FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Going to Dallas!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my work is sending me to Dallas Texas for some training. Has anybody been in the area? I will be landing at Fort Worth airport. This will be my first time on a plane and first time out of Canada. What a place to go for the first time to the US. lol
(01-06-2011, 02:34 AM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]So my work is sending me to Dallas Texas for some training. Has anybody been in the area? I will be landing at Fort Worth airport. This will be my first time on a plane and first time out of Canada. What a place to go for the first time to the US. lol

I've been there but a long time ago ... they talk funny and often wear funny hats ... and IIRC they have don't have open carry but they do have "shall issue" ccw which means almost anyone can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon ... so you'll never know who's carrying a weapon.

Seriously I found Texans to be overall pretty friendly.

You do have a passport right? You'll need one 'cuz enhanced drivers license is no good for air travel.
I have my passport yeah. As for the weapons kind of assumed that since they are the biggest gun state in America lol
Only been there at the airport.
When I went to Vegas they also had that open carry weapon law. Pretty sweet.....kinda
Cool, I'm a bit nervous about the airports since I've never even been inside one before, but I'm sure there is lots of help and signs to figure everything out.
...how old are you?
25.. Yes I know, too old to not have travelled lol
I know it won't be a problem navigating around and stuff, it's just my natural instincts of going into the unknown making me a tad nervous. Really excited at the same time.
air ports are pretty easy, just go to the right entrance and area and you good right off the bat. tons of signs so u dont pee your pants Tongue

have fun budd
lol thanks Jamie
Nice, I'm heading to Austin TX at the beginning of Feb for some "work" training. Mostly product seminars and plant tours. It definately beats being in the office though.
tetra..i spend lots of time in Texas, mostly in the Houston area but have been to Dallas. Fort worth airport isn't too bad to navigate around, rentals are fairly easy to find (if that's what your going with). While your down there, you will notice it's alot different that it is here in Canada. Their driving is much better, mostly due to their amazing roadway systems(might take some getting used to, but it's so simple it's stupid). You'll also notice "everything is bigger in texas" is a true saying lol. As a heads up, if you like a good steak, look for a "Texas Roadhouse". By far some of the greatest steaks i've ever had for a very reasonable price! Other than that, if your going to have some spare time on your hands, check the sights and if you have an Iphone, download Yelp, not sure if they have it for the BB but it's very helpful in finding restaurants and places to see. Hope you have a blast while your there, Texas is definately one of my favourite places to be in the USA other than California.
Cool, good advice.. I am definitely gonna hit up a good steakhouse.
And yeah, I should be getting a rental from the airport. They must have a huge lot there?
I am headed to Dallas in March for work. But not befor I go to New Jersey in February. I am looking forward to my trips.
(01-06-2011, 04:17 AM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, I'm a bit nervous about the airports since I've never even been inside one before, but I'm sure there is lots of help and signs to figure everything out.

Beware of the radiation emitters! They'll irradiate you, your bags and swab them afterwards just to be sure!!
(01-06-2011, 11:00 AM)tetra Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, good advice.. I am definitely gonna hit up a good steakhouse.
And yeah, I should be getting a rental from the airport. They must have a huge lot there?

np tetra...as far as steakhouses, i find the "texas roadhouse" and another restaurant i just remembered about is "twin peaks". It's a chain that started around the dallas area. Pretty good food...

As far as rentals, AVIS probably has the biggest lot out there, i can't remember exactly as it's been about 8 months ago and about 25 different airports since then lol...but my word of advice is sign up for their loyalty program, it's free and usually whoever you rent from has a "member lot" that allows you to chose your rental and pay for the class u reserved or the class below the one you have. I'm with national and i typically get a SUV down in texas and pay for a mid size car. Just some food for thought tho...
Yeah, we have an online booking website with our company. Avis was the rental company at the airport.
oh, bring chewing gum with you on the plane, or anything that`ll make you salivate and chew. It`ll help your ears adjust to the air pressure as planes are pressurized to the equivalent of 8000ft above sea level.

Ear plugs are a good idea too, until you get used to it, planes are loud.
also if your flying air canada..make sure you bring earphones, lots of selection for movies/music/tv shows...and check Pearson security regulations for what you bring with you on your carry on...have seen way too many people getting hassled over nothing
Flying to, and driving in Texas is pretty straight forward. If it was your first time flying, and it was to Frankfurt, I'd recommend bringing a friend (seriously confusing airport).

Btw... steakhouses are great, but you need to find a good Smokehouse. When I was in Austin, we went to one called the Salt Lick. $20 all you can eat smoked meats (sausage, brisket, etc etc).. friggin' awesome. But it was in a dry county, so you had to bring your own liquor.

They also have some awesome tex-mex places. People in texas (especially the girls) are super friendly, so there's no lack of fun to be had. If you can fake a french accent, you'll have even more fun.
No need to fake it, my first language is French lol
Pages: 1 2