FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Home remedy for humidity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically, I need to humidify my house up.

According to the doctor, my lips being dry = why I'm sick.

It was a bit of a BS diagnosis (I went in for a head cold, nausea, head ache and other symptoms). Apparently my dry lips = dry lungs = virus playground.

So, within about a minute (and with him walking out the door), he told me to get a humidifier and to not bother taking cold meds. I said I didn't have one so he told me to turn off my house' heat and open a window. I said that was out of the question; I have roommates. He told me to get a sleeping bag and go sleep on the back porch.

for now I've placed half a dozen cups of water around the room and a couple of wet shirt hanging to dry.

Anyone got any other ideas? I'd boil water but I need something that'll last a while. My house' heating turns on frequently and so I think the air gets cycled rather quickly.
Buy a humidifier. Canadian tire sells them. You can get a room size one that can sit on a tabletop.
#1 get a humidity gauge, ideally your going to want 45% humidity to be real comfy. My guess is your probably < 10-15% at home, get that number up closer to 30% you'll sleep better, etc.

I like whole home since its quieter and sort of takes care of itself.

Easiest way to do whole home is a whole home humidifier. Installed this one in my last house worked great, you need to manually adjust them at times due to outside temp you can't have as high a humidity as 45% when its -25C outside...your windows will condence water on them so you'll know when to turn the humidity down.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/store...PartNumber
im gunna be stuck buying a humidifier aren't I...

i do want that home humidifier though. im gunna investigate one like the one at my parents old house. it was basically a sponge on a wheel that rolled around slowly in the water, the part not soaking having air blown through it. didn't need to be adjusted, evar. edit: forgot to mention it was built into the house's heating/air system

... off to walmart I go...
Just put some plastic dishes with water in it around your place, either next to the heat registers, or by the baseboard heaters. It will evaporate the water into the air, and work as a cheaper humidifier. If it works, then snag a Honeywell from Canadian Tire... Smile If you buy, go with a cool mist humidifier, as it won't give off additional heat. Read this... http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/ResearchC...umidifiers We have one in mine and my wife's bedroom, and one in my sons room. We notice a big difference in our house, especially since my son is somewhat asthmatic and prone to respiratory issues.

I'd recommend this unit, the Honeywell HCM-890: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/...?locale=en

We've had one for years, and works like a charm. Easy to clean, and you can get the replacement wicks/filters at Walmart or Canadian Tire.
heat vents are on the ceiling so couldn't do that, hence the hanging wet clothes.

thanks for the recommendation on a unit, btw. how often do you end up refilling it?
need to be careful with those cool mist humidifiers -- they can be breading grounds for mold and viruses (and have contributed to the spread of legionares in nursing homes that used them). They should be cleaned regularily.
Mystake, not sure where you live, but look in your city water rebates, if you buy something that is on the list you do get some money back. Also as others have said, stay away from sponges, (mould)

Get either water mist(has most rebate) or water thru , they are not that expensice, should be able to get something good for under 500$.
(01-07-2011, 11:05 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: [ -> ]need to be careful with those cool mist humidifiers -- they can be breading grounds for mold and viruses (and have contributed to the spread of legionares in nursing homes that used them). They should be cleaned regularily.

I clean mine at least monthly, and replace the wicks/filters every two to three months.
I bought a water mist humidifier @ Home Depot. It was 65$, 3gallon only hafta refill every 24hrs. I'm letting it start on max for the first few hours before I change it to low.

How would I go about finding these rebates? I live in Ottawa, so if there's a rebate anywhere in the country, I'm sure it'd be here.

also is legionella that much of a risk? Is simple cleaning evey month or two enuff?
(01-08-2011, 08:24 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a water mist humidifier @ Home Depot. It was 65$, 3gallon only hafta refill every 24hrs. I'm letting it start on max for the first few hours before I change it to low.

How would I go about finding these rebates? I live in Ottawa, so if there's a rebate anywhere in the country, I'm sure it'd be here.

also is legionella that much of a risk? Is simple cleaning evey month or two enuff?

I just looked up and seems like Ottawa doesnt have water rebate program for humidifers currently. Only for low flow toilets.

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/water/wat...ex_en.html
Lol,

Damn! >.<
im just wondering

the filter that came with my humidifier has turned yellow/orange in basically a week. Is there something wrong with the water that flows in my house or was the filter just garbage?
It's the hard water in Ottawa. The only way to get rid of that is a water softener. They all do that. Basically, the iron and other minerals in the water have dried and oxidized (rusted) on the filter. It shouldn't harm the function of the humidifier, you'll just need to change the filter/wick more often.
I am correct, Toronto water is better, then?

I remember Markham's water was awesome.
go to the grocery store and buy Distilled water, some stores sell it in a 15L (water cooler jug) and that is the best to use in a humidifier. Or you could always try boiling it before you use it in the humidifier?
i'd go through that 15L bottle in a day, cheaper I think to probably buy a new filter every month.