FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: parking brake cables
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So Ive got a parts number dilemma here with regards to the main parking brake cable that hooks up to the little cables that stick out of the drums.

Car in question is an 02 ZX5.

Now the dealer looked it up with the VIN number and comes back as saying the part number would be:
1M5Z 2A603 AA

Which needs to be special ordered (not normally kept in stock), but they have YS4Z 2A603 AB, which looks like what I would need.

I googled the first part number (1M5Z) and it looks like its the cable for an SVT Focus (rear disc).

Anyone ever encounter this (catalog says one thing, when in fact its the other)?
Whats the difference between the two part numbers?
Which one do I need (Im thinking its the YS4Z number)??

Thanks!
I know for a fact that rear disc cables are different than the drum cables. I did a drum to disc swap in the begining of the summer. The drum cables have a round tit on the end and the disc cables have a hole for the hooks on the end of the parking brake actuator arms.
Thanks for the reply!

I just had a quick chat with a Ford parts guy that I know, he says it can depend on the build date of the car as to which part number cable it needs (changed mid year 02 for some reason).

I also noticed this thread: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...p?tid=3066

But Im still confused as to why the 1M5Z number comes up in a parts list for SVT rear disc brake conversion when doing a search (FocalJet, FF etc)
(12-30-2010, 01:49 PM)2DXTRM Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply!

I just had a quick chat with a Ford parts guy that I know, he says it can depend on the build date of the car as to which part number cable it needs (changed mid year 02 for some reason).

I also noticed this thread: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...p?tid=3066

But Im still confused as to why the 1M5Z number comes up in a parts list for SVT rear disc brake conversion when doing a search (FocalJet, FF etc)

I hope I don't confuse the issue, but when I do a lookup with my supplier's database, here's what I get for 2002 ZX5

Front cable ... YS4Z2853AA (common to all models)

Rear cable ... YS4Z2A635AA (common to all models)

Parking brake control ... YS4Z2780AA (all but SVT, which is 2M5Z2780AA)

As far as I can tell (stand to be corrected) the 2A603 cable is specific to vehicles with AdvanceTrac IVD.
Ok, so I got some clarification from the Ford parts guy.

This is what I ws told. He looked it up with my VIN number.

This parts number: 1M5Z-2A603-AA is what I need for my car (mid 02 and newer with drum brakes without Advance Trac)

This part number : 1M5Z-2A603-AB is the one for the SVT Focus with disc brakes.

That one letter at the end buggers things up.