** off Sparky, I was kidding... see the smiley face???" :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 12 2009, 09:40 AM Wrote:

Your're too diplomatic... I would have been like "f*** off Sparky, I was kidding... see the smiley face???" :lol:
[right][snapback]282521[/snapback][/right]
I have yet to meet him, so..........................
OAC_Sparky,Mar 12 2009, 09:16 PM Wrote:I say the government seizes/forecloses on the plants, sells off the assets and gives each newly unemployed Chrysler worker an equal cut of the proceeds.

[right][snapback]282511[/snapback][/right]

Brilliant plan. Let's do that. Who cares about all the people involved at Chrysler dealerships across the country. Screw them, we need to stand behind our grossly overpaid and under qualified union workers that have helped in a large way put the companies in this position. I say we fire all the union guys and get in some real workers looking to work for an HONEST days wages.
oldeguy,Mar 12 2009, 09:11 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 12 2009, 09:40 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]282521[/snapback][/right]
I have yet to meet him, so..........................
[right][snapback]282523[/snapback][/right]

That's never stopped most people on this board :lol:
Given the "new reality" of the situation, I would think that Chrysler if they gave a tinker's damn about Canada (Though frankly seeing how Canadian customers / dealers get shafted compared to the US, I doubt it) they would have kept this on the QT and worked with the feds in the backrooms to clear up this issue.

Grandstanding like this only serves to anger the public, create further negative connotations for a brand that frankly doesn't need them.

If Chrysler abandons Canada, they're only shooting themselves in the foot (again)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 12 2009, 09:52 AM Wrote:Given the "new reality" of the situation, I would think that Chrysler if they gave a tinker's damn about Canada (Though frankly seeing how Canadian customers / dealers get shafted compared to the US, I doubt it) they would have kept this on the QT and worked with the feds in the backrooms to clear up this issue.

Grandstanding like this only serves to anger the public, create further negative connotations for a brand that frankly doesn't need them.

If Chrysler abandons Canada, they're only shooting themselves in the foot (again)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]282528[/snapback][/right]

Kinda what I was thinking (right after my first thought which was that they must have fired every last PR person they had) ... talk about a PR nightmare - whoever was advising on their comms strategy should be shot.

My first gut reaction when I saw the Lasorda clips on TV was good fawkin' riddance - an emotional response to a piss-poor approach to asking for help.

Compare that childish performance to Mondragon's - "we're good - we saw it coming and acted a while back - let's work together and pull the industry through - the government can help by putting money in the jeans of the people driving old cars who should be ditching them" ... now that's a positive message.

The private investors who made the incredibly stupid decision to buy Chrysler when they did do not deserve any additional help at all - not from the union and not from the government. If they can't compete and survive with the same level of support being given GM, then I say there is no saving them no matter what anyone does - and we should all just save our money.

Ford is good, GM has a chance with help ... Chrysler in its current form is doomed IMO and will either go bankrupt or be sold off at bargain basement prices ... in any event, they will not survive IMO with the current ownership.

installman,Mar 12 2009, 09:44 AM Wrote:Brilliant plan. Let's do that. Who cares about all the people involved at Chrysler dealerships across the country. Screw them, we need to stand behind our grossly overpaid and under qualified union workers that have helped in a large way put the companies in this position. I say we fire all the union guys and get in some real workers looking to work for an HONEST days wages.
[right][snapback]282526[/snapback][/right]
The point was, Einstein, that cars will be sold whether they're Chryslers or not. If one company were to fall, the others would take up the slack. If Chrysler wants to pull out of Canada, fine. Let them pull all the way out of Canada. Other companies can absorb the business, and in turn the manpower as well.

As for the union cracks, GFY. You don't have the mental capacity to do my "honest day's work".
OAC_Sparky,Mar 13 2009, 12:28 AM Wrote:As for the union cracks, GFY. You don't have the mental capacity to do my "honest day's work".
[right][snapback]282573[/snapback][/right]

Go Find Yogurt? :lol: j/k

Yeah, if Chrysler was dumb enough to leave, as Sparky says: 1) Skilled workers would defect to the other auto manufacturing houses if they don't have anything else lined up. 2) Canadians would punish Chrysler SEVERELY for abandoning the Canadian market.

Besides, the only Chrysler vehicles I've lusted after in the last 10-15 years have been the ones with the V10s under the hood. New Challenger? Psssh. :lol: The only "new" Dodge I'd miss would be the Charger - I always thought it was underrated and under-supported by Dodge and its "loyal" fan base.

Bye Chrysler! And don't forget to pay your taxes before you turn out the lights, you wankers!
^^I always liked the SRT-8 models and the crossfire SRT-6 was a cool car as well. I think the best model they ever made and the one I still like the most is the 300c.